Quitting Smoking - My progress thread

This is a discussion on Quitting Smoking - My progress thread within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, visiting MEPS this week has changed things for me. While there, I ran out of money. Actually, I was nearly broke before I left. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quitting Smoking - My progress thread

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Quitting Smoking - My progress thread

Well, visiting MEPS this week has changed things for me. While there, I ran out of money. Actually, I was nearly broke before I left. Been without work for months, unemployment doesn't pay squat and I spent nearly all my money on gas and some groceries before I left for Montgomery.

Without money I could not buy smokes. I managed to milk a pack all through Tuesday because we had a long van ride where I could not smoke. Tuesday night I managed to milk the pack even farther. Wednesday morning I smoked a couple after breakfast.

Got to the MEPS station and it was several hours till I was able to go outside to smoke. Down to about three cigarettes and it is only 10am.

Ran out of smokes shortly after noon. Since I got disqualified my physical exam ended early. I had the whole rest of the day to do absolutely nothing after 9am.

Bummed a few smokes until around 3:45pm when our van driver arrived to pick up the group going back to Florida.

My last cigarette was at about 4:00pm Wednesday afternoon just before we boarded the van back to Florida.

Arrived back in Tallahassee around 8:45pm or maybe 9:00pm. Jeep was low on gas. I had forgotten to claim my weeks on my unemployment so my benefits were not posted to my account. Disqualified at MEPS, back home and broke, no smokes, out of gas and mad as hell. I made it close to home and I had to stop to call my cousin to bring me some gas. Now I am embarrassed on top of all of this.

I was so mad that I was under such misery thinking about not having a cigarette. It had me wound up tight as a spring.

I hated that feeling of dependency. I have decided I have had enough and I am going to kick this habit again. This time for good.

This is a little rough on me but I have made it this far and I really want to get rid of this addiction.

I have posted this on this forum because I want to tell everyone that I am going to quit. I will feel embarrassed if I fall off the wagon so I am hoping this will aide my motivation.

- I want to get healthy
    - I want to get back in the Army
    - I want this smoking addiction gone
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

2. Remove Ads

You can do it. You need to do this for yourself. You have the means and the will to kick the habit. Nothing's easy, but you're determined. You're going to be okay. Believe in yourself my brother and things will take a turn when you least expect them to. Take some energy back from the universal pool you've seemed to put so much into lately. It's an eternal pool that you can tap into at any time. Your negative energies will be swallowed by the pool once you ask for something positive. All is within reach, and the pool is always balanced. Like a tree taking in carbon dioxide and giving oxygen.

Get hard, you can do it.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    FWIIW, I never said that I quit. I never said that I was going to quit.

I said I was going to see how long I could go w/o a smoke.

That was going on 10 years ago, after having smoked for forty some years.

Different strokes for different folks -- but for me it was one day at a time. And it's still one day at a time, albeit it has gotten easier.

YMMV as to what works best for you. However, figure out what works for you and go for it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

You can do it, just keep at it. I had a pretty (un)healthy dip habit going for several years. The thing that actually got me to quit was being in Afghanistan, and I couldn't get anyone to mailme any, and at the same time didn't want to bum any off my guys. So when my last can ran out over there I was done. But I haven't had any since the beginning of February, so i think I'm doing pretty good. Sometimes the psychological addiction rears up, like I used to always have a pinch after a meal, or someone will open up a tin of Copenhagen long-cut and I catch a whiff. But really I'm happier without dipping. My teeth and gums look better, and I'm saving money. Just put your mind to it, you can do it.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    FWIIW, I never said that I quit. I never said that I was going to quit.

I said I was going to see how long I could go w/o a smoke.

That was going on 10 years ago, after having smoked for forty some years.

Different strokes for different folks -- but for me it was one day at a time. And it's still one day at a time, albeit it has gotten easier.

YMMV as to what works best for you. However, figure out what works for you and go for it.
    This will be my third time to try to stop my smoking. Twice I have stopped and both times were for about four years without a smoke. Both times I also quit cold turkey. I really had no desire to smoke after about a month of suffering. I don't know what made me start up again. What is hard now is because I really have no one to watch me and to keep me occupied. All I have is my desire to rid myself of addiction, getting back into the Army and to just be in better condition.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

Distinguished Member
    It is hard but not impossible. Probably the thing I did that I am most proud of. Yes, that sounds pretty lame, but it is an addiction and I was hooked chemically and also hooked on the sheer habit of it. I loved the lighters and gadgets.

I felt so good when I quit that I think I would have done it sooner had I known just how crappy it makes you feel.

I am shocked how expensive it is, that would be good motivation for me. One carton is like two really good boxes of defensive ammo.

You will reach a turning point where it gets easier and easier. Having said that, it has been 20 years and I still occasionally find myself almost reaching for my pack. The smell of stale smoke on people is gross to me now, but every now and then the smell of a freshly lit cigarette is really attractive.

Good luck and report in please.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    It is hard but not impossible. Probably the thing I did that I am most proud of. Yes, that sounds pretty lame, but it is an addiction and I was hooked chemically and also hooked on the sheer habit of it. I loved the lighters and gadgets.

I felt so good when I quit that I think I would have done it sooner had I known just how crappy it makes you feel.

I am shocked how expensive it is, that would be good motivation for me. One carton is like two really good boxes of defensive ammo.

You will reach a turning point where it gets easier and easier. Having said that, it has been 20 years and I still occasionally find myself almost reaching for my pack. The smell of stale smoke on people is gross to me now, but every now and then the smell of a freshly lit cigarette is really attractive.

Good luck and report in please.
    I too have both addictions. The mental and the physical. It was actually comforting to have that cig in my hand and that smoke intake was pleasure.

Yes, it stinks. Your hair stinks, your clothes stink, your car stinks. It is unbelievable what it leaves as a residue all over every thing.

Expensive? You bet! With taxes raised here in Florida a carton of Marlboro's are almost $60.00. I smoked cheaper bargain brands and I went to the Georgia line to buy my cigs and they were still $32.00 a carton.

I will keep this updated. That was my purpose for starting it. I am committed to quitting and I want to make sure I am constantly aware of my commitment.

Never had the habit, so understanding the addiction is difficult. You just have to figure out who is tougher, you or the cigarette...get tough and hang in there!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Update 8/14

Still tobacco free. Last night was a pain in the butt. Today has not been much easier. Today actually has been harder than the other two days prior.

Sleeping is tough because I have these "nerve" jerks all night. Just as I get to sleep, doze off, my body will jerk and it wakes me up.

Today I feel a little dizzy headed. I am craving a smoke really bad. Every taste of food brings a desire to smoke. Sitting at this computer brings a desire to smoke.

Still, I have so far managed to fight it off.

Hey, I just thought of something, maybe you're smoking the wrong stuff. If I remember correctly...four decades,or so...never got the shakes, just hungry.
    O.K., back to business...hang in there, you CAN do this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    Maybe think of the personal defense aspect. You can have the right gun, the right training, ammo, and attitude, but if you get out of breath and shut down due to lack of oxygen, game over.

You probably have your +P, now get the +O2 going for the lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    Still tobacco free. Last night was a pain in the butt. Today has not been much easier. Today actually has been harder than the other two days prior.

Sleeping is tough because I have these "nerve" jerks all night. Just as I get to sleep, doze off, my body will jerk and it wakes me up.

Today I feel a little dizzy headed. I am craving a smoke really bad. Every taste of food brings a desire to smoke. Sitting at this computer brings a desire to smoke.

Still, I have so far managed to fight it off.
    Hang in there buddy. I am getting ready to join the battle with you. Have been thinking of it for some time... but your effort has inspired me to move...

All you need is a good friend who will help you quit. Every time you think about lighting up have them give up a . After a few you will not want to smoke ever again. Does anybody here need a good friend? I promise to help.

Distinguished Member
    How about going one day without carrying for every day you smoke. Yikes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links