Possibly worst time of my life?

Possibly worst time of my life?

This is a discussion on Possibly worst time of my life? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I'm sure some of you may remember back in September I got hurt, and needed second knee surgery (ANOTHER reconstruction.Second knee surgery since I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Possibly worst time of my life?

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Under a rock.
    Posts
    1,763

    Angry Possibly worst time of my life?

    Well, I'm sure some of you may remember back in September I got hurt, and needed second knee surgery (ANOTHER reconstruction.Second knee surgery since I was 16,I'm turning 25 in August.) Since, I've had a plethra of family health issues (1 uncle died, another got cancer, yet another had a major paralyzing stroke, my father was diagnosed with Type II diabetes, my aunt whose been battling cancer for some time has been taken off treatment to "let nature take its course",etc) and because my knee was taking too long to heal, I lost my employment, and health insurance.(My wife is a Type I insulin dependent diabetic, so no insurance is not an option!) Which also means I cannot goto the recommended twice a week physical therapy sessions to rehab my knee! The good news is, my father-in-law is going to cover a gym membership for me so I have access to the machines until I get better.

    In the mean time, I'm praying and shamefully having to lean on the goverment, and family contributions. I'm hoping by Feb. my knee will be well enough to return to work.

    Sorry for the long post, I don't blog, so this is a nice way to just say my peice and get it off my chest a little. On a good note, my daughter will be a year old in march


    (My wife is a full-time student in a RN college program, so she doesn't have the ability to work.)

    So many things buzzing through my head about just making it day to day, much less the next couple of months. Its slow season for my line of work.


    "To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.


  2. #2
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    12,118
    Sorry to hear about your difficulties. First, don't be feeling shameful about having to lean on government for some sort assistance. If you are receiving something you are lawfully allowed to receive, accept it, and don't put guilt on your own shoulders.

    Now, more importantly. You say you are 25. I had a hard time following stuff in your post so maybe I'll be a little off with my advice, but here goes.

    Do you have a parent who has health insurance through a group policy?
    Does your wife have a parent who has health insurance through a group policy?

    If the answer is yes to either, you should be entitled now, with present health insurance reforms already in place, to get health insurance through their policy so long as you are less than 26. That applies to you and to your wife, separately through your respective parents. So, if you haven't already checked into that route, consider doing so. Being married is not by itself a bar to getting insurance through a parent's policy.

    Your wife's pre-existing condition should not affect her ability to get coverage under her parent's policy so long as she is under 26. That is one of the great improvements Congress just made.

    Further, check out this url https://www.pcip.gov/ It is a government site. You or your wife or both of you may be eligible to get health insurance without regard to pre-existing conditions issues, subject to these restrictions:

    "You must be a citizen or national of the United States or residing in the U.S. legally.
    You must have been uninsured for at least the last six months. Please note that if you currently have insurance coverage that doesn’t cover your medical condition or are enrolled in a state high risk pool, you are not eligible for the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan.
    You must have a pre-existing condition or have been denied coverage because of your health condition."

    Also check out this web site, http://www.naic.org/index_health_reform_section.htm run by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. There may be info there about how you can get insurance.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Member Array JerryRushing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    42
    I don't know that this will be of much help, as I'm not sure there are YMCA's in Virginia, and you stated that your father is going to be covering your gym membership anyway, but...

    Here in Phoenix, the Y allows you to file for low income assistance. Doing so allows you to claim any amount you feel you can afford. I declared $20 a month for my membership, later finding out that they would have accepted $5.

  4. #4
    Member
    Array Coder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    446
    Don't worry. You'll pay enough in taxes later to more than cover what you're getting now.

    Wish the best for you and yours.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

  5. #5
    Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Under a rock.
    Posts
    1,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Sorry to hear about your difficulties. First, don't be feeling shameful about having to lean on government for some sort assistance. If you are receiving something you are lawfully allowed to receive, accept it, and don't put guilt on your own shoulders.

    Now, more importantly. You say you are 25. I had a hard time following stuff in your post so maybe I'll be a little off with my advice, but here goes.

    Do you have a parent who has health insurance through a group policy?
    Does your wife have a parent who has health insurance through a group policy?

    If the answer is yes to either, you should be entitled now, with present health insurance reforms already in place, to get health insurance through their policy so long as you are less than 26. That applies to you and to your wife, separately through your respective parents. So, if you haven't already checked into that route, consider doing so. Being married is not by itself a bar to getting insurance through a parent's policy.

    Your wife's pre-existing condition should not affect her ability to get coverage under her parent's policy so long as she is under 26. That is one of the great improvements Congress just made.

    Further, check out this url https://www.pcip.gov/ It is a government site. You or your wife or both of you may be eligible to get health insurance without regard to pre-existing conditions issues, subject to these restrictions:

    "You must be a citizen or national of the United States or residing in the U.S. legally.
    You must have been uninsured for at least the last six months. Please note that if you currently have insurance coverage that doesn’t cover your medical condition or are enrolled in a state high risk pool, you are not eligible for the Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan.
    You must have a pre-existing condition or have been denied coverage because of your health condition."

    Also check out this web site, http://www.naic.org/index_health_reform_section.htm run by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. There may be info there about how you can get insurance.

    Good luck.
    Sorry if it was confusing. I'll be 25 in August, my wife turns 24 in Feb. Thanks for the link, I really appreciate it. I'll look into it. My wife looked into some goverment insurance thing where she was qualified and I wasn't ? Not sure?

    JerryRushing-Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. Theres a 24hr gym opening up really soon right down the street, so we'll see.

    Coder: haha, too true. I'm not too worried about the money aspect, it just makes a person feel like a failure when they have no choice but to turn to folks/goverment for help, ya know?

    I filled out a a FASFA and will talk to the local community college on Monday, since I'll be out of work for a while yet, I'll see if I can get into some classes maybe?

    I sold my Springfield XD for some cash to help out as well. I don't really carry it, and worst case if I end up missing it THAT BAD, I can look into getting another one when I'm back on my feet.


    "To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

  6. #6
    Member Array Greg Foster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Posts
    252
    My thoughts and prayers are with you Bro!

  7. #7
    VIP Member
    Array Saber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    2,591
    Sorry to hear of your circumstance, and it does put things in perspective for me personally. Based on other comments, it seems like you have options for provisional care through various sources and that's a start. Many folks haven't a clue or even a computer. You may also find resources through your county Health Department. My former employer (wife) worked issues similar to this during her time with the county. Just a thought ~
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

  8. #8
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    12,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Sorry if it was confusing. I'll be 25 in August, my wife turns 24 in Feb. Thanks for the link, I really appreciate it. I'll look into it. My wife looked into some goverment insurance thing where she was qualified and I wasn't ? Not sure?

    JerryRushing-Thanks for the info, I'll look into it. Theres a 24hr gym opening up really soon right down the street, so we'll see.

    Coder: haha, too true. I'm not too worried about the money aspect, it just makes a person feel like a failure when they have no choice but to turn to folks/goverment for help, ya know?

    I filled out a a FASFA and will talk to the local community college on Monday, since I'll be out of work for a while yet, I'll see if I can get into some classes maybe?

    I sold my Springfield XD for some cash to help out as well. I don't really carry it, and worst case if I end up missing it THAT BAD, I can look into getting another one when I'm back on my feet.
    When you are at the community college, inquire as to whether or not the school makes it possible for you to buy low cost health insurance as a student. This used to be a very common way young people got their health insurance. I have no idea whether such insurance still is available or if your school will offer it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Array Chevy-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    926
    We all suffer our own 'trials and tribulations'. It sounds like you've got more than your fair share, so I wish you the best.

    Lately, it seems like lots of pain in my life too, and I have found much comfort in listening to others. There are lots of FREE resources on the web. For instance, if you browse through this site: http://www.ted.com/talks you will find many short talks given by well-known speakers. Look for the 'inspirational' ones.

    Another site that has good free stuff is: http://www.learnoutloud.com/Free-Aud...lf-Development Lots of stuff there, available in many different formats.

    I download and save many of these as MP3 files, then I can play them in my car while I drive around. I find that this really has helped my overall attitude.

    Good luck........
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Array Bark'n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Central Missouri
    Posts
    9,916
    Hang in there buddy, You know your friends here are pulling for you. Seek out financial assistance wherever you can. I'll keep you in my prayers.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi


    "The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

  11. #11
    Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Under a rock.
    Posts
    1,763
    Thanks. FYI- I'm over the age limit to be added through my fathers insurance. My mom doesn't work anymore. I will still be posting, and I had to make internet one of our financial priorities due to my wife's schedule, and online assignments through her school.

    Anybody have kind words, or advise reguarding fights caused by stress? Seems like all the wife and I keep fighting more lately, I'm geussing due to shorter triggers b/c of stress.


    "To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

  12. #12
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    12,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Thanks. FYI- I'm over the age limit to be added through my fathers insurance.
    Uh, you wrote that you are 24 and will be 25 in August. You are NOT over the age limit to be added to your father's insurance. In the past you could be dropped once you reached age 22; but the new law is very specific that you can be added until you are 26 and that being married has nothing to do with it. That law is in effect NOW.

    There are some issues which crop up at Human Resources where there are certain dates and open enrollment periods when things must be done, and often that is by Jan 1 of a year; which date has passed. But at 24 you are not over the age limit.

    I'm going to guess that your dad thinks you are over the age limit and that he has perhaps said that to you, because he is used to the old rules, and perhaps not aware there is a new law on this matter. That is only a guess and certainly I could be wrong. I just don't want you to miss an opportunity because of mis-information.

    As for the fighting due to stress, it happens. You two both must understand that it is typical and try to move on as a team. If one of you or both of you don't see this journey of difficulty as a team effort, and start playing the blame game, you'll pull apart. That game is a losing one. No winners.

    It sounds like both of you are doing what you need to be doing. It sounds like your wife is in nursing school trying to better herself and you are heading for school, also trying to better yourself, and so you both need to keep pulling together in this direction. It is a team effort.

    Hang tough with this all and good luck.

  13. #13
    Ex Member Array Ram Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    13,687
    Remember that it can always be worse. My wife became disabled last April, and since then, we've been surviving on my paycheck alone. Hard times perhaps. Sold our bass boat two weeks ago to make some bills. You're not alone. I feel your plight. Right there with you matter of fact. Hang in there and do the best you can.

  14. #14
    VIP Member Array packinnova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    4,368
    What Ram said. Good luck to you. I've had my fair share before. I sold the boat, the truck, some guns, and was living on game and whatever my folks could spare for a time. Thankfully I was still making enough at the time to make my house payment so I never got throw out of my home or anything. It can get better though if you stick it through and play your cards right. It sounds like you both still have family around that are or may be willing to help. Don't ignore that avenue. Good family is hard to come by as most of us are only given one.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

    "Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

  15. #15
    VIP Member
    Array Thumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,345
    Praying for you and your family... I understand how defeating it can feel.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

    "A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Possibly Good: Robber possibly shot by accomplice
    By NJB in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
  2. First time in my life i had to point a gun at someone!!!
    By bruce21b in forum Carry & Defensive Scenarios
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: June 7th, 2009, 10:56 PM
  3. This is the worst day of my life (Joke)
    By osanmike in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 15th, 2008, 01:44 AM
  4. The worst day of my life,, SO FAR.
    By Magilla82ABN in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: May 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
  5. Possibly saved my brother-in-laws life while hunting
    By *SA-XD4ME* in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: December 10th, 2007, 10:56 PM

Search tags for this page

college was the worst time of my life

,

how to remember worst time in life

,

ruger lc9 review

,

worst time in my life

Click on a term to search for related topics.