My son has decided he wants to join the Air Force

This is a discussion on My son has decided he wants to join the Air Force within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My oldest, who is 20 now, has told me and his Mother that he has decided he wants to join the Air Force. I think ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: My son has decided he wants to join the Air Force

My son has decided he wants to join the Air Force

My oldest, who is 20 now, has told me and his Mother that he has decided he wants to join the Air Force. I think this is great. It's completely his decision. Although being a Navy vet myself, I am a tad disappointed that he didn't want to go navy, but I can live with it.

He is going to talk to the recruiter soon to see what they can do.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

The Air Force is supposed to be a great branch to be in, with a lot of good opportunities to get advanced training in a myriad of fields. Best of luck to him. And good job, sounds like you raised him right if he is willing to serve his country.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

You have to let them do what they want to do. You teach them right from wrong, good from bad, then they make their own decisions. It's life. The best you can do is stand behind him and let him know that you care.
    oneshot likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    My oldest, who is 20 now, has told me and his Mother that he has decided he wants to join the Air Force. I think this is great. It's completely his decision. Although being a Navy vet myself, I am a tad disappointed that he didn't want to go navy, but I can live with it.

He is going to talk to the recruiter soon to see what they can do.
    GOOD FOR HIM!!!! but you know GO NAVY...

Mike,

Whatever branch of the Military he would have chosen, it is good that it was his decision to carry on the tradition of his father.

I know you are proud of him.

Wishing him all the best!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

DC Founder
    Congrats, Mike. Our son left for the Navy last July and is now at his first station in California.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

being in the navy i would figure you would want him to be a marine?????????????they call it the men's department don't they?

J/K
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Congratulations, and that's a good choice for him. It was the best decision in the world for me.

Here's some background that may help him in his discussions with the recruiters:

When I made the decision to go in, I was working with two veterans who told me to make sure I got a guaranteed job, because without a guaranteed job the Air Force would make either a cop or a cook out of you. I decided to outfox the Air Force and ask to be a cook -- for me, in the end, that proved to be one of the luckiest, best decisions I ever made. But that was me, I got lucky with a loosely made decision, and I would not recommend making this decision that loosley to anyone.

Tell your son to choose his job wisely. Flight line mechanics may seem romantic and all that, but the truth is they get deployed a lot, in less than great conditions, and when they're hugging sand fleas they're usually working in shadeless 120 degree weather, getting greasy and dirty, and still having to wear a full uniform. So that one decision is a critical decision: choose his job wisely. They will put him through the ASVAB tests, at least they called it ASVAB back then though may have a different name for it now, and he needs to control his recruiting process to the point where he gets tested first, to see what jobs he qualifies for, then carefully reviews the lists of jobs to which he's best suited. Any one of the categories within that test have some very useful, enticing, long-term educational jobs within them, and he should really take his time with this decision.

The ASVAB is broken down into four categories: General, Mechanical, Electrical and Administrative. He should choose within the general section on which he does the best on the test.

Some examples of some little-known, but truly great, jobs within the Air Force: historian, logistics, chaplain's aide, postal clerk - yes, postal clerk, think of the benefits of that experience when he gets out and is looking for a job - loadmaster, imagery interpretation, medical laboratory, personnel, cable and antena systems .... the depth and breadth of jobs available is pretty impressive actually, tell him not to just shoot for airplane mechanic or cook or cop.

Here's a link to some helpful information.

And God Bless him, best of luck to him and all of you.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Sponsor
    Mike,
    As a veteran of the Army and the Air Force(res), I would say he made the right choice. The Air Force is the reason a whole bunch of us Army and Marine types are still breathing! Not to mention that the Air Force is tops in the Tech fields. Come to think of it, the Navy may be as good (my Son in law is avionics, Navy so I gotta say this).
    Regardless, You are certainly justified in being proud of your boy!
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

You might want to guide him towards a Job that after he ETS out there will be a Civilian Job that companies will be just waiting to put him on the payroll with great pay and benefits
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Let me know if I can help in any way. I'm not very smart, but I know some smart people.

A few thoughts: 1) Words mean nothing. Anything the recruiter promises MUST be in writing. Otherwise, it never happened. 2) There are no enlisted pilots in the USAF--none. 3) Cops have a high volume of people passing through the career field. They are necessarily hard on their young, but part of that is because they don't always get the brightest ones. 4) I echo the above comments about mx and cops. Our maintainers work 12 hour days in addition to taking care of administrative-type stuff and gym time. It's pretty relentless. 5) I would go air traffic controller if I could. Do your time and go into a 6-figure job the the FAA. My other big choice would be enlisted aircrew (flight engineer, loadmaster, AWACS/JOINT STARS backender), but be ready to be gone a lot. 6) Intel wouldn't be bad, but I've met some pretty questionable intel officers.

If he's interested in getting a technical degree, check into ROTC or the AF Academy. He's not too old yet.

Again, let me know if I can help.

Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Lead Moderator
    Any service will give him a chance to mature and really decide what he wants to do with the rest of his life.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

para-rescue or air traffic controller......i went to the marine combatant dive school with some air traffic controllers are they are some good dudes (a few pre-madonas) they did real well in the class non the less. and i have worked with para-rescue guys as well, they have a tier one unit that he could get into if he has the drive and heart to do it. those guys are the best at what they do. what kind of job is he looking @?
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

VIP Member
    No, not the Chair Force!!! Go Navy!!
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

The Air Force is generally the best branch I think to go into. A friend of mine had a son who went in because his Dad was cutting him off for some nefarious activities he was involved in. It made a man out of him as all branches tend to do. He is now and has been the personal assistant to the base colonel. He will be doing his full 20. In this economy I could not blame any young person for going to the military. Good for him.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links