Lost A Family Pet Yesterday

This is a discussion on Lost A Family Pet Yesterday within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just last night around 6PM, we lost Marcus, one of our 3 parakeets due to an unexpected illness as I noticed he was laying in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost A Family Pet Yesterday

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar

Lost A Family Pet Yesterday

Just last night around 6PM, we lost Marcus, one of our 3 parakeets due to an unexpected illness as I noticed he was laying in the bottom of the cage and appeared to be lethargic. I was visiting at that time too. Witnessing it, he died peacefully in my mom's hands as she tried to comfort him during his last min. here on earth, relieved that we were there for him before he passed away. I just hope that he is at peace and is in a much better place now, if there is such thing as a paradise for birds, from a Christian standpoint. He will be missed and it will take us a while, including the other 2 surviving parakeets, to adjust to our loss as he is family. I was so disappointed that I couldn't even stay until the end of Sunday mass and left after I put some money in the church basket. And to make me me feel a little better, which I am now, I also bought and put some flowers on his unmarked grave where we gently placed and buried him at my mom's backyard. Just something to share with you guys as this 4th of July was a bittersweet one because of his passing. Feel free to post your condolances as they are much appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Sorry to hear. Not easy to lose a family member, be it winged or otherwise.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Much appreciated.

Sorry to hear about Marcus.... how old was he?

About 3 or 4 yrs. old. But he was the largest among the 3 of them.

Sorry about the loss of your bird...they can be as close a family member as a dog or cat...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sorry for your loss. Pets come into your life and become a very real part of your family. It's a shame that their life span is not closer to ours. Just remember that you did the best you could for them while you had them, they couldn't have done any better anywhere else.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I'm sorry to hear about Marcus. They always leave us to soon. A couple years ago one of our parakeets passed away while in my hand. He fell from his perch and was on the floor of his cage. I picked him up and he passed a couple of minutes later. Sky (my parakeet) was special. He had a special friendship with one of our cats, Braveheart. Braveheart was like his best friend and protector. Braveheart seemed to keep the other cats away from Sky's cage. When Sky passed Braveheart was very depressed. He would mope around the house all day. It is a wonder how a creature so small can have so much love in them where they can touch us so deeply. We got another parakeet for Braveheart to buddy up with. His name is Kato and he even looks a bit like Sky. Kato did bring Braveheart out of his depression and has gotten to be his friend. I know it may sound crass but get another parakeet when the time is right. It should do wonders. Take care.

We also got 2 right now, a yellow one named Rizzy and a green one (the most senior of them all) named Junior. From then on, we will just keep 2. More than 2 is just too much to worry about. Once one of them pass, we will get a new one. But I'll make sure the age of the new one is almost the same as the surviving parakeet. Before Marcus' passing, we also lost a yellow keet named Yam, as old as Junior (around 8 yrs. old), about 8 mos. ago. She also slipped and fell to her death and died instantly too. That's how Rizzy replaced her and got introduced in the family. So far, the pair are doing fine and are dealing with the death real well, as Junior has dealt with a few before.
    Last edited by Jason Storm; July 5th, 2010 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about Marcus. They always leave us to soon. A couple years ago one of our parakeets passed away while in my hand. He fell from his perch and was on the floor of his cage. I picked him up and he passed a couple of minutes later. Sky (my parakeet) was special. He had a special friendship with one of our cats, Braveheart. Braveheart was like his best friend and protector. Braveheart seemed to keep the other cats away from Sky's cage. When Sky passed Braveheart was very depressed. He would mope around the house all day. It is a wonder how a creature so small can have so much love in them where they can touch us so deeply. We got another parakeet for Braveheart to buddy up with. His name is Kato and he even looks a bit like Sky. Kato did bring Braveheart out of his depression and has gotten to be his friend. I know it may sound crass but get another parakeet when the time is right. It should do wonders. Take care.
    Since both our keets died from falling from the perch into the cage, is there anything we can do to reduce the impact of the fall? A thicker newpaper or magazine be okay? Or is there a much better cushion? A keet can slip at any moment too and it is best to learn from it and take precautions. Also as they get older say around 10 yrs. or older, it is also said that you might have to lower the height of the perch from the bottom of the cage.

So sorry for your loss. Before I was old enough and able to have larger pets, I had Happy, a light blue parakeet. I learned to take care of Happy myself, to give him love, and treat him with respect and in return I received the same from him. That was a heckuva lesson to learn as a young child. I was a young teen when Happy passed. Although I had other pets by that time, Happy was my first and he was my bud. He would sit on my shoulder or on the top of my head and just talk away. I cried so much I could hardly see because my eyes swelled. I built him a coffin out of popsicle sticks and chose his resting place as it was befitting of my best friend. All these years I have never forgotten Happy and the life lessons I learned from him. I'm sure you will forever remember your "keet" and he will hold a special place in your heart and in the hearts of your family. My condolences.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Sky was in distress before he fell. I saw him just before he fell. It appeared as though he had some sort of neurological problem. It was the first time I had seen one die. Sky was our fifth parakeet to pass. Our first to pass was Buddy (she had a tumor in her head, died at the vet's during surgery), then Blue, then Baby (our first parakeet), then Little Prince, then Sky. Each was special in their own way.

VIP Member
    Our pets become such important members of our families... it's hard to understand how a small bird can mean so much.

But yet, even the Lord sees every sparrow that falls.

My deepest sympathy to you and your family.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

You know about my loss so I'm right there with you,each animal has it's own personalities and that's what draws us to them and them to us.over time the pain gets less and we can remember the fond memories
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your pet.
    Time will help with the sadness, but also provides for memories to fill your thoughts, and those will bring gladness.
    Take care
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links