Goodbye to a Loyal and Faithful Companion

This is a discussion on Goodbye to a Loyal and Faithful Companion within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Today we had to have our oldest dog put to sleep. Bruno had been with us for over 14 years and a truer friend you ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye to a Loyal and Faithful Companion

VIP Member

Goodbye to a Loyal and Faithful Companion

Today we had to have our oldest dog put to sleep. Bruno had been with us for over 14 years and a truer friend you could not ask for. He never complained. He was the most laid back dog I have ever come into contact with.

For the past 6 months he had gone down hill fairly rapidly and we knew it was coming. For the last couple of months his ability to get up and move around was almost nonexistent. He would on occasion get up and walk a bit. For the past two days when we would go by the yard or go out to bring him and our other two dogs in Bruno would have gotten up and found a corner or hiding place. It appeared he was trying to find a place to die.

Today my wife called our vet and told him she thought it was about time. Dr. Doug asked a couple of questions and then paused to regain his composure. He said that it appeared we should bring Bruno in. Leah explained that the last time we had carried Bruno to the vet our other two had sat by the gate waiting for his return and that we had decided we wanted Bruno to die at home so that Bing and Baxter could have some closure. He agreed and we decided that Dr. Doug would come by after lunch and give Bruno the injection so that the other two would know Bruno was gone. It appears they understand. When I came home both were close by and one stayed with me while I dug a grave and the other laid by Bruno's body. After I buried him neither has done more than walk by the grave. They seem to have accepted that Bruno is not here.

This had worked better for us too. My wife and I both seem to have accepted his death more easily than I expected. We both know that he has crossed the Rainbow Bridge and is on the other side waiting for us. It was a good run and we look forward to seeing him again.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Buddy, I feel your pain.

I've been there before and will be there again. Just a couple of months ago, I thought we were going to lose our oldest rescue, Gus. It's only a matter of time for him too, as it is for all of us.

I'm sure you've seen this before, but here it is again................

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

They are always with us too short in time. Sounds like a great buddy, you did the right thing all around. Many sympathies.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Two other things are infinite, as well: the love of a good dog for his family; and the love a family has for a good dog.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    Dogs rule.

It is so hard to seperate the human'ness from the dog'ness. I swear that dogs are better than us.

Sorry to hear about this.

Sorry you had to say goodbye to your buddy. That vet needs to be on your Christmas Card List. He went out of his way to come and do what was best for your family. Kudos to him.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

DR CMG, I hate hearing of these events. I do feel your pain and loss. We went through the same thing last September...greatly dislike that feeling.
    Hang in there...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Always sucks to lose a faithful friend.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I know your pain,I had to have "LUCKY" my chocolate lab put to sleep on 7/5,she was a sweetheart,I'm sure she will be waiting for me with my dad,he always said that is a good dog you have,just before she pooped in his yard,I guess she thought it needed fertilised.At least they aren't in pain anymore god bless.Steve
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Dr. Doug is also an FFL and I help him when he does Ducks Unlimited, National Wild Turkey Federation and Friends of NRA gun transfers. On the Christmas card list, ha! He and his staff get homemade treats from my wife at Christmas and on other occasions. One of the joys of living in a small town is having a vet who is also a friend. He also teaches in the Equine Science program at the college where I am the librarian. Dr. Doug is good folks.

This is our third dog death in 9 years. First one was our Shelty, Ginger. We had to put her down after 14 years due to cancer. The second was a Golden Retriever mix stray whom we adopted. He was poisoned, but not intentionally. He got into something that someone (unknown) had left laying around in the neighborhood. We didn't have an autopsy run to determine what, but the vet said the only dog he had seen go that way was on that belonged to a crack dealer and had gotten into the crack. We suspect someone was being chased and dropped this supply over into our yard. Our other two at the time were in the house.

Despite this being the third in 9 years is it the first in 8 and it is not easy. We will survive and go on. The pain will not lessen our desire to help strays. Bruno and our other two are all adopted strays of the All American Mixed Breed variety.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Very sorry to hear it. A dog's only fault is a lifespan shorter than ours.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

So very sorry for your loss...........

hbc
    Bruno was a fine dog. I'm sorry for your loss.

Administrator
    dr_cmg & Family
    That is one of the toughest and most painful but, absolutely necessary things that we are required to do (as compassionate human beings) so that a cherished pet does not suffer and linger in pain.
    Very sorry for your loss.

VIP Member
    You have done the right thing.

Saying goodbye is always a tearjerker around here.

The black lab, Buckwheat was almost 13 when his health deteriorated to the point, that in December2005, we decided to take him in. He was an outside dog, and we could'nt bear to see him going up and down the stairs into the house, (he had the hardest time), a few times a day, to dodge the cold.

The yellow lab Jaylynne, we took in from a friend in 2004 when she was 3.5 or 4. She was just the sweetest dog ever, not growing up with us, and all. My wife was coming home from work one day and Jaylynne (she would always run out and greet visiters when not in the yard), went out and stumbled on the rocks in the drive and fell under the van. She passed away in my arms.

The brown and tan Chloe is a lab-doberman mix from the animal shelter at 9wks.
    she is now 2.5 yrs old and a chowderhead, but we love her anyway.She thinks she is still a puppy. OH WELL!!!
    Attached Images
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links