Getting a mammogram to see if I have breast cancer

This is a discussion on Getting a mammogram to see if I have breast cancer within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We just got the "official" letter today from the hospital that says: 1.) the lump is benign (non cancerous) 2.) keep an eye on it ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting a mammogram to see if I have breast cancer

We just got the "official" letter today from the hospital that says:
    1.) the lump is benign (non cancerous)
    2.) keep an eye on it yourself
    3.) come back in 6 months for another mammogram / ultrasound

What I am glad to see , and sad at the same time, is that many of you are now aware of male breast cancer and realize that you can get it and to keep an eye on your boobies and the famliy jewels. What I am sad to see is that many of you did not know you could get breast cancer (for the record, I had heard men could get it, but never gave it much thought), which shows that the public awareness is not there in general.
    SO
    Tell all your male friends that after they are done checking to see if they have a third nut down there between the legs, to get busy on their boobies looking for lumps or tenderness. (But please do not be thinking of me as you and or they do it). :)

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the good news!!! And thanks for the heads up!

I'am sorry to hear that I hope everything turns out ok for you. For what its worth my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2004 and is doing well despite a couple of setbacks. Please keep us informed and may god bless you.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    First, I reread my post. It sounded exactly like I had had testicular cancer. I should be more careful what I type. I had a different condition, which was indeed quite painful. It doesn't make it any better to have a doctor tell you, "If it hurts, it's a good sign." Hurting there is definitely not good.

Second, now you get to find out why it hurts, and hopefully get it to stop. In my case it took about 2 years to get the doc to do surgery. Another 6 months or so to heal.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

update

Even tho the second doctor, the one who read the mammogram and ultrasound said " no worrys", my famliy doctor doesn't feel this way.

the update on my lump and growing breast:

update 7-10-06
    Well I came home today early to get some paperwork done and fix our dishwasher when the phone rang and the caller id showed it was my family doctor.

He called to ask how my breast lump was doing, if it had shrunk. I informed him that even tho the other doctor who read the mammogram and ultra sound said I didn't need to worry about it, that the lump had grown in size from nothing to now the size of two thumbs wide and tender as hell under the nipple.

So, my doc ordered me to go see a surgeon to have the lump removed. He says he has seen too many cases where they played the wait and see game where the outcome has been bad.

So, I go in this Thursday at 2 p.m. for a consultaion.
    I gotta tell ya, I have done something I probably shouldn't, and that is look up information on the internet, and some of the pictures of males who had lumps removed are pretty disfiguring. I already am gonna scare kids to death when I loose my hair and they see the scar that runs from the top of one ear , over the head, to the top of the other ear. Now I get to further scare them when I goto the beach and they see I only have one booby.

Boyz and Girlz, if you have a boo boo, don't be an ass and avoid going to the doctor. Your not only jepordizing your life, but also the lives of your family.

While the prospect of getting cut open and loosing a boob is not something to be happy about, I am just glad that right now, I have a doctor that does not want to play the "wait and see" game. And doing it this way, removing what ever is in there now before it gets big, is less intrusive to my body, and hopefully safer.

That being said, I am still scared crapless.

Lead Moderator
    Tec, glad it's good news.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I am not sure if that's good news or not but it does make me feel better that your regular doctor is taking the ball and running with it. Sounds like he has some sense about him and he is trying to look out for you.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    Tec, glad it's good news.
    I'm going in to have the consultation, the part where they discuss removing my breast and or other options. I don't really view that as good news.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry
    I am not sure if that's good news or not but it does make me feel better that your regular doctor is taking the ball and running with it. Sounds like he has some sense about him and he is trying to look out for you.

Ti.
    it's very reassuring. yet still scary cuz my doctor is the kind that woud rather let your ear infection, if not too too bad, run it course before he prescribes antibiotics. Know what I'm saying??

Tec,

When I was about 17 years old, I started having pain off and on. Left nipple. Ignored it. It kept reminding me it was there. A couple of bumps and ignoring no longer was an option. I was 18 when I had the surgery. All was cool. And I felt great after the surgery. Hardly any pain....until the next night when I woke up in a sweat and shaky. Hematoma. I had felt so good that I failed to take it easy. Guess I busted a bleeder loose. Probably shame on me. Back under the knife again to clean up what any of Charlie's Angels would have been proud of, albeit only one of them (not the Angels).

Well it all healed, and after a while I thought...hmmmm...is it coming back? Hmmmm...no, the surgeon missed the blasted thing! (At least the spot I thought it was at.) So, now at 21 I was having a plastic surgeon do the job the right way. That was thirty-five years ago. And the moral of the story is: don't move around much with the packing and bandages they put on you for the first several days, and after that take it easy for the first week to ten days! BTW, it turned out to be a cyst in both cases. They hurt, they swell, and they don't respond to antibiotics. That mammogram must have really be a trip!

As far as disfigurement, yeah, well what the hey! It never stopped me from going topless at the beach. Besides, the scar was pretty well hidden by the fur! (I know, that's more info than you needed to hear.)

My prayer to the Lord is for you to come through this closer to Him and healed. ---Jeff

Good luck, whatever the outcome. Can they do a "Thin Needle Biopsy" first? That might tell 'em if its a cancer or a cyst? Just cynical - surgeons cut for a living. Your family doc sounds real conservative too - reaaly stay in touch with him all the way.

Good luck, again.

Quote Originally Posted by tec
    it's very reassuring. yet still scary cuz my doctor is the kind that woud rather let your ear infection, if not too too bad, run it course before he prescribes antibiotics. Know what I'm saying??
    Yea, weired! I drop doc's like that. Keep your head up and don't be afraid of getting even more opinions on this before going under the knife.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Lead Moderator
    Hope ya can get it all straightened out and recover quickly. Be proud of the scars, or atleast learn to not be bothered by em.
    I have scars all over, including open heart surgery scars fram age 2.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'll be Prayin' for ya. Be sure to keep us informed.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd
    Tec,

When I was about 17 years old, I started having pain off and on. Left nipple. Ignored it. It kept reminding me it was there. A couple of bumps and ignoring no longer was an option. I was 18 when I had the surgery. All was cool. And I felt great after the surgery. Hardly any pain....until the next night when I woke up in a sweat and shaky. Hematoma. I had felt so good that I failed to take it easy. Guess I busted a bleeder loose. Probably shame on me. Back under the knife again to clean up what any of Charlie's Angels would have been proud of, albeit only one of them (not the Angels).

Well it all healed, and after a while I thought...hmmmm...is it coming back? Hmmmm...no, the surgeon missed the blasted thing! (At least the spot I thought it was at.) So, now at 21 I was having a plastic surgeon do the job the right way. That was thirty-five years ago. And the moral of the story is: don't move around much with the packing and bandages they put on you for the first several days, and after that take it easy for the first week to ten days! BTW, it turned out to be a cyst in both cases. They hurt, they swell, and they don't respond to antibiotics. That mammogram must have really be a trip!

As far as disfigurement, yeah, well what the hey! It never stopped me from going topless at the beach. Besides, the scar was pretty well hidden by the fur! (I know, that's more info than you needed to hear.)

My prayer to the Lord is for you to come through this closer to Him and healed. ---Jeff
    -----------------------------
    thanks for the info, sounds exactly like what I am going thru. Believe it or not, the mammogram wasn't that bad, i mean it didn't tickle, but the pain was very manageable, but then again I deal with kidney stones every couple of months along with a bad back. "Pain don't hurt," or so Say's Patrick swaezy(sp) in the movie Road House. yea ,, right.

I appreciate everyones comments and thoughts. I will keep all posted as I can.

And, please, if it hurts, go get it checked out by your doctor sooner then later.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links