E a r t h q u a k e

E a r t h q u a k e

This is a discussion on E a r t h q u a k e within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Goodness gracious we just had an earthquake in Oklahoma strong enough to scare us to death (4.5), I'm an earthquake survivor (7.5) so it was ...

Thread: E a r t h q u a k e

Sponsor

E a r t h q u a k e

Goodness gracious we just had an earthquake in Oklahoma strong enough to scare us to death (4.5), I'm an earthquake survivor (7.5) so it was flashback all over. Back then, we came out running when we finally opened the door which as jammed.

The earthquake I was fortunate to survive killed 20,000 people that night it happened at 3:33 am, and I had just finished reading the Exorcist, so for duration of it I was thinking "Demonic Possession", in any case you'll find yourself too busy to think anything at all, until it's over that is.

Usually happens when the weather changes or it is about to change.

Precautions:

Have a plan to exit the building in case of emergency, consider that doors might be jammed afterward , so be ready for that eventuality.
    Leave shoes, water, medicine camping stuff by the door or outside in a stash in case of emergency, believe me, you are gonna find yourself bare naked in the middle of the street breathing heavily, and going back inside is the last thing you are going to want to do at that moment.

Stay away from fallen buildings and electric cables and such.

Don't attempt to drive if there are fallen buildings around.

Make a head count in your household and then proceed to encourage the same around you.

If the phenomenon is wide spread, the emergency services are gonna be pretty much NON-EXISTENT. Be ready for a SHTF situation.

After all is settled people will organize for a neighborhood patrol system.
    Go with the glow

Glad you're ok.

The writting's on the wall. All signs point in one direction......

Distinguished Member
    Scary. The largest earthquake in the us was in Missouri of all places. (excluding Alaska)

Thanks for the tips, it can happen anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gatopardo View Post
    Goodness gracious we just had an earthquake in Oklahoma strong enough to scare us to death (4.5), I'm an earthquake survivor (7.5) so it was flashback all over.
    Ach, 4.5's hardly enough to knock stuff off the shelves. But then, you know from having been in a mid-7 temblor yourself.

A 7-pointer here, too. On a few occasions. It'll grab your attention, no doubt. Having been 20K casualties, you must have been in a place with sub-par building codes.

It's an interesting challenge, the aftermath. No communications, no access to water that hasn't been stored, no power, no stores open. Degraded ability to travel, depending on what has slid into roadways or whether roadways are still functional. Risk of bridges being out or damaged. Risk of gas leaks and subsequent fire, in town. Floods are possible, if downstream from dammed reservoirs. Let alone making it tough to get help from outside the area, if severe. Oh yeah, severe shaking can create quite a situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Scary. The largest earthquake in the us was in Missouri of all places. (excluding Alaska)
    Correct; The New Madrid fault quake back in the 1800s was so bad it made the Mighty Mississippi flow backwards..... Here is a link....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I know about earthquakes!...and how you must have felt.
    The family and I were living in the Aleutian Island for 7 years. We were hit by earthquakes quite often, and one in May of '86 was 8.0 http://bssaonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/78/1/218.

The 4's, 5's and 6's certainly got our attention, but the 8.0 had us evacuating into the mountains.

Thank for sharing...brought back memories.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

ntg
    I've been in a few...they're very unnerving. Glad you're O.K. Take care and hug your loved ones.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Sponsor
    Well we've had a recent increase of quakes in Oklahoma for the last 10 years, some people say is all the water being pumped out, which affects the water table, but i don't buy it, as an example: Mexico city, by pumping all the water what they got is all the buildings are shifting and sinking at a slow pace.

While most earthquakes have been blamed on the San Andres fault and the fire circle on the Pacific ocean, now we know about the New Madrid fault which was forgotten for awhile, now we'd like to know how often this is going to happen, does anyone have any data?

Did anyone notice that earthquakes not caused by volcanoes, usually happen when the weather changes to cold? and of course in some places they occur at regular intervals like in California.

An example, in Guatemala, Central America they happen regularly about every 50 years and they are so devastating they've moved the capital city like four or five times in the last four hundred years, the devastation was total, imagine that.
    Go with the glow

Sponsored Links