Does anyone know about setting up a charity in a deceased childs name?

This is a discussion on Does anyone know about setting up a charity in a deceased childs name? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My 2 year old niece that was murdered a year and a half ago is finally getting justice I hope. The accused trial will start ...

Thread: Does anyone know about setting up a charity in a deceased childs name?

My 2 year old niece that was murdered a year and a half ago is finally getting justice I hope. The accused trial will start this week. I wanted to open a charity in her name but I didn't want to do it until we had a conviction on the guy so we could tell the story of child abuse.
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    My brother passed away recently. He was an wannabe writer and he wished to set up a charity at the local college to help aspiring writers after his death. He simply went to a local attorney who set it all up.

VIP Member
    The easiest thing is to have donations made to an established organization in memory of the deceased. If substantial amounts are involved perhaps negotiate to have some property or activity which the established organization operates named in memory of the deceased.

Setting up a completely NEW charitable organization is not particularly difficult but it does require two things: incorporation as a non-profit organization under the laws of your own state AND application and approval by IRS for the tax free handling of donated money.

Setting up a non-profit charitable organization to which others might donate, which spends its money to further a particular charitable cause or non-profit purpose, is not particularly hard or expensive to do. However, it must be done right.

Again, the two steps are incorporation as a non-profit and filing of appropriate paper work with IRS. You will probably want status as a 501c3 corp. under the IRS code.

If you think the organization may engage in political activity there is a different section of the code which would be more appropriate. I mention this because if the purpose --beyond remembrance and honor of the deceased-- is to lobby for changes in the law related to for example, child abusers, there would possibly be a political component. So, you do need to think a little about what you will actually be doing before you incorporate and apply for tax exempt status.

Good luck to you in your endeavors and let's hope that justice prevails at the trial.

Depending on the state, you don't necessarily have to form a corporation with the Secretary of State. Many states allow for unincorporated associations instead of corporations. It all boils down to how the organization is going to be run, whether there are members or actual directors.

But as Hopyard stated, after you get set up with the Sec of State, then you have to fill out a form 1023, or 1024 with the IRS depending on what code section you want to fall into under the 501 section.

For OK, here is a link to the Sec of State entity page. https://www.sos.ok.gov/corp/filing.aspx

Here is the IRS site for nonprofits. http://www.irs.gov/charities/index.html?navmenu=menu1
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Sponsored Links