A little Genealogy Information

This is a discussion on A little Genealogy Information within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been working on my family genealogy lately. I did some of it 5 or 6 years ago, but had put it down for a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tkruf

Thread: A little Genealogy Information

I've been working on my family genealogy lately. I did some of it 5 or 6 years ago, but had put it down for a while. Well something got me started again this past week and I discovered that I am a distant (very distant) cousin to the late Wyatt Earp.

Yup, that's right. Wyatt Berry Stapp Earp.

Come to find out that his Great Great Grandfather was brothers with my 5th Great Grandfather. I know that's pretty distant, but I still think it is a pretty cool thing to find out.

Too bad his shooting skills don't run this deep in the blood. LOL

But it does make me want to go out and pick up a nice Single Action.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

That stuff is kind of fun. The wife's family on her mother's side were Cody's, relatives of the "Buffalo Man".
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

That is pretty cool, tk! I am a descendant of the Sam Colt family, hence the handle I have...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

It can be really fun to research your family. I am not related to anyone famous, but one of my distant ancestors hired Thomas Jefferson as his lawyer in a 1760's style divorce case. My ancestor had been accused by a neighbour of having an adulterous relationship with a servant girl who worked in the home. Back then, you could be taken to court for it by anyone.

My ancestor won the case, got divorced from his 1st wife, and subsquently married the servant gal. Their first daughter is my ancestor.

I also have two ancestors named Jesse James. Neither one being the outlaw fellow. Apparently the name Jesse is a favourite one in the James families.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

I'm a distant relation to Lee Majors (Six Million Dollar Man), oh, not by blood, by money, I'm the (Six Dollar Man)!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

An ancestor was adopted by Daniel Boone in Boonesborough, or so goes the story.

My 2 sets of grand-parents and great grand-parents lived down the road from the Earps when they were in Missouri.

Oh, you'll find a lot of things once you dig.... I'm back in the 1400's on 6 family lines...... my mother is named after an aunt, that was named after her mother's cousin, who was Todd Lincoln's wife. Whew. And, one family line ..... were owners of Harland and Wolfe who designed and built the Titanic. I could go on and on ... my namesake ancestory goes back to an area in Scotland that was known as the most rebellious area in Scotland and where Wm the Bruce, etc. fought the English and won. That fits. LOL.

So, you may find a lot of things.... "good hunting".
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member
    Yes, a new gun to celebrate would be perfectly appropriate!!

VIP Member
    My cousin researched our family history back to two brothers who came over in 1686 as indentured servants; yes white folks were slaves also. As an interesting note while doing some research in history class I found a warrant for one of my relatives offering a whole six shillings for his arrest for escape.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    My 2 sets of grand-parents and great grand-parents lived down the road from the Earps when they were in Missouri.

Oh, you'll find a lot of things once you dig.... I'm back in the 1400's on 6 family lines...... my mother is named after an aunt, that was named after her mother's cousin, who was Todd Lincoln's wife. Whew. And, one family line ..... were owners of Harland and Wolfe who designed and built the Titanic. I could go on and on ... my namesake ancestory goes back to an area in Scotland that was known as the most rebellious area in Scotland and where Wm the Bruce, etc. fought the English and won. That fits. LOL.

So, you may find a lot of things.... "good hunting".
    My Aunt on my Mother's side has been working on that side of the tree. She just told me a few days ago that she found a link that relates us to Robert the Bruce, King of Scotland.

My Great Great Grandfather was at the surrender at Appomattox on April 9, 1865. He fought and was wounded in the shoulder in the Battle of Gettysburg.

All interesting stuff !
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Links