My son has decided he wants to join the Air Force

This is a discussion on My son has decided he wants to join the Air Force within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I talked to him about choosing a job in the AF that has good prospects for employment after he is back in the civilian world. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: My son has decided he wants to join the Air Force

I talked to him about choosing a job in the AF that has good prospects for employment after he is back in the civilian world. He is looking at Air Traffic Controller and System Admin among a few others. He's taking this very seriously which he shouldn, it's just an interesting change with him. I'm glad he's getting serious about this.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Mike, I know you are proud of your son for making his own decision to pursue enlisting in the Air Force. I have ten years experience in Air Force Recruiting, so, if I can answer any questions for either yourself or your son, please feel free to PM me.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Thanks First Sgt.! You will be getting a PM in the next few days. I can guarantee that.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Air Force...great choice, but having been a Coastie myself, I must say that the Coast Guard would not be a bad place to work for a young man or woman.
    What ever your son's choice, I'm sure he'll make you proud.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wholeheartedly applaud his decision. I recently transitioned out after 8 years in the navy and I can honestly say it was the best single decision I ever made. I learned a lot about myself and even though I joined at 26 it still made me the man I am now.

Just want to chime in and reinforce the recommendation to take a job that gives you a job outside the military. I've watched a lot of people get out and all they have to show for their time served is saying they were in the military. There is nothing wrong with this, I'm very proud of my service. However the military will take everything they can from your son so he might as well take what he can.

I chose a job that involved very intense school and a lot of training and used that training and the follow-on qualifications to get a job that pays more than any person with a degree in theatre has any right to expect.

Congrats to you and your son, both of you should be very proud. It's an honorable thing to serve your country, regardless of the time or reasons.
    A dozen means twelve, learn to count bakers! - Stephen Colbert

Colt 1991A1 and S&W M&P 45 Compact

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Congrats! My #2 son joined the Navy and is now floating around in places I can't discuss and #1 son is in Army AIT in AZ, #1 step-son did 3 tours in the sandbox with the Marines. My only request of my boys was they run TO something rather than run away FROM something.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Mike, Congrats to you, your wife and your son on his choice to serve. As a retiree after 24 years in the AF I can say for the most part I enjoyed my time. Some career fields are better for promotion than others, since promotions are based on the percentages of people in the field. The larger the field, the more promotions. Aircraft maintenance is usually a good field for promotions, but it is a lot of long hours, TDY time and brutal conditions. The flight-line never closes, someone is there 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The only 2 days a year it is closed is Thanksgiving day and Christmas day, then there is going to be a standby crew just in case. During my time I worked in -20 below temperatures to 110 degrees.

I have problems with my back, my knees, my hands, but you know, I'd do it all again if I was young enough.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links