Getting a mammogram to see if I have breast cancer

This is a discussion on Getting a mammogram to see if I have breast cancer within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, for the past 3-4 weeks I have noticed a lump in my right breast, (yes I am a guy) and today after I checked ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting a mammogram to see if I have breast cancer

Getting a mammogram to see if I have breast cancer

Well, for the past 3-4 weeks I have noticed a lump in my right breast, (yes I am a guy) and today after I checked it and determined that it had grown in size, I decided to call the Doctor about it. I was counting on getting in to see the Doc in a week or so, They rearranged his schedule to see me immediately. That was good, but scary.

My conditions are a sore tender breast with a growing lump under the nipple that is very tender when pressed, and some tenderness towards the armpit area. Fortunately I have not had any nipple discharge, which can be a bad sign.

I did do some research on the Internet about it and found that it can be cancer or an infection of the male milk glands. Obviously I am hoping for the infection vs. the cancer. Doc gave me a script for antibiotics in case its an infection. HOPEFULLY, it is just a infection.

Tuesday the 20th I go in for a mammogram at the butt crack of dawn. I won't get the results until the next day. Needless to say, that is going to be a stressfull time period.

While doing the research on this, I found that most males wait too long before going in to see their Doctor, and by then the cancer will have traveled further into the body, one guy had the breast cancer attach to his hip bone, which had to be replaced, in addition to having his breast removed.

The moral of this information I am sharing is, don't wait if you have breast pain. You can be macho all you want, and let the cancer grow into your body further, or you can skip just having a small portion of your breast removed and have the whole thing removed, or you can be dead in a short period of time if you do nothing.

Believe it or not, The doctor did the same type of test with me as you see on your wife's shower hanger card. Arm stretched over the head and gently feel for pain / discomfort or a bump or a lump. Don't wait until it's too late and .....

Some links to some sites about male breast cancer:
    http://www.emedicinehealth.com/breas...n/page5_em.htm
    http://www.breastcancer.org/male_bc_diagnosis.html
    http://imaginis.com/breasthealth/bcmen.asp

------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------
    update 7-10-06
    Well I came home today early to get some paperwork done and fix our dishwasher when the phone rang and the caller id showed it was my family doctor.

He called to ask how my breast lump was doing, if it had shrunk. I informed him that even tho the other doctor who read the mammogram and ultra sound said I didn't need to worry about it, that the lump had grown in size from nothing to now the size of two thumbs wide and tender as hell under the nipple.

So, my doc ordered me to go see a surgeon to have the lump removed. He says he has seen too many cases where they played the wait and see game where the outcome has been bad.

So, I go in this Thursday at 2 p.m. for a consultaion.
    I gotta tell ya, I have done something I probably shouldn't, and that is look up information on the internet, and some of the pictures of males who had lumps removed are pretty disfiguring. I already am gonna scare kids to death when I loose my hair and they see the scar that runs from the top of one ear , over the head, to the top of the other ear. Now I get to further scare them when I goto the beach and they see I only have one booby.

Boyz and Girlz, if you have a boo boo, don't be an ass and avoid going to the doctor. Your not only jepordizing your life, but also the lives of your family.

While the prospect of getting cut open and loosing a boob is not something to be happy about, I am just glad that right now, I have a doctor that does not want to play the "wait and see" game. And doing it this way, removing what ever is in there now before it gets big, is less intrusive to my body, and hopefully safer.

That being said, I am still scared shitless.
    Last edited by tec; July 10th, 2006 at 07:23 PM. Reason: udate on the cancer scare /having surgery

2. Remove Ads

Good luck to ya hope it is nothing bad

Good luck. My prayers will be with you.
    One shot. One kill.

Primary Carry - Taurus PT-111 Mil Pro 9mm DAO with 12 + 1 in the pipe. Holstered in a Brigade OWB M2.

Secondary Weapon - Taurus PT1911 5" 45acp SA with 8+1. Holstered in a Kydex paddle.

It's rare, but not as uncommon as some might believe. Good luck, and I hope whatever it turns out to be is benign. You're lucky you detected it when you did.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Assistant Administrator
    Many guys forget that they too can get a carcinoma affecting the breast. Statistically this is very low risk but enough cases are documented that it should be not ignored.

Indeed any lump ideally should be investigated but a good rule of thumb for starters is - ''is the lump round and regular''? This may often mean benign and perhaps a mere cyst. Irregularity in shape is more concerning. This applies a lot with skin lesions.

Good luck with the mammogram and there is every probability this is no more than a scare and a cyst-like condition. Keeping fingers crossed for you and hope to hear good news.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good luck with the mammogram. Also - do not wear deodorant to it - it clouds the films or somesuch.

A gentleman that I work with went through that and was able to beat it 100% he is totally happy and healthy now and cancer is gone. Our prayers will go out to you.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Thanks guys. I am hoping it's a infection , but will not find out till wednesday.

VIP Member
    Tec...thank you for sharing a very hard situation with us....I will keep you in my prayers and offer you the best of luck.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    Good luck and God bless. Let us know if you have a mind to.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Wow, brother, that's heavy. I hope all is well in the end.

Administrator
    I never thought I'd be telling somebody that I hope they have an infection but, I'm hoping that is what it is...and that a good stiff antibiotic will knock it right out of you.

Lead Moderator
    Good luck to you, hope all goes well.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

A few years ago I had a lump in my breast that my doctor ordered a Mammogram to evaluate it. Thank God it was a benign, harmless growth. In the process I found out that Breast Cancer in men is not uncommon. I came to the conclusion that we men were being done a disservice. All the emphasis is on women's Breast Cancer, as it should be, but I think they should occasionally throw in a gem about the possibility of male breast cancer.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by tegemu
    A few years ago I had a lump in my breast that my doctor ordered a Mammogram to evaluate it. Thank God it was a benign, harmless growth. In the process I found out that Breast Cancer in men is not uncommon. I came to the conclusion that we men were being done a disservice. All the emphasis is on women's Breast Cancer, as it should be, but I think they should occasionally throw in a gem about the possibility of male breast cancer.
    Amen to that. Glad it came out "ok" for you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links