My son has decided he wants to join the Air Force

This is a discussion on My son has decided he wants to join the Air Force within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; He has made a good choice. I can attest to this, as I am retired USAF. It set the standards for a young kid, who ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: My son has decided he wants to join the Air Force

He has made a good choice. I can attest to this, as I am retired USAF. It set the standards for a young kid, who didn't know what he wanted out of life. I've been retired after 20 years, for a long time, and had a good life.

2. Remove Ads

Congratulations Mike. As a 15 year (so far) Air Force and Air Force Reserve veteran I can say without reservation it was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I'm an Aircraft mechanic( structural maintainance 12 years and now aircraft electrician) so I feel qualified to say that he needs to take a hard look into a job that isn't so hard on your body. I have osteo arthritis in both of my shouders from the job. The coming thing is the Cyber jobs now, I'm getting my degree in Computer Science so when I retire I can have a good career after the military. Congratulate your son for me and if you need anything I may be able to help with PM me. I'll answer if I know it and I'll find the answer for you if I don't.
    Libertas Vel Mors

I don't know how I could have forgotten to say this before, but DO NOT GO "OPEN, GENERAL." That's a cute way of saying, "Put me wherever you need me." Of course, this usually means Security Forces (i.e. cops).

Never forget that recruiters are trying to sell you something. They have "sales" number to meet, just like car salesmen do. If you get a hinky feeling, go find a different one. Best of luck.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Thumbs up for your son's decision to serve in uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    The Air Force is generally the best branch I think to go into. A friend of mine had a son who went in because his Dad was cutting him off for some nefarious activities he was involved in. It made a man out of him as all branches tend to do. He is now and has been the personal assistant to the base colonel. He will be doing his full 20. In this economy I could not blame any young person for going to the military. Good for him.
    I think the air force is great! Us Navy people give them a hard time but they are great. I hear Congress is thinking about making them part of the military soon!!!
    TN_Mike likes this.

Good going Mike,
    raising youngins in today's world is hard enough,
    Hes going in the right direction.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

If he has any computer interest at all I recommend system administration or network admin. He doesn't need to be a computer genius going in, all he needs is interest and a little ambition. The schooling opportunities are endless and with a little initiative and self-discipline he is looking at employment from now until the end of time. Just the thoughts of a former sysad and dad of a former AF network admin now working in the private sector. PM me for details if you want to...
    The United States Constitution (c) 1791. All Rights Reserved

Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    I think the air force is great! Us Navy people give them a hard time but they are great. I hear Congress is thinking about making them part of the military soon!!!
    Now that's funny! Yeah, we Navy guys gave the "Chair Force" a hard time. But they are good people.
    Kerby likes this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I've recommended this before but wanted to do it again, Mike, take the time to sit down and write your son a letter telling him how proud you are and what you're feeling on hearing his decision. Seal it up and give it to him on his first re-enlistment / decision day. It'll mean a lot to him.
    Rock and Glock and TN_Mike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Now that's funny! Yeah, we Navy guys gave the "Chair Force" a hard time. But they are good people.
    at least they are on our side (remote in hand and all) haha

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    at least they are on our side (remote in hand and all) haha
    Put the coffee down.

Anyway, if I were back in the right age bracket again knowing what I know now, I'd go Air Force or Coast Guard. I think he made a wise choice, and the best of luck to him.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Put the coffee down???? SIXTO I see you know the Navy man's weakness haha... (during the work day anyhow)

I can only add to what others have said. Be proud that he wants to serve his country in the Military. I hope that he does well. I only did the short tour during Vietnam, ( 2 year draftee) but it works wonders for young people. Branch aside, give him you blessing and let him spread his wings. (No pun intended).
    Best of luck to him. GB
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

air force good decion! the navy is good to but maybe he does not want to be on the sea wich they spend the most of the time doing unless master at arms, so mabye he like being on the ground! any ways airforce treat there soldier best out of every branch, they have the highest quality special for living the will take care of him! i have family in air force, army, and marine, he will enjoy the airforce, me i am try to go coast guard as of right now, hope i can get in to serve my country! good luck with his choice!

VIP Member
    Congratulations on your son’s decision to serve. I joined the Air Force in 1968 primarily to avoid carrying a rifle in the jungle. I talked to the Navy recruiter first but the career field I wanted required a six year commitment and I was not interested in serving that long. I started out as an aircraft electrician but got bored with it so I cross trained to Flight Engineer, well I wound up staying for 22 years, best decision I ever made. I second the comments made in choosing a career field with job prospects after separation after all as a retired flight engineer there are not many job prospects after separating but where else can a Kentucky farm boy get a 100 million dollar airplane and three officers to take him all over the world.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links