Getting a mammogram to see if I have breast cancer

This is a discussion on Getting a mammogram to see if I have breast cancer within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I hope you get a good report on Thursday, tec!...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Getting a mammogram to see if I have breast cancer

VIP Member
    I hope you get a good report on Thursday, tec!

2. Remove Ads

Our Local TV Station Ch 12, has had a "Buddy Check 12" program for years. The program focus' on womens Breast Cancer and does an admirable job. This morning I sent an email to Jeannie Blaylock, the Anchor Woman driving "Buddy Check 12", regarding the issue of Breast Cancer in men. This afternoon I received a reply that she was preparing a piece on that subject, not just because of my request but she was doing a story about a man who had just undergone a Mastectomy. I encourage all of you to suggest to your media that they feature Male Breast Cancer. It worked here and just very well may save some men.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu
    Our Local TV Station Ch 12, has had a "Buddy Check 12" program for years. The program focus' on womens Breast Cancer and does an admirable job. This morning I sent an email to Jeannie Blaylock, the Anchor Woman driving "Buddy Check 12", regarding the issue of Breast Cancer in men. This afternoon I received a reply that she was preparing a piece on that subject, not just because of my request but she was doing a story about a man who had just undergone a Mastectomy. I encourage all of you to suggest to your media that they feature Male Breast Cancer. It worked here and just very well may save some men.
    good idea. looks like i have a phone call or two to make.

Thanks for sharing your struggles and story with us, Tek.
    Please keep us posted and my thoughts and prayers are with you.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

tec,

Just catching up on this thread and all you have been through. With my recent experiences, let me urge you to have that surgery done as quickly as possible.

My Hodgkins Lymphoma appeared very fast, a lump in my groin went from the size of a small marble to the size of a lemon in just three months. It was right where I had a previous hernia surgery, I figured something in the mesh they used must have come loose and was not all that concerned.

Three months later, I had to have MRI's on my spine and pelvis for a hip problem, the pelvic scan showed not one lump, but three. Ortho doctor got me in to a general surgeon within three days, he operated three days later and took out the biggest lump. The other two were too deep under the intestines, but they were still marble sized.

Pathology tests said Hodgkin's Lymphoma, and subsequent body scans showed a total of three more swollen lymph nodes.

Got in to an Oncologist pretty quick, he credited the surgeon for having saved me a lot of potential problems by operating so quickly. He said that lymph nodes can get real big, then all of a sudden just shrink. When that happens, the cancer moves down the line to other lymph node groups and is much harder to treat because it can be so widespread.

Because all mine were in one area and discovered as quick as they were, they are treating it with radiation, just finished treatment number 18 out of 40 today.

So.... your advice to everyone here to get something suspicious checked is right on target. You are on our prayer list, hopefully the surgeon will get you scheduled in pretty quick and you'll finally get some answers.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT
    tec,

Just catching up on this thread and all you have been through. With my recent experiences, let me urge you to have that surgery done as quickly as possible.

My Hodgkins Lymphoma appeared very fast, a lump in my groin went from the size of a small marble to the size of a lemon in just three months. It was right where I had a previous hernia surgery, I figured something in the mesh they used must have come loose and was not all that concerned.

So.... your advice to everyone here to get something suspicious checked is right on target. You are on our prayer list, hopefully the surgeon will get you scheduled in pretty quick and you'll finally get some answers.
    Sorry to hear about your situation and hope all goes well. Thanks for the kind words, and yes to all, if you have something that you don't know what it is, GET IT CHECKED OUT NOW!!!

As far as my breast lump, I forgot to post an update here, sorry. About two weeks or so after my mammogram, my family doc called to ask how I was doing. I told him the lump was then about the size of a golf ball and painful, it wasn't sore, it was painful to the touch.. And still is. So he told me to see a surgeon. The one he suggested couldn't see me until the end of September or so, so my wife got me in to another doc at the same office that week for a "consultation".

This consultation was what I expected. He felt me up, looked at the charts from the other doctors and did an ultrasound. Then he announced that they were going to go in to do a biopsy, then and there.

They stuck me with a needle to reduce the pain, It felt like it was coming thru the back side of my shoulder blade, then they took their 5 samples of tissue from in the swollen area. To do this they used a "grabber" tool that they inserted into a incision alongside my nipple. you know those 2 foot long flexible wire tools that have the claw hook on the end that you can press a button to make them grasp something? well thats what this thing was like on the business end. And boy did it hurt. It was in the shape of a large buck rogers gun, pull the trigger, and the claw jumps out of it, and reasches into you to cgrab a sample of flesh. The nipple area on the body is very very sensative, of course it doesn't help that I am a whimp when it comes to pain.

We got the results back last week. I have gynocomastia (sp ) in my right breast. Basically what it is, is my boob is growing new flesh right around the MALE breast milk glands and milk ducts, which is putting pressure on the milk glands and ducts, which is what is causing the pain.

The good news is That it should go away, maybe, in a year or two. The pain should go away, not my breast.

The better news is that the left breast will probably not want the right breast to be feeling awkward about being bigger then the left breast, so the left breast Will do the same thing of growing new flesh around the milk glands and ducts. Hopefully they will grow to about the same size, I hate uneven knockers.

Causes are: too fat, too old, a diet too high in fat and a body with too low of testosterone.

Solutions are: get thin, get young, eat better and take synthetic testosterone.

So in a nut shell, my booby is growing, nothing too serious, but still, something to keep an eye on that way it doesn't develop into something worse.

Thanks for the concern, keep us posted on your progress will ya? hope all goes well.
    Last edited by tec; August 4th, 2006 at 08:40 AM.

Assistant Administrator
    tec - thx for your update - and glad to hear of the diagnosis compared with what you were fearing could have been there. No fun tho with that biopsy deal - ouch!

I will hope you do over time have this resolve and the whole nightmare will fade into the realms of old news.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Tec-

glad to hear things are going well and nothing too serious.

Now we know what floyd landis (a-hole american who was caught doping after winning tour de france) will use as his next defense.

"oh, i was taking synthetic testosterone for this condition...."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links