For my Brother...... RIP Johnny, I'll miss you.

This is a discussion on For my Brother...... RIP Johnny, I'll miss you. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, This weekend I received some news that has shaken me to my core. I just found out that my older brother by two years ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For my Brother...... RIP Johnny, I'll miss you.

Well, This weekend I received some news that has shaken me to my core.

I just found out that my older brother by two years has passed away. More devastating than that, he passed away on July 14th of 2010. Coming from a broken home and living in foster care took its toll on both myself and my siblings. Once old enough to be on our own, that's pretty much what we did; stayed to ourselves and seldom tried to locate and make contact with each other. For me, it was the memories of the jacked up abuse we suffered by the system and the Alcoholic family we ended up with. We all left as soon as we could and went our separate ways, but normally stayed in the same state, so the occasional contact here and there proved that it's best to remain apart. The only real way I can describe it is, we were toxic around each other. We would always fight and argue over the dumbest things, even after not seeing each other for several months, or even years. A lot of times these disagreements would escalate into all out physical altercations and that's where I would draw the line. I decided when I was in my mid twenties that it's best if we just parted ways and built our lives around our spouses and their families and chalked up our childhood together as a statistic better left alone.

So, twenty years later, and for the last five or so years thought that maybe through some level of maturity and a sense of our own mortality we could reunite and finally get along with each other long enough to become as brothers should be. I've searched for the last three years or so to locate my older brother and found out that he had moved to Alaska. WOW! From Georgia to Alaska is quite a move IMO. Anyway, I thought I might have a shot at locating him there, but after a year or so of looking found nothing. I'm pretty computer savvy and figured that if I couldn't locate him with help of the internet that he didn't want to be found. Early last year I located my younger brother and in our conversation he told me that he too was trying to locate our older brother. He's how I found out that John had moved to Alaska. I was excited at the prospect of locating him and extremely depressed at the same time. My younger brother told me how he discovered that John had moved and where. He said he went to the last known location where he lived and the lady he was living with said he moved a couple of years earlier. She also told him that he came back about six months ago and was very depressed and wanted to find his family, but couldn't locate anyone, so he was going back to Alaska. When I heard that I started searching again, but again came up
    with nothing.

That brings me to this last weekend. My wife called me and said she might have located my brother. She gave me all the info i.e.Anchoreage Alaska, his full name and needless to say I got excited. I started my search and the very first thing that I saw was the obituary for my brother. I cannot describe how I felt at that time and honestly would not wish that on my worst enemy. I gasp to take a breath and immediately started going into doubt and dismay. I refused to believe that it was him and that there had to be some kinda mistake. After discovering the name of the medical center and a few calls later my life will never be the same. I'm pretty much devastated by this tragic news and would give anything to have
    been able to speak to my brother before he succumb to his cause of death. I was told the cause of death was an inoperable brain tumor and there was nothing that could be done
    for him.

I'm posting this for a couple of reasons. One of which is to advise anyone that may read this to understand something. Knowing that my brother passed away alone and without any of his brothers to try to comfort him during his last days on earth is almost more than I can stand. If anyone has family members that are estranged for any reason, try to take the high road and not allow the rift in your lives to keep you apart for long, if at all. My emotions are running the gamut right now and I'm practically inconsolable due my guilt over my part in the family feuding. I would give anything to bring him back and let him know how much I care and how often I prayed for his well being, but a lot of good that does now.

Anyway, the other reason; I wanted to say thanks to all of you at DC for the time I've spent here. I have enjoyed the conversations and topics, some of which I probably should have just read and went on about my business as apposed to levying my opinion and ruffling feathers. To any I've offended by my post (My Apologies) to you and all the best to you and your endeavors. I've decided to refocus my efforts in other areas of my life which I anticipate taking up most of my time, and I need to take a break from a lot of stuff and regroup. I don't know how long memberships last without the individual checking in, but if it's gone I'll rejoin start over..

I'd especially like to thank Bumper and his staff for providing an awesome place for everyone (myself included) to join and discuss firearms related topics. Thanks again to all of you and may God bless all of you and your loved ones!

GBK signing off.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    I'm sorry, GBK. Thanks for sharing this. Both you and Johnny are in my prayers this morning.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    WOW. I'm sorry as well. I'll be praying too.
    SCGunLover1

Senior Moderator
    I'm very sorry for your loss, and I hope you can find some peace as you re-prioritize things in your life. The forum will keep your account pretty much indefinitely, and if not one of the admins can always re-activate it for you one way or another.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Can't imagin your pain right now loosing a sibling is tough no matter what the situation was in the past. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, hang in there and let us know how your getting along down the road. Take care of yourself GBK

Administrator
    R.I.P. John.

GM
    I am so sorry for your loss, you have my deepest sympathy. R.I.P. Johnny.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Sorry to hear of your lifetime path to the loss of your brother. I certainly understand your need for re-focusing and you will be missed here, but we are here if you need us.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

You have my deepest condolences for your lose.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Sorry for you loss. Thanks for posting and reminding us all how short this life really is.
    NRA Life Member

Sorry for your lost, it is a kick to the nuts for sure. I work with my family everyday and cannot image loosing any one of them. As mom used to say."They will kill each other or kill for each other"

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    My sincere condolences for your loss. However, I want to thank you for your post in that too many families (mine included) face estrangement of family members only to realize too late how important they are to each others. Despite your pain about your brother’s passing, maybe some good may come if others who read your post will recognize how important it is to maintain those relationships. There no time better than now....life is so short.

OD*
    I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Blessed are they who mourn: for they shall be comforted.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Sorry for your loss. Restin peace Johnny.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Praying for both you and your brother. While we never know how much time we have on this earth it never seems to be enough. We all wish we could ease the pain and perhaps fill the emptiness.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links