Lower back pain and concealed carry

This is a discussion on Lower back pain and concealed carry within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I injured my back in a motorcycle/car collision in my youth. After a recent lower back muscle injury I decided to make some changes in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Lower back pain and concealed carry

I injured my back in a motorcycle/car collision in my youth. After a recent lower back muscle injury I decided to make some changes in my carry gear.
    I've found that Perry suspenders are great for taking some of the strain off my back and putting it on my shoulders. I use a Milt Sparks VM II, which spreads the pressure of the holster out quite well. It carries a Colt Defender. About as light as you can get in a .45 ACP 1911.
    This is carried on a Wilderness E-Z fit, Frequent Flyer belt. I really like the range of adjustment built into this belt. Weighs about nothing. Liking it better than the custom leather gunbelts I've used over the decades.
    Need to work more on the software.
    These changes have helped quite a bit. No longer have to suffer to CCW.

2. Remove Ads

I've noticed since I stated carrying, my tail bone has a pain shooting through it downward! I believe it is my belt or gun!

Quote Originally Posted by LAFLA View Post
    I've had some lower back and leg pain (actually more of a severe discomfort) that a physical therapist diagnosed as a shortening of the hip muscles, specifically the piriformis muscle. Online search indicates that the cause could be poor walking or running technique or poor body mechanics related to a normal gait. The PT asked me if I had changed the way I do anything over the past 3-4 years since he felt this was a long term slow change resulting in the problem. The only thing I could think of was the fact that I started carrying pretty much fulltime about that long ago. Mainly I carry a M&P 9C with CT grips in a Don Hume OWB holster at about 3 o'clock. Weight is about 31 oz fully loaded. Has anyone experienced anything similar?
    OP, have you had an MRI yet? There can be many causes of back pain. The vast majority of us over 40 demonstrate notable spine issues including stenosis, herniations, and other maladies when scanned. Your PT may not be the best person to make a diagnosis; I would recommend seeing a good orthopedist who specializes in spine issues. Get a scan, get a solid diagnosis and THEN start to work on treatment. Just my $.02.

I've noticed since I stated carrying, my tail bone has a pain shooting through it downward! I believe it is my belt or gun!

After 10+years of singing high praises for Welch suspenders if I had spare funds I'd certainly give Perry 'spenders a serious look see. I just wish they were available here locally.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

John 3:16 Gettin' Old ain't for Sissies.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

a good chiropractor and PT/massage therapist are invaluable for anyone. Many suffer needlessly for a long time from problems than can be corrected pretty easily.

I don't carry yet as I do not have my permit yet (still waiting) but I do at home everyday. I have noticed my back on the right side is starting to hurt. I have a Glock 23 C in a Don Hume at 3:30-4:00. May have nothing to do with my gun and maybe just from outside work. Prob need to try a new holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a real gun belt and a named brand holster will help. poor belt and cheap holster will cause some pain. with 35 years on the job and wearing a gun everyday i can say that "if you go cheap" you will feel it later on.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    a real gun belt and a named brand holster will help. poor belt and cheap holster will cause some pain. with 35 years on the job and wearing a gun everyday i can say that "if you go cheap" you will feel it later on.
    34 years of wearing a gun belt almost every workday, and I can second this. Even with that, I can still get twinges every now and then. Two days ago I was in the gym and my lower back just clenched up. Had to stretch, run for a while, tonight it still feels a little sore but experience tells me it will be gone in another day or so.

Despite all our best efforts, wearing a gun belt for decades is sometimes gonna bite you in the butt. Take care of yourself when it happens, stay in shape, see a chiropractor if it helps. Get professional help if it lasts longer than four..... days, I guess. I'm neither a medical professional nor a Ciralis commercial.
    =
    "The six-shooter loaded with deadly cartridges is a dangerous companion for any man, especially if he should unfortunately be primed with whiskey." - Texas Live Stock Journal, June 5, 1884
    "Leave Your Revolvers At Police Headquarters and Get a Check." - Sign outside Wichita, 1873.

Wearing the full rig for 20 yrs played havoc on my lower back and even my hips.

I've always been into weightlifting, not powerlifting but I always lift heavy. I now incorporate A LOT of core work, makes a world of difference.

Regardless of age or physical ailments, I can't imagine a stronger core not providing a benefit.

As previously mentioned, I also sleep on my side now with a pillow between my legs and have for the last few years been sleeping on a memory foam mattress.

Personal record, back hasn't gone out on me since October, 2010.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links