Frustrated Dealing with an Increasing Number of Infections

This is a discussion on Frustrated Dealing with an Increasing Number of Infections within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Has anyone here ever experienced a number of infections at the same time? I've been experiencing an infection in my eyes for the past 3 ...

Thread: Frustrated Dealing with an Increasing Number of Infections

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Frustrated Dealing with an Increasing Number of Infections

Has anyone here ever experienced a number of infections at the same time?

I've been experiencing an infection in my eyes for the past 3 weeks now, and instead of getting better, I am just now getting more infections in more places, and my eyes are no better off.

I've been through two complete courses of powerful antiboitic eyedrops now. Today is the last day for the second treatment series, using a liquid eyedrop version of Cipro. Before I started taking it, I went through a week of taking Gentamicin eyedrops. Yet, after all of this, my eyes are still not improving. They are still as sore and bloodshot as ever.

I saw my Doctor Thursday, and he expressed some concern that these antiboitics were so ineffective. He took a swap culture from my eye, and said that he would get a lab report back by this Tuesday. He is hoping it can identify what specifically it is that I have.

My Doctor also confirmed on Thursay that I have a sinus infection too. So he gave me a powerful set of antibiotic bills to take for that.

On Friday, I noticed that the right side of my nose was sore and hurting. Then yesterday, ( Saturday ) I felt up inside the nose, and realized that there is a great big lump on my skin protruding inside my nose. It appears that I have some sort of really big boil or carbuncle up inside my right nostril. So big that I can now notice that the air in my right nostril is more restricted than my left.

My MD told me that he would call me on Tuesday with the lab results, and take things from there. I've never had infections not respond to treatment before, so I am at a loss to understand this whole situation. My doctor does not feel that my getting a sinus and eye infection so close to one another is related at all.

But I honestly don't know what to think at this point. This whole thing seems so very weird and strange. And now I apparently have this big sore ball of pus inside my nose too.

I'm only running a very low grade fever off and on during the past weeks of around 99.4 to 99.5 at times. Not enough to make me real sick, but enough to make me feel crappy.

Having my eyes sore for 3 weeks now is really becoming a drag. Fortunately, my vision has not been affected at all. But my eyes are watering a lot, and every morning I wake up with dried up discharge all caked around them.

Man, this is going to be one lousy Christmas for me if I don't get well soon.

2. Remove Ads

Sorry to hear that. Is there any chance of some kind of alergen or mold that is irritating them? A bad sinus infection can mess up the eyes too. Couple years ago, I had a really bad one, and after failing the "normal" antibiotics, doctor gave me some stuff that was supposed to be really really strong, and only recommended for 1 week. He gave me 3 weeks of that stuff, and finally, in the last week, I felt it start to win out over the bad germs. About the time, I was out of pills, I started feeling much better. I guess the problem is that there isn't a good blood delivery to those areas, and hard for the Antibiotics to work?

I can sympathize. I developed a bone infection on my spine 6 months after disc surgery, and it was crippling for nearly 3 months. I ended up in the hospital for a week and it took a biopsy to ID the problem as a staph infection, fortunately not the drug-resistant mersa. For me, the cure was 8 weeks of IV and oral antibiotics, the former delivered via PICC line (between a regular IV and a central line) because the stuff was so powerful. Weekly blood tests tracked the progress of the fight against the infection, and the first month showed little progress at all.

I would urge your doctor(s) to take a step back and view your situation from 10,000 feet - try to connect the dots between the seemingly sudden onset of multiple infections. "Managed care" works against that approach, with most doctors only treating you for one issue per visit (driven by the insurance companies, of course), so you may have to get assertive.

As Devilsclaw suggested, keep your mind open to environmental causes such as mold or allergens. Also, there are a lot of people getting less medical care these days because of the cost and they're out there breathing on your dollar bills, door handles and bannisters if not in your face - if you're in a contact industry (like retail) you're exposed to a lot of nasty stuff.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Well, I typically do suffer from grass and weed allergies. But that it only in the Spring time. I've never had any allergy problems this time of year. And my allergies have never caused my eyes to have any discharge, like I am having now. Just a little redness.

I do live in Oregon, though, and mold is a common problem in houses here. This has easily been the wettest Winter since I moved here in 1993. Could mold produce similar symptoms? My rugs are overdue for a good cleaning. I guess I should take care of doing that this week.

I'll have to see what the test reveals Tuesday, and go from there.

Last edited by LanceORYGUN; December 13th, 2010 at 07:38 AM.

Dude,
    Looking for medical advice on a gun forum is probably not the wisest course of action. Having said that, and not being able to examine you or have access to your medical records or lab data, I'd suggest that you ask your physician to consider MRSA which frequently lives in the nose and can be difficult to eliminate with the usual antibiotics. Sinus infections due to bacteria are actually rare and generally are only diagnosed accurately with needle taps or at least a head CT scan that shows pus in the air holes of your head bones (sinuses). MRSA is still treatable but difficult to eradicate completely. Stick with your MD for now. This does not yet sound like a case for Dr. House.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    Dude,
    Looking for medical advice on a gun forum is probably not the wisest course of action. Having said that, and not being able to examine you or have access to your medical records or lab data, I'd suggest that you ask your physician to consider MRSA which frequently lives in the nose and can be difficult to eliminate with the usual antibiotics. Sinus infections due to bacteria are actually rare and generally are only diagnosed accurately with needle taps or at least a head CT scan that shows pus in the air holes of your head bones (sinuses). MRSA is still treatable but difficult to eradicate completely. Stick with your MD for now. This does not yet sound like a case for Dr. House.
    Just wanted to add that there is a channel which runs between your eyes and the deep recesses of your nose, so an infection starting in one place can move. I have no idea how much pain you would be in if that lacrimal duct were blocked or infected, and I would like to think your doc has already considered that possibility in his evaluation. Meanwhile, don't change "horses" because unless your present doc is not at all good at his job he'll get it figured out or send you to someone who can; once the lab results are back.

FWIW I had a very similar problem two weeks ago and am still taking oral antibiotics. In my case the opthalmolgist said the problem originated in certain glands which add an oily substance to tears. The infection spread down my lower lid and looked like it was "fixing" to move down into my cheek. At least it started to clear within about 12 hours of taking my medicine, but I'm still on it for another day or two-- 2 weeks.

Good luck.

All I can offer you, at this point in time, is good thoughts and wishes that your physician solves your dilemma promptly.

Biker

VIP Member
    +100 on the MRSA advice
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Antibiotics don't work for viruses.

VIP Member
    Bro, all I can offer is prayer... and you've got it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Antibiotics can frequently make fungal infections worse, so hopefully your doctor is taking that into consideration.

When I talk to my doctor tomorrow, I'll definitely ask him about fungal infections and MRSA.

Can fungal infections cause you to have a fever? Can you get it in your eyes?

My nose is worse off today. Hurts more and swelling on the outside has increased.

Well, the swab from my eye turned out negative, which was good news. I did go in to see him again, as the discharge in my right nostril was getting really bad. There was all kinds of yellow and green crude caked up in my right nostril, and he used some kind of tool to scrap it out. Really nasty looking stuff.

He changed my antibotic for the sinus infection to Bactrim, and that seems to have helped, as my sinus definitely appears to be improving.

For my eyes, I decided to follow advice to get a new pillow ( my old one was absolutely ancient ). I did that, and put clean new sheets on too, and that seems to have helped. My eyes were always worse first thing in the morning.

My doctor said that one should replace their pillow every couple of years, if they are sensitive and have allergies. I never had a clue that was desirable. My old pillow had to be around 15 years old or more.

In any event, it seems that none of the symptoms were related to each other. I just had bad luck with multiple issues all popping up.

VIP Member
    Changing sheets, a pillow and an antibiotic are so much better than those serious alternatives. Glad you're better and I hope for your continued improvement.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Good job on your Doc's part. Bactrim (Septra) is the drug of choice for MRSA as well so you are covered.
    Glad you are feeling better

Links