Vietnam, 35 years later (pictures)

This is a discussion on Vietnam, 35 years later (pictures) within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I asked QKS if it was ok to post this. He didn't see a problem but said it was my call. Some of the images ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam, 35 years later (pictures)

Vietnam, 35 years later (pictures)

I asked QKS if it was ok to post this. He didn't see a problem but said it was my call. Some of the images might conjure up bad memories but I feel it is important to remember. There are a lot of powerful images in the post but images that should be remembered, not forgotten.

April 30th, was the 35th anniversary of the Fall of Saigon and the end of the Vietnam War, and last Tuesday, May 4th, was the 40th anniversary of the shooting of protesting students at Kent State University. The Vietnam War and America's involvement in it affected the lives of millions for well over a decade, exacting a massive human cost with millions of deaths and countless injuries - both physical and mental - that plague many of those involved to this day. United States military involvement and troop strength grew rapidly after 1964 - at its highest level in 1968, with over 500,000 troops on the ground. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. now bears the engraved names of 58,267 of those troops. It's nearly impossible to encapsulate an event of such scale in a handful of photographs, but here, 35 years after the end of the conflict, is my attempt

Vietnam, 35 years later - The Big Picture - Boston.com

2. Remove Ads

Very interesting. A most harrowing experience for most participants. At least there's a record of it. Sad as it is.

Thanks for the link!

Photo #4 may have been a Sea Knight from my Squadron, HMM-261 (Raging Bulls)

The Bulls were a big part of Op Utah & Hastings. Although I wasn't in the Corps until '81 and part of the Squadron until '83.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Looking at a piece of history of which many of my friends did not survive...
    Thanks for the post.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I am real quiet right now. Excellent photos.

Semper Fi...
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

Thumbs up

I served in Iraq in 2006, and I have the most respect for those who fought in Vietnam! I Salute those who served!!!
    Last edited by Ovrmydeadbdy; May 10th, 2010 at 09:03 AM. Reason: i didnt want a dancing bananna
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

We won every major battle we were in.It was the politicians in washington that gave in.It was them that directed the war from 10,000 miles away.There too many rules:You can't bomb hanoi,you can't do this,you can't do that,they should have let the ground commanders run the war.It still ticks me off.Oh well,as the op said it was a long time ago,time to get off my soap box.

Although 35 years have passed since the fall of Vietnam to the Communists (40 years since I returned), those of us who were there (speaking primarily for myself and not trying to put words into any Vietnam Vets mouth) still remember as if it were yesterday. Most of my feelings remain supressed deep within. Sometimes you cross paths with another Vietnam Vet, a friend, or during a reunion, where you are able to discuss the past, but for the most part you keep quiet. It's difficult to explain your feelings to those who have not experienced the "ways of the Nam". Over the years it has gotten a bit easier to remember. I would even like to go back and visit. The Vietnam "Wall" is one of the reminders of this war, that truly brings up incredibly deep emotions within me. I still harbor resentment of our country's leaders, in their despicable actions that affected all of us "in country". I often dream of running across McNamara and Johnson in a dark alley. Oh well...times past. I at least made it home. 58,000 plus didn't and several thousand MIA/POW's didn't. I will NEVER FORGET! To all the Vietnam Vets on this forum....I say: "Welcome Home Brother"...

To the men and women serving in our military today...I say "Thank You" for all that you do and choosing to be in uniform and for the sacrifices that you and your families make to allow us to continue to live free.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Lots of young lives lost. I hope the upcoming young iPod generation understands the sacrifice given by those brave troops. Maybe this country won't repeat the same mistake. Let the military fight to win the war, not be hampered and directed by the suits in DC. It's been 35 years, do ya think we learned anything?
    May we never forget those in uniform who protect us night and day in lands far away. And those in all wars who paid the supreme sacrifice in defense of our country. May God Bless our Troops and First Responders.

..been a long time since I was that young..... and that's a good thing.....

Semper Fi
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Great Photos! I wish I could say thanks for the memories, but I'm still a little bitter over my time in Country! It's very hard to accomplish what you were there to do when you are restricted at every turn, and the enemy is not! Also, the welcome home that I received was not the most pleasant experience I've been through in my life! Do miss the friends that did not make it back!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Here's a few more photo's in this link:

Captured: A Look Back at the Vietnam War on the 35th Anniversary of the Fall of Saigon – Plog Photo Blog

Some are the same as the OP, however, many different ones as well.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

My quote: welcome home hurt me more than the actual experience ever did.That is something I will never forget,forgive yes,forget no.I can barely stand to see the wall.I know too many names on it.March 13,1966 to feb 1,1967.I almost made it without it without a serious scratch.I pray there will never be another one like that.If your going to fight,fight to win or don't fight at all.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar

wow...

Thats tense. way before my time so I couldnt begin to imagine what that might have been like.

very sad.

Even sadder is the fact that humankind will repeat...
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links