More knee surgery.

More knee surgery.

This is a discussion on More knee surgery. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'll start with some background info,...I'm 24 years old. I'm married, and work full-time with regular OT, and my wife is full-time student. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More knee surgery.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar

Thumbs down More knee surgery.

I'll start with some background info,...I'm 24 years old. I'm married, and work full-time with regular OT, and my wife is full-time student. I have a beautiful 5-month old daughter,...and.. I've got a rare,untreatable, incurable disease called Ehlers Danlos(EDS), like many life-long diseases, it has different categorys or "types". Its genetic. Unfortunately my grandmother on my moms side, my grandmother on my dads side, and both my father and mother have it. My mother did not know until after I was born, but b/c of my family history, I donot fall into any category. I was born with a neck malformation,(che-re1.) and spinal issues, wich was corrected at age 13 via spinal fusion surgery. (Spinal fusion of my L1 to S1, with pedrigral screws.)

Fast forward to age 16, a car accident in a lowered, modified car left me with two dislocated knees, a broken ankle, and sprained back. Everything else was OKAY except for my left knee. By 18 I went under the knife,...Always regretted it; They bascially reconstructed my left knee. (Fulkerson osteotomy, Open lateral release, and arthorscopy. ) and its been worse off ever since. I've delt with it constantly getting worst since then. I finally made it to the dr's office a couple times, and today, they determined that the three screws and metal plate used in my recontructive surgery is a major part of the pain I'm having. And want the ligament holding my patella in place, and make a different one using a part of my hamstring. Apparently my patella is "unstable", and bascially acutely dislocates itself everytime I step.

I'm scared out of my mind. I'm so concerned my knee will be yet again WORSE then before. I have issues walking, I used to run before my car accident. I used to mountain bike. I miss it badly. I'm scared when my daughter walks, I can't run after her and she could get hurt.

Ugh. So much going through my head right now.

(Sorry for the long read and poor spelling.)

NOT to even begin to remotely think about how the heck I'm gonna afford this,...

Anyone have any advise? I mean, the Dr told me post surgery I'd be "normal" again, like I could run, or jog again like I used to?
    Last edited by Ghettokracker71; August 25th, 2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Whoops.

All I can tell you is good luck. I bent my right knee backwards in 1992 and I have had 7 operations since then to correct and recorrect the problems this all caused. I think the next one is going to be a total knee replacement and honestly, I am ready for it. I can still ride my mountain bike but running is pretty much out and has been since Feb 4, 1992. I still miss running.

If you are in constant pain when you walk, you have to do something. That pain is the sign that you are still doing damage to the knee with every step. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Thanks for the kind words. Its official. I'm having surgery on September 10th (friday). I fell yesterday, down some stairs. I sprained my right wist, and right ankle,..I realized now is as good a time as any as I'm going to be missing work for my sprains (and walking REALLY REALLY hurts with a dislocated left knee, and a sprained right ankle. )

Senior Moderator
    Dont fret. They have come a long way in surgery techniques in the last several years. I've had 3 knee surgerys, I just came back to work from one last week.

I'd be willing to bet that you'll be way better off after the surgery to correct things...in fact, you'll probably wish you did it sooner. Good luck.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

How did your first two go? My first one went so bad, and with my wife in school, im scared to lose everything right now.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    On the issue of affording it, I have a friend who recently fought stomach cancer. Her insurance covered a good part, but left her with thousands in debt. She went to the hospital and told them straight up that she could not pay the whole thing. They asked her how much she could pay a month. She said $100.00. They said deal. They wrote off a lot of the debt. As long as she makes her monthly payments on the rest, they will not come after her. They were very reasonable and way more compassionate than she expected.

Good luck. I too have had surgery and currently have enough stainless steal holding me together to make a nice 1911.

Try not to get too stressed out, it's not good for the healing process.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    On the issue of affording it, I have a friend who recently fought stomach cancer. Her insurance covered a good part, but left her with thousands in debt. She went to the hospital and told them straight up that she could not pay the whole thing. They asked her how much she could pay a month. She said $100.00. They said deal. They wrote off a lot of the debt. As long as she makes her monthly payments on the rest, they will not come after her. They were very reasonable and way more compassionate than she expected.
    Thanks for the idea/input. I was referecing more of affording things like the car payment, formula, diapers, grocerys,...from all the time missed at work.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Good luck. I too have had surgery and currently have enough stainless steal holding me together to make a nice 1911.

Try not to get too stressed out, it's not good for the healing process.

Yikes. Thats one of the reasons I'm having more surgery is to remove hardware that was put in the first go 'round .Hope yours is well!

Other thing thats irritating is I feel so helpless. My wife will have to get me any thing I need instead of me getting up, I can't take care of my daughter for a while,...

It's probably better to get it fixed now. You're really going to need that knee once your kid starts playing sports.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

You are young. Now is the time to get the repairs done. Don't wait till you are much older, when the old body doesn't like to re-construct or rebuild nearly as well as when you are young. Good Luck!!

Thanks for the replies. I'm sitting here in shock. The old saying when it rains, it pours is true in my life right now.

I just found out today , that my 33 year old uncle,...has cancer. He will be undergoing surgery, and then chemo. Not sure what his projected outcome is at this time. He is an upstanding LEO in the community, and has a 4 year daughter. Since I'm 24, I remeber growing up with him. He'll be going into surgery this week. I'm devestated. I feel like I'm suddenly living in a soap opera. My mom went on disability and retired early last week due to health issues and compliations with her job (their beggining to outsource and cutback. ) and that hasn't been easy to see. Now this. Her brother.

I need some prayer guys. I think the worst part is, I've been stuck sitting on my bed since friday, doctors orders, and I've still got until friday before I even get to have my surgery. Just sitting here thinking about all this, and how my wife is going to manage to get through school...

GM
    It will be fine, do not worry; just try to take it easy. Good luck and get well soon
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Ghettotracker71, I know how you feel had a partial knee reconstruction last year. You are in my prayers. It will get better, but give it time.

Thanks,...Well the deed is done. First night home. Had surgery earlier today. I'm surprised they send me home, even though they informed me that they did alot more this go 'round, then last time. Hurts like all heck,and got a really big brace on. I'm concerned b/c the doctor informed me he was concerned about my cartiledge (sp) ,which he could not see until he was in there.

I'll probable be posting quite a bit more until I'm back to "life", gotta try to fight boredom!

hbc
    Best of luck in your recovery, Ghettokracker71. FWIW, I've said a prayer for you and your family.
    HBC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links