Tough Times - Surgeries

This is a discussion on Tough Times - Surgeries within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife had back surgery last Wednesday. She's doing well, just can't bend or lift anything for a while. I'm having knee surgery this coming ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough Times - Surgeries

Tough Times - Surgeries

My wife had back surgery last Wednesday. She's doing well, just can't bend or lift anything for a while.

I'm having knee surgery this coming Thursday. Doc says it is a 12 MONTH recovery!?!?! 6 weeks on crutches with no weight at all on it and then we ease up from there. He believes I have a partially torn patella tendon, hence the long recovery.

It's gonna be difficult with my wife's back and my knee because we have 2 kids, 9 years old and 2 years old. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude about it, but its tough at times. I keep telling myself it's just part of the challenges of life we have to deal with and there are a lot of folks dealing with a lot worse, so I am blessed in many ways.

After a little time, I'll still be able to work out of my bowflex and total gym, go to the practice putting green, and hopefully go shooting with my buddies. It just might take me a little longer, but I've still got to get out there and try to do some of the stuff I enjoy doing. I'm hoping it isn't as bad as he thinks and maybe it won't take quite so long. We'll see.

Anyway, keep us in your thoughts and prayers. I'll have plenty of time to surf the net the first several weeks, so I'll be around. Thanks guys...you're all like a big group of friends to me and I enjoy our discussions.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    ... Anyway, keep us in your thoughts and prayers...
    'Will do, BugDude.

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about that. Bad timing for you both to be down at about the same time. I hope you have some parents around who can pitch in with the kids. Good luck.

Prayer sent for you and your family. You will be fine through this as your attitude is right.

Hey man, I am sorry to hear about this. But I get the feeling from reading your words you are gonna be difficult to keep down and hold back. So, thoughts and prayers to you and the Mrs and look forward to more conversation.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Good luck to you and your wife. I'm having knee surgery on the 12th for my medial and lateral miniscus.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Good luck with your recoveries, Bug.

God Speed to both of you. Your part of the DC Family, and we hate to see you down. Keep your chin up and your sense of humor and you'll make it through this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

You're both added to my DC list...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Best of luck on your surgery and on both your and the Mrs recoveries. Keep the chin up Bug.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Hang in there BugDude. Sometimes it seems it never rains but what it pours. Here's wishing you both a speedy recovery and good luck managing the care of the kids.

That's tough duty.

I'll bet being cooped up is worse than the actual surgery.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Thanks to you all for your kind words and well wishes. This truly is a family of like-minded folks, and I appreciate you all. Being cooped up will be the worst, BUT I WILL get myself off the pain meds as soon as possible (I hate that junk making me feel all fuzzy headed) so I can start hobbling around on the crutches, get back to work, mow my grass, shoot my guns, and hit some golf balls. I will not be kept down!!! I'll also find a way to make fun of myself...it makes it easier for others to laugh at aspects of life you when you can laugh at yourself.

Both our parents live 2 hours away, so we don't have any family close by. They're taking turns coming up and helping, so hopefully we'll be able to have someone here most of the time. The first 6 weeks with no weight on the right leg will be the hardest, and I'll be taking most of that time off from work. I want to get back into my regular routine as soon as possible. My buddies said I can ride along in the golf cart and shoot groundhogs at the golf course. I'll figure out a way to hit a golf ball, even if I have to stand on one leg and lean on the ball washer.

As for Carrying: The first several days hopped up on killer pain meds I may leave the guns locked in the safe. I'll just have to see how I feel. I have my 12ga in the bedroom for HD. Once I get out and about, I'm going to be carrying a high capacity handgun since getting out of dodge will be a slow journey. I'm thinking Bersa Thunder 9 UC (13+1 and 4 mags = 53 rounds) and I may carry my 442 weak side too. Around the house (after off the heavy meds), it will likely be the PT709 or 442 (although I am currently carrying the Bersa in an IWB in my lounge pants).

We greatly appreciate your thoughts and prayers...I learned long ago to let go of the reigns of my life and hand them over to The Lord. The Lord has blessed me in ways I could have never even imagined asking for, so He knows much better than I the path my life should take. This is just part of it. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best and it usually lands somewhere in between. Thanks guys. I'll be keeping in touch.

justherenow, good luck with your knee surgery...I'll add you to my prayer list.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Bugdude, prayers for you and Mrs. BD, as well. Heal fast.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Putting you and the Mrs. on my prayer list. Good luck on your surgeries and wishing you both speedy recoveries.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links