Went and had my annual physical.......interesting results...........

This is a discussion on Went and had my annual physical.......interesting results........... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I also had issues with fatigue that I just attributed to middle age/work/kids/life, etc. Put off checking until the wife finally had enough and made ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Went and had my annual physical.......interesting results...........

I also had issues with fatigue that I just attributed to middle age/work/kids/life, etc. Put off checking until the wife finally had enough and made me see Dr about it. test results confirmed I had Type II Diabetes. I was stunned...I don't fit the profile (5'10", 170lbs, no family history). She started me on Metformin and Lantus insulin and I thought "OK, bad but I can deal with this". Only problem is damage had been done. You see diabetes will destroy your arteries and who knows how long I had been going along clueless to my condition.

Two months after I was diagnosed, in a 5 day period I suffered 2 heart attacks resulting in a stent placement. At 45 yrs old.

Guys, I can not stress enough to you....don't ignore those little signs that something may be wrong and get your ***** checked out. If you're feeling sluggish or out of sorts or whatever just go see the damn Doc. The look of pain and fear in your wife's eyes and your kids eyes is not something a man should ever see. I know I don't ever wish to see it again.

Hope everything works out for ya Bruce.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Yep..."bigbaddaboom" exactly the same here. I'm 55, was tired, no energy, grouchy for no reason. Was diagonosed with type II diabetes last june 2nd, put on Glipizide and Metformin and supplemented with "Androgel" 8 pumps a day. Proved not to be enough and she added a 1.8mg "Victozin" injection daily. The improvement was almost immediate. After 1 year I'm down to 4 pumps of Androgel" and feel like I did 20 years ago.
    I put off going to the DR. for a couple of years, I knew "something" wasn't right. I was just dreading what I would find out, and although it wasn't good news, it wasn't horrible, and was very easily treated. I guess what I'm trying to say is...it's nothing to mess around with. And like most things, left untreated it will only get waaaaay worse.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lol I'm 29 and feel that way. It's probably a little of both for me. And that I have a six month old that don't sleep long and gets up early in the morning, that I work a swing shift job were my sleep is all mess up lol. so Maybe that why I'm tried all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    PSA is a blood test = Prostate Specific Antigens = early cancer markers. No more coughs unless the Doc thinks you're a jerk.
    Hold ON there. The PSA isa sucha bad test that even the guy who invented it is arguing against its use as a screening device. It has way too many false positives and too many false negatives to be useful. Too many people are getting biopsies and surgery that leaves them impotent and incontinent when they didn't need it in the first place. YOU SHOULD HAVE A LONG AND THOROUGH DISCUSSION WITH YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT SENSITIVITY AND SPECIFICITY OF THIS test BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT GETTING IT DONE. PLEASE BE THOUGHTFUL AND SKEPTICAL ABOUT IT.

ALSO

Please take a few minutes to read this about cholesterol and statin drugs:
    Do Cholesterol Drugs Do Any Good?

Now, take a few more minutes and look up the side effects of testosterone supplements. Strokes and heart attacks are the most important....

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE BE CAREFUL ABOUT THESE MEDICATIONS AND ASK SOMEONE KNOWLEDGEABLE AND NEUTRAL ABOUT THEM BEFORE COMMITTING TO TAKE THIS STUFF.
    Rock and Glock and Hopyard like this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    "the dreaded prostate exam."

ok, doc...just so i don't feel both your hands on my shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I wondered why my Doc had to probe even after my PSA.
    As long as you only feel one hand on your shoulder

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce21b View Post
    hey all,

had my annual a couple weeks ago......been feeling very tired, no energy and pretty much lost interest in doing anything except laying on the couch...
    Gees, Bruce, I'm 3 years older & have the same symptoms...I thought I was just lazy!! Seriously though, I started feeling like that over a year ago when I was on the unemployment line for the first time in 25 years. It got a bit better when I regained employment 6 months later, but haven't quite got back the desire to do some of the little neglected things - like update my checkbook!

I had a couple of health scares in the recent 6 months, in that I've been having issues with my arms (numbness, pain, w/onset of nausea - was thinking stroke!), but it turns out I've just started wearing-out my shoulder mechanics. I did get good news out of it, though. Cardiac stress test finds the ticker to be in decent shape!

I have heard ALOT of people talking about their vitamin D issues, so maybe I'll mention that & the testosterone next time I see a doc.

Thanks for sharing & good luck!
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

The medication I have been on for years seems to be working well. Eat lots of chocolate, a few beers every week, and blissful excursions with the Mrs at least 5 times a week will keep ya fit, and happy.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Go cut down a tree. Not too much more manly than that. Should get the T levels up lol

Wait til your 50 and you get the "SNIPER" doctor,Yep he uses a scope to try to spot enemy Cancerous things in your never regions, I think the scope has a 50mm objective lens
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm 53 and been feeling lazy for a while. I have a hard time getting the energy to mow the lawn! Been fairly grumpy too. Low sex drive and so on. I have to see the doc next week so I think I'll ask about testosterone levels. You guys are helping me to be able to discuss it with the doc. Thanks!
    Question Everything!

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Be thankful its not that contagious butt-cancer thats been goin around.

Your only 42, not to late to turn it all around.

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Poor testosterone levels could be a dangerous sign of a low level of shooting range visits. I suggest you increase your weekly intake to 4 - 5 days. Consult also your local gun shop physician for a fresh prescription of .45 Auto. This will definitely improve your testosterone level.

Ok, now being serious. First of all, I'm glad that nothing major was found during your physical and that despite a low level of testosterone and Vitamin D in your system, you are in great shape. Just take your medicine and supplements, do some more exercise, eat well and you will be around for a long time. God bless!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Maintaining high T levels should be of utmost importance. Lift heavy weights, cut back on alcohol, and get 6-8 hours of sleep. If you're still low, find a doctor who will prescribe artificial testosterone.

It's what makes the world go round.

Make sure your doctor has them run a thyroid panel on your blood work.

About a year after my radiation and chemo treatments for throat cancer I began to have less energy, was irritable and was not sleeping well.

After running test I was found to have a hypo-thyroid condition.

Now on synthroid and coming back slowly to my normal young 65 yoa.

Early detection makes all the difference.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links