Need some serious personal input please.

This is a discussion on Need some serious personal input please. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by NC Bullseye It's tough to find a place that does squirrel and red eye gravy right. Amen, brother!!!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Need some serious personal input please.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    It's tough to find a place that does squirrel and red eye gravy right.
    Amen, brother!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

So you are aware that the failure rate of new restaurants is appallingly high. Good.

Then you know that if you take on debt and develop a restaurant that your chances are small that you'll last a year in business. My concern is that your business would be barbeque.

Current trends in dining don't support bbq joints very well except for the large chains that can achieve economies of scale. Trends toward healthful eating, niche cuisine, and rich experience militate against a "trough and brew" joint. Just as with the Brazilian churrascaria movement, there really isn't anything one chef can do with grilled meat that another can't do, the question is what else you can bring to the table. "Recipes" here seem like a non-compelling argument.

A classic ramen restaurant would crush our current climate and be part of the new wave in US cuisine. Anything with small plates, intense flavors, novel ingredients, brilliant colors, and high-protein/low-carb would fit the bill. You have the training, so push the envelope. More Bobby Flay, bring something people don't know. Generate buzz. Start a movement.

Until then, apprentice under the kind of pros who can teach you how to knock out solid, brilliant dishes that can be consistently delivered at high speed.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

The problem shockwave is that in small country places like where I am "small plate" new food "slow food" fancy food all dont work here. What works here is meat and potatoes simple foods with big portions. and I can do that with barbecue, as far as "there really isn't anything one chef can do with grilled meat that another can't do" That couldnt be farther from the truth the smallest difference in every aspect of cooking makes a difference, and I wouldnt be grilling. Im not talking about "bbq" like you have a bbq out back on the weekend with burgers steaks and hotdogs Im talking high quality smoked foods, Im talking what BBQ is really meant to be. Ribs Brisket Pulled pork smoked sausage, poor cuts of meat smoked for 16 or more hours until they have such intense flavor it will make you smack yourself in the face when you taste it. Now thats real Que!!

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    I have to agree with what gasmitty said above. Get yourself one of the commercial trailer mounted pits and start selling your product at fairs, horse pulls, etc. Have business cards to hand out to generate business catering family gatherings, parties, etc.

Build up a good clientele base this way with a minimal cash outlay on your part, and then parlay that into a brick and mortar business.
    Gotta agree completely...Your BBque'd meats, some cole slaw, baked beans, bread....Remember the KISS theory...Keep It Simple Stupid...Make your price reasonable and start generating your business...Don't forget family reunions and church socials and/or fundraisers...There is a market for what CT suggested above...Your ideas don't have to be just inside a building for customers to walk into! JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Well everyone I have thought for months researched longer listened to advice from you all and backed down several times and the end result is Im finally starting my own BBQ business. Im just going to start small for now, Im mounting my big smoker on a trailer and Im going to park in lots and sell meat and sides maybe get some cheap plastic tables and chairs to throw out. But Im doing it!! Im so excited and happy, it might take a while to get started and even longer to start making any money but Im doing it. The only thing I have to do now is research laws on this kind of thing. I have no idea if I need health inspections, permits, permissions so if anyone knows where I could find this information Id appreciate links, if its dependant on the state I live in its Maine. Thanks everyone and wish me luck!
    Rock and Glock likes this.

I have no idea if I need health inspections, permits, permissions so if anyone knows where I could find this information Id appreciate links, if its dependant on the state I live in its Maine.
    Start at the City level - they'll usually help, then County, then State. In many parts of the world (USA, that is) it will be a County/City Permit/License type deal.

Best BBQ I'd had in years was at a County Rodeo close to Salida last year. A pull behind smoker and trailer set-up.

Look here:

http://mobilefoodvendor.com/health-inspections.html

Good luck.

And.....The most important thing...........

Start squeezing every penny, nickel, dime, quarter and dollar like it's a ten dollar bill. Take care of the pennies and nickels and dollars follow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links