My Lab had another seizure

This is a discussion on My Lab had another seizure within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My chocolate lab (Lucky) couldn't get up when I got home from the gun range,it seemed to be her left front leg was rigid and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Lab had another seizure

My Lab had another seizure

My chocolate lab (Lucky) couldn't get up when I got home from the gun range,it seemed to be her left front leg was rigid and she was panting like after she had some seizures in the past,If she isn't any better in the morning I'm afraid I may have to take her to the vet,her health has deteriorated pretty rapid in the last few weeks,shes 13 and has been my buddy thru a lot of things,I swore when I use to rent that I would only rent where dogs were allowed.The last 3 1/2 years she has had a large fenced yard to call her own,arthritis and old age has gotten the best of her and I can't stand to see her suffer much more.The bad part is I was hoping she would pass in her sleep and spare me the pain of having to make the decision.This will be one of the hardest decisions I've ever made.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Is she on anti-seizure meds ? They can work well with most dogs.

I lost one .... last Oct, that had what they called Grandma Seizures, one after another after another ... continuous. OFten leads to a stroke, which her's did. Whole left side paralyzed and she was soooo scared and didn't understand what was happening to her. It was terrible to go thru for her, and me.

I hope you do not go thru any of that, nor does she. But there are good treatments for seizures since you know she's having them, that will control it.

Good luck. Spend all the time you can with her, so you don't regret that later. Reassure her, as that can do a lot to calm her and prevent seizures at times.

I understand what it's like, all too well.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I truly feel your pain...just went through a similar situation with our Rhodesian last September...the wife and I were both crushed. It is a very horrible thing to have to put down a 'friend'.
    Hang in there...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

She has arthritis in her hips and was barely able to get around,she can't stand up and move even with help,and I'm disabled with a spinal cord injury,She's in a lot of discomfort and it would be selfish for me to keep her because I can't bring myself to be able to put her down.Screens getting blurry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Hey Steve, regardless of your decision, just know that you did the very best for her and that she could not have done any better with anyone else. It's hard to give them up, but you don't want your friend to suffer either.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Vet visit

Thanks to a couple good friends I got her to the Vet,signing the papers to euthanize was the hardest thing I ever had to do.She was the sweetest dog I ever knew and the only thing she ever attacked was food.She is out of pain now,I haven't cried like this since my dad died

Bummer... sorry for your lose. It's a really hard thing to do but, the dog isn't suffering anymore. It's the humane thing to do.

Sorry for your loss of a great friend.

Dogs are wonderful...You did the right thing.
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

Hey Steve, even though it's hard, you did the best you could do for her. She will always be with you, and you with her.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Thanks to a couple good friends I got her to the Vet,signing the papers to euthanize was the hardest thing I ever had to do.She was the sweetest dog I ever knew and the only thing she ever attacked was food.She is out of pain now,I haven't cried like this since my dad died
    It's been a rough 4th of July for both of us since I lost a family pet too. I still think about that Saturday night. My condolances for your loss.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Dukal sorry for your loss, losing a pet is rough.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member
    Sorry to hear this Dukal and Jason. I am bleary eyed just thinking about it.

Sorry for your loss. I know that won't help, but we do understand. Been there. I know the choice I made for mine was the best for her, but it was sure hell on me. Still think about a couple I've lost , and still miss them and that's been 10 yrs.

Just remember you had to do what was best for her, and she is no longer having all of the pain and suffering.

I saw a saying once, "dogs get points in heaven based upon the pain their owners feel when they lose them" .... if true, then mine is in a extremely good place. I'm betting yours is as well.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sorry about your loss. I've been thru it also, its not easy.

VIP Member
    I've been there several times myself buddy, and will be there again.

You second guess yourself as to what more you could have done. The answer is, nothing, you did the right thing.

Remember the good times and may you find some solace in the following.........

The Rainbow Bridge
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links