So proud of my "Good Witness" son

This is a discussion on So proud of my "Good Witness" son within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My 26 year old, non-CWP son (but he's working on it) related an incident to me that he was involved with the other day. I ...

Thread: So proud of my "Good Witness" son

So proud of my "Good Witness" son

My 26 year old, non-CWP son (but he's working on it) related an incident to me that he was involved with the other day. I always tell the boys to be observant and alert, especially when out & about, but sometimes get the feeling that they are patronizing their old man and his advice. Anyway, while driving down the city's main drag, he noticed a "kinda sketchy" young gentleman wearing gang colors walking down the sidewalk with what appeared to be a silver handgun held under crossed hands just below his beltline (SC is not an OC state). Rather than making a commotion or staring, he simply turned into a nearby fast food place and parked to observe him. Dialing 911, he was able to provide the police with a detailed clothing description and direction of travel. Per the dispatcher, there were already several units looking for this character, though she wouldn't say why. Within moments, the guy was stopped and surrounded by several PD units and taken into custody without incident. A soon as the cuffs went on the possible BG, my son rang off with 911 and proceeded on his way. The cops nor the perp ever had any idea who made the call.
    I have repeatedly told my kids that a cell phone can be as (or more) effective than a weapon as a deterrent to crime, but it's so gratifying when something like this happens and you know they heard the message. When I told him how proud I was of his actions, he just looked at me and said "Dad, I've been hearing this stuff since I was a kid; I figured you knew what you were talking about!"
    It's always good to be a dad, but some days it's better...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

2. Remove Ads

At least you know he is listening sometimes!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member
    That's a heads up son you got there.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Where was this at RD?

I live in the Florence area; and I just like to keep tabs on anything in my backyard.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    My wife keeps telling me our son is listening even when I think he isn't or when I think he doesn't care what I'm talking about.

I know you are proud of your son and for the things you have taught him.
    SCGunLover1

My daughter thought I was crazy to carry a gun, even knowing my past job , experiences, etc.

However, she works in "medical" within a jail now..... and she told me, I totally understand why you carry a gun now and I want to get my CCL, want you to teach me to shoot, and help me pick a gun. I asked her why, her answer ; I didn't really understand how crazy so many of the people out there really are.

One of her daily encounters was with a well-known serial murderer of women.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    "Dad, I've been hearing this stuff since I was a kid; I figured you knew what you were talking about!"
    It's always good to be a dad, but some days it's better...
    That's the moment when you realized they were listening and maybe, just maybe, something sunk in.

It IS a good feeling! Bravo Zulu Daddy!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Children hear, but they are sometimes slow to listen...congrats to your son.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    Very well done . Hopefully he will get his permit soon.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Good job both of you!

VIP Member
    "Dad, I've been hearing this stuff since I was a kid; I figured you knew what you were talking about!"

^^^^^^^^^I bet you couldn't stop beaming with pride all day & night! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good for him.

Thats a good story, with a happy ending, (except for the thug).

David Broder:
    Anyone that wants the presidency so much that he'll spend two years organizing and campaigning for it is not to be trusted with the office.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

That is great! Being a Dad myself, I too know the feeling when your child does something and the advice you have given pays off. It's a great feeling.

Your son did great and you have every right to be a proud father.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

He listened for sure. But my pastor keeps telling us, "With kids, more is caught than taught." Obviously he was watching your example as well. Too many folks would not even get involved. Good for both of you.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member
    Kudos on you and your son!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredonce View Post
    I have repeatedly told my kids that a cell phone can be as (or more) effective than a weapon as a deterrent to crime, but it's so gratifying when something like this happens and you know they heard the message. When I told him how proud I was of his actions, he just looked at me and said "Dad, I've been hearing this stuff since I was a kid; I figured you knew what you were talking about!"
    Kudos to him. It's got to feel good to know he was listening and actually appreciates you've got at least some wisdom to impart.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links