Just watched a good friend have a seizure.

This is a discussion on Just watched a good friend have a seizure. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My holiday weekend is starting out real crappy. I was supposed to have my daughter this weekend but she sprained her ankle and her foot ...

Thread: Just watched a good friend have a seizure.

Unhappy Just watched a good friend have a seizure.

My holiday weekend is starting out real crappy. I was supposed to have my daughter this weekend but she sprained her ankle and her foot needs to be elevated for 4 days. No daughter this weekend, no parade or fireworks.

A good friend of mine is in town so he called me not long ago and asked if they could come by and play some cards. Always enjoy seeing him so he and his girlfriend came over.

He was fine one moment and Terri says. Here he goes and sure enough he goes into a seizure. Sucks watching a good friend have a seizure and there is not a damn thing you can do about it. We layed him down, I called 911 and he is on his way to the hospital.

He is on medication for seizures and always takes it on time but 8 years ago he was shot in the head with a 9mm at point blank range. His ex-girlfriend pulled the trigger. They think left over bullet fragments are the reason for the seizures but his neurologist is not positive.

So my day started off with bad news and is ending in even worse news. It hurt to watch him have a seizure and it still hurts as I type this.

I'm hoping tomorrow is a much better day.

2. Remove Ads

That really really sucks. Sorry to hear about your friend and what happened to him. I hope that he will be ok.

I'm sorry to hear you also will not get to keep your daughter this weekend. Maybe you can get some extra time later to make up for it.

Hope your holiday gets better.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    I've seen a couple of folks going through a seizure. Really scary stuff for the witnesses. Thankfully I actually didn't know either of them. Still, plenty awful to watch.

Try seeing a baby having a seizure... :(

Hope your friend gets better.
    If handguns cause crime, mine are deffective - Ted Nugent

Seizures are scary. My son was not quite two, when he had one. I was afraid we were going to lose him right there.

It was not fun, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I don't think there's anything anyone can really do about it, once it's set in motion.

My son is ok. Apparently he had an ear infection that gave him a fever. The fever just came on so fast and hot, that it triggered a seizure.

I feel for you, hope everything turns out ok
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I don't think there's anything anyone can really do about it, once it's set in motion.
    Once it starts there is nothing anyone can do. That is the scary part.

I talked with his G/F about 3 hours ago and they are going to run a CAT scan but I won't know more till the morning.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    While you can't do anything for the seizure, there is something that you can do to keep him safe. Forget the old idea of sticking something in the mouth, as the jaw is usually already clenched shut by the time that you get to him. If the mouth is still open, you can place a wallet on the mouth. The most important thing is to turn him on his side, to allow any secretions to drain out, and to make sure that the tongue doesn't fall back and block the airway. Most seizure deaths are anoxic deaths, meaning lack of oxygen. If is lying on his back, then the airway is easily blocked. After placing him on is side, make sure that there is nothing near that he is likely to knock over on himself. After that, just keep an eye on him until the ambulance arrives.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" J. Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Squawker View Post
    If is lying on his back, then the airway is easily blocked. After placing him on is side, make sure that there is nothing near that he is likely to knock over on himself. After that, just keep an eye on him until the ambulance arrives.
    Terrie did lay him on his side and EMS was on scene just under 5 minuets from when I dialed 911.

I talked with him today. He was still pretty out of it and he doesn't remember it happening. The CAT scan turned up nothing and he now has a new appointment with his neurologist.

He is back home now and resting. Just gotta wait to see what happens next.

Distinguished Member
    Sorry to hear this WhoBe.

One good thing to come of it has been the awareness you have reminded us of. Thank you Squaker.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    As a younger child, I watched our black lab have a seizure. She was standing next to the fireplace/mantle, and she hit herself on the mantle many times,and "went to the bathroom" all over the floor. It still bothers me. I couldn't imagine watching a human, much less a friend going through it. Best of wishes.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

There is no memory of it after a seizure.

Best thing is to let them know, it DOES NOT bother you. People who have them tend to feel self-conscious about it and that their friends won't understand or won't want to be around them due to it. I told my friend, don't worry about it..... we can handle it.... just don't tick us off right before you have one or we might kick you around a bit while you are down. He laughed, and was glad that we all understood.

Once while playing poker he had one. When he came back to, we told him we played his hands for him while he was out and he had lost all of his money, because he kept making bets on bad hands. He appreciated the humor and us kidding him in that manner.

But, we were always very concerned for him.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Sorry about your friend, I hope everything works out. I know its scary, my wife has seizures and it gets to me every time she has one.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    a small bleed in my brain caused seizures in 2003...it was controlled with medication while i underwent every test in the world and healed itself (they call that a miracle)...it isnt a fun thing to go through and when they happen in public you learn a lot about human nature as people treat you as though youre going to give them a disease...

i'm sure it isnt easy to watch and although my daughter was only 3 at the time she can still remember some of the effects it had on me...

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    A close cousin of mine had a dirt bike accident 22 years ago when he was 11yrs old. He sustained a massive head injury, but atleast he survived and is able to function normally for the most part but has never had an adult life (always lived with his parents and never had a girlfriend). He had seizures but was able to keep them under control with meds. Well we took him to a nudie bar for his brothers bachelor part and got him a lap dance. That brought on a seizure and he has had them regularly ever since.

Links