Might lose another job due to the way I am (long post)

This is a discussion on Might lose another job due to the way I am (long post) within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I recently got a part time job at an office supply store. I been working for them for about four weeks now and I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might lose another job due to the way I am (long post)

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Might lose another job due to the way I am (long post)

I recently got a part time job at an office supply store. I been working for them for about four weeks now and I was taken off the schedule this week due to my productivity being so low.I enjoy the job but I suffer from a slight learning disability as well as a physical disability that prevents me from joining the military (the physical disability not the learning disability). I possess more of an introvert personality. I cannot explain things very well in person but I can write very well. I was hired on as a cashier and I guess they received several customer complaints on me even though I don't feel I did anything to provoke those complaints. I tried to be friendly to the customers and did everything I could to ensure they received the customer service they rightfully deserved. I've been told that I either look mad or tired all the time so that may have something to do with it.

The whole reason I wanted to get into retail is so I can become more outgoing and not be the quiet and shy person I used to be. Due to my introvert personality that might be easier said than done. Sales is definitely not something I could do for a career unless it involves firearms which I am pretty knowledgeable about.

I lost several other jobs in the past due to my physical limitations and/or my slowed ability to learn new tasks. On just about every job interview I've gone through my mind has gone blank, and I know for a fact I think and talk better in writing. I been brainstorming ideas on how I can utilize my strong writing skills to make money but haven't figured it out yet.

At this point I am running out of options. All the jobs I am qualified to do I am usually physically unable to do them or the manager(s) feel I am too slow at grasping new tasks and I end up getting let go. I was born with cerebral palsy, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I am going back to school to be a medical biller and coder so I can hopefully get the hip replacement I will eventually need without paying an insane amount for it then I'd like to pursue a career in law enforcement.

I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me but I'm lost at this point. I did recently start going back to church for some spiritual support since I've lost my trust and faith in mankind and I've become a more positive individual. I just feel like I'm not being given the chance sometimes. Anyway sorry for the long post, that's all I had to say.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

You sound articulate to me, that's something you have going for you. My advice to anyone is to find something you do well and enjoy, and then figure out how to get paid for it. May you find that which you seek.

I think you have a good grasp on your abilities, but a negative self-concept that you don't deserve.

I have been recovering from a brain injury since 1999, and had limited ability to connect to people before that.

Your writing looks good, from just this one post. How is your ability to research, analyze and catalog information? I think you might surprise yourself with the sorts of things you can do.

If you can do those things, there are a lot of career fields open to you; it's just the matter of finding them. (And they aren't just obviously sitting out there, you kind of have to dig)

A note of advice: I guarantee you are really awesome at doing some things. And other things are hard for you. Don't beat yourself up, or spend too much time trying to undo that; find something that you already do well, and maximize your potential there.

If I were your boss, I would invest in extra training, to make sure you completely mastered some key tasks, and then know that I could always count on you to complete that task. Do you know how few employees that employers can truly depend on for that? The problem with fast learners, is that sometimes they are unable to maintain interest in methodological and "boring" things. I bet you kick ass on the fiddly stuff, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I recently got a part time job at an office supply store. I been working for them for about four weeks now and I was taken off the schedule this week due to my productivity being so low.I enjoy the job but I suffer from a slight learning disability as well as a physical disability that prevents me from joining the military (the physical disability not the learning disability). I possess more of an introvert personality. I cannot explain things very well in person but I can write very well. I was hired on as a cashier and I guess they received several customer complaints on me even though I don't feel I did anything to provoke those complaints. I tried to be friendly to the customers and did everything I could to ensure they received the customer service they rightfully deserved. I've been told that I either look mad or tired all the time so that may have something to do with it.

The whole reason I wanted to get into retail is so I can become more outgoing and not be the quiet and shy person I used to be. Due to my introvert personality that might be easier said than done. Sales is definitely not something I could do for a career unless it involves firearms which I am pretty knowledgeable about.

I lost several other jobs in the past due to my physical limitations and/or my slowed ability to learn new tasks. On just about every job interview I've gone through my mind has gone blank, and I know for a fact I think and talk better in writing. I been brainstorming ideas on how I can utilize my strong writing skills to make money but haven't figured it out yet.

At this point I am running out of options. All the jobs I am qualified to do I am usually physically unable to do them or the manager(s) feel I am too slow at grasping new tasks and I end up getting let go. I was born with cerebral palsy, but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I am going back to school to be a medical biller and coder so I can hopefully get the hip replacement I will eventually need without paying an insane amount for it then I'd like to pursue a career in law enforcement.

I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me but I'm lost at this point. I did recently start going back to church for some spiritual support since I've lost my trust and faith in mankind and I've become a more positive individual. I just feel like I'm not being given the chance sometimes. Anyway sorry for the long post, that's all I had to say.
    SubNine,

Join Toastmasters. It'll help you practice your speaking skills.
    Find an Amway person and get their books and CDs on people skills.
    Find a Dale Carnegie course. At least pick up How to Win Friends and Influence People.
    Read How to Dress for Success.
    Stand in front of the mirror and practice smiling (I'm serious).

Improve your attitude, and they will be knocking on your door to come work for them.

Hang in there. Work at this and it will change your life.

Good luck and God bless.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

First of all, stop putting yourself down, it isn't your problem, it's your employer. They cannot threaten to fire you, they either do it or they don't. They are in violation of the Federal law concerning people with limitation and or disability. I'd say you stand a good chance of having a day in court with them if they continue by opening up that can of worms called "discrimination".

The other advice here is good as well. I feel the same way at times. I used to write my feelings better than speaking them, but over time and with lots of practice, I overcame that. I think you can do so as well.

My thoughts and prayers are for you to resolve this situation you have found yourself immersed.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    First of all, stop putting yourself down, it isn't your problem, it's your employer. They cannot threaten to fire you, they either do it or they don't. They are in violation of the Federal law concerning people with limitation and or disability. I'd say you stand a good chance of having a day in court with them if they continue by opening up that can of worms called "discrimination".

The other advice here is good as well. I feel the same way at times. I used to write my feelings better than speaking them, but over time and with lots of practice, I overcame that. I think you can do so as well.

My thoughts and prayers are for you to resolve this situation you have found yourself immersed.
    SubNine take it a step further and write a book about how you are being discriminated against. People eat that up. Once published it will be a source of income (maybe even a cash cow for a short time. Promotion of the book to increase sales possibly even get interviews from media people.) There are publishers that will pay to have it published and cut you a sum of the profit (royalties), you could publish it yourself (self publish) or you can sell your book to the publisher for a small chunk of cash (usually not the best option).

Just because some people are ignorant shouldn't mean you have to put yourself on their level. It does sound like the employer is discriminating. The only thing I would be leery is if you are you still on payroll did they actually fire you... If you where fired then you definitely have a lawsuit and possibly big time compensation.
    If they just took you off the schedule then technically you are still employed by them. You would have to check up on the discrimination laws as they may be attempting to have you quit so you can't file a lawsuit.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Are you familiar with the Americans With Disabilities Act? There are protections in there that employers must follow. Know the law and protect yourself. The former employers should have documentation of why you were let go...and those reasons should be in compliance with the ADA...if not, they are in violation of the law.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Administrator
    Try writing a book.
    Lots of people making decent $$$ writing books.
    You can even self publish.
    Even very simple Childrens Books are hot if you can come up with a creative idea.

Also..."Mankind" in general is on a downhill slide so losing some trust & faith in "Mankind" would be a perfectly normal and human reaction to the fact that increasing numbers of population just plain suck these days.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Try writing a book.
    Lots of people making decent $$$ writing books.
    You can even self publish.
    Even very simple Childrens Books are hot if you can come up with a creative idea.

Also..."Mankind" in general is on a downhill slide so losing some trust & faith in "Mankind" would be a perfectly normal and human reaction to the fact that increasing numbers of population just plain suck these days.
    Actually I second the book idea. I'm no writer. That much should be clear just reading a few of my posts, but I've seen it work. A longtime former neighbor of mine has had multiple disabilities that cause all kinds of physical and seemingly mental problems. Basically his brain is wasting away. There are many things he just can not do. What he could do was master what many consider a childs toy. He also discovered he was an excellent writer.

As it turns out, at some point he started writing books about his toy accomplishments(yo-yoing) and a few other things and that was his full time income for many years. To give you an idea of how well that worked for him, he lives in a 5 bdrm house with attached garage, multiple cars and all accoutrements in a neighborhood of half-million dollar homes.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Do some research on disability friendly jobs. If you live near any military bases or other federal government employers, contact their hiring personnel. These places have incentives and, in some cases, requirements to employ the disabled. If you can't find anything specifically with the government, look at contractors who do business with the government. We have legal requirements that a certain percentage of our contracts be done with disadvantaged businesses, which businesses that employ as certain percentage of disabled persons qualify as.
    The medical billing you mentiones is also not a bad idea. If you get good at it and can get to a point where you are able to manage billers, you can make good money at it. My mother has been doing it from her home for about 10 years. She handles billing for about 6 doctors offices and only has to leave her home office about 2-3 times a month after she does the initial training of their on-site personnel. If you are good at it, you can actually do very well financially.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Check the newspaper, someone has to write all the obituaries, etc. I know a few people who do this for a living, and love it.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    SIGguy beat me to it. You need to check with an attorney and check out the American with Disabilities Act. Your local employment commission should also be able to help. All employers are required by law to follow its guidelines. It sounds to me that you would easily fall into a group that this law was designed to help. Good luck with the job.

Go get a CDL and drive truck, Im serious!
    My GLOCK goes BANG every time!

Stay positive, you sure write better than me, i sure wish i had your gift. I am thinking maybe try out a Gun or Pawn shop for now. You could work on your social skills around people with a common love of firearms. As far as finding a job that you LOVE, good luck... I work for the state and hate mine, but with 15 years in I am pot committed.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Quote Originally Posted by Ice Man View Post
    Go get a CDL and drive truck, Im serious!
    This might be your answer right here...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links