Went and had my annual physical.......interesting results...........

This is a discussion on Went and had my annual physical.......interesting results........... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Oh yeah, [sarcasm]testosterone supplementation is the cure for everything.[/sarcasm] It has some VERY nasty side effects and the positive aspect of supplementation is sort of ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Went and had my annual physical.......interesting results...........

Oh yeah, [sarcasm]testosterone supplementation is the cure for everything.[/sarcasm]

It has some VERY nasty side effects and the positive aspect of supplementation is sort of underwhelming.

Check out
    ADVERSE EFFECTS ASSOCIATED WITH testOSTERONE ADMINISTRATION
    Basaria, S., et al, N Engl J Med 363(2):109, July 8, 2010

In this relatively small study of elderly men with low testosterone levels, limited mobility and a high prevalence of chronic disease, supplementation with transdermal testosterone was associated with an increased risk of adverse cardiovascular events

and

LOW SERUM testOSTERONE AND MORTALITY IN OLDER MEN
    Laughlin, G.A., et al, J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93(1):68, January 2008
    Progressively lower testosterone levels below the median were associated with a step-wise increase in the risk of death, but there was no survival benefit among men in the four highest testosterone deciles when compared with those having mid-range levels.

and

EFFECT OF testOSTERONE SUPPLEMENTATION ON FUNCTIONAL MOBILITY, COGNITION, AND OTHER PARAMETERS IN OLDER MEN
    Emmelot-Vonk, M.H., et al, JAMA 299(1):39, January 2, 2008
    Despite a favorable effect on lean body mass, testosterone supplementation for six months did not improve any patient-oriented outcomes, and may have adverse effects, in older men with a low-normal initial testosterone level.

and

testOSTERONE AND CARDIOVASCULAR RISK IN MEN: A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW AND META-ANALYSIS OF RANDOMIZED, PLACEBO-CONTROLLED TRIALS
    Haddad, R.M., et al, Mayo Clin Proc 82(1):29, January 2007
    Trial methodology was problematic in that the included studies had limited reporting of features that protect against the introduction of bias. The duration of follow-up exceeded one year in only four trials. testosterone supplementation appeared to have minimal effects on lipid profiles, blood pressure and glycemia in men with low, or low-normal to normal testosterone levels. In six very small trials the cardiovascular event rate (cardiovascular death, fatal and nonfatal MIs and other events) was 8.7% with testosterone supplementation (14/161) and 4.8% in controls (7/147) (odds ratio 1.82, 95% CI 0.78-4.23). Three trials involving men with coronary artery disease reported supposedly beneficial EKG changes with testosterone supplementation, of uncertain clinical significance

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    Oh yeah, [sarcasm]testosterone supplementation is the cure for everything.[/sarcasm]

It has some VERY nasty side effects and the positive aspect of supplementation is sort of underwhelming.

Check out
    ADVERSE EFFECTS ASSOCIATED WITH testOSTERONE ADMINISTRATION
    Basaria, S., et al, N Engl J Med 363(2):109, July 8, 2010

In this relatively small study of elderly men with low testosterone levels, limited mobility and a high prevalence of chronic disease, supplementation with transdermal testosterone was associated with an increased risk of adverse cardiovascular events

and

LOW SERUM testOSTERONE AND MORTALITY IN OLDER MEN
    Laughlin, G.A., et al, J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93(1):68, January 2008
    Progressively lower testosterone levels below the median were associated with a step-wise increase in the risk of death, but there was no survival benefit among men in the four highest testosterone deciles when compared with those having mid-range levels.

and

EFFECT OF testOSTERONE SUPPLEMENTATION ON FUNCTIONAL MOBILITY, COGNITION, AND OTHER PARAMETERS IN OLDER MEN
    Emmelot-Vonk, M.H., et al, JAMA 299(1):39, January 2, 2008
    Despite a favorable effect on lean body mass, testosterone supplementation for six months did not improve any patient-oriented outcomes, and may have adverse effects, in older men with a low-normal initial testosterone level.

and

testOSTERONE AND CARDIOVASCULAR RISK IN MEN: A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW AND META-ANALYSIS OF RANDOMIZED, PLACEBO-CONTROLLED TRIALS
    Haddad, R.M., et al, Mayo Clin Proc 82(1):29, January 2007
    Trial methodology was problematic in that the included studies had limited reporting of features that protect against the introduction of bias. The duration of follow-up exceeded one year in only four trials. testosterone supplementation appeared to have minimal effects on lipid profiles, blood pressure and glycemia in men with low, or low-normal to normal testosterone levels. In six very small trials the cardiovascular event rate (cardiovascular death, fatal and nonfatal MIs and other events) was 8.7% with testosterone supplementation (14/161) and 4.8% in controls (7/147) (odds ratio 1.82, 95% CI 0.78-4.23). Three trials involving men with coronary artery disease reported supposedly beneficial EKG changes with testosterone supplementation, of uncertain clinical significance
    I really appreciate the kind of information brought forth by the OP. Doctorbob, I understand your concern about Low T, but do you have a recommendation. To help with low T, Other than going on a prescribed treatment. Thanks.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Senior Moderator
    I hope you feel better soon!

I don't have to take testosterone (for obvious reasons) but I do take Vit D and try to get outside for at least 15 minutes a day for a little natural Sunny D.

A doctor friend of mine got me started on taking Vit D a few years ago and firmly believes that a shortage of Vit D in your average citizen is a reason for lots of sicknesses. I don't know how right he is about that but can't hurt to take a good dose of a multi-vitamin or two.

Again, I hope you feel better really soon.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    A word about statins (drugs that lower your cholesterol):

They discovered it from Red Rice Yeast. It is more expensive (not covered by insurance) but just as effective and you are taking a whole food with all the supporting nutrients instead of a manufactured drug that just extracts the key component. Get it from a trusted source.

The mechanism of stopping cholesterol production of statins is the same mechanism that produces CoQ-10, so if you take a statin, you MUST supplement your diet with CoQ-10.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    The medication I have been on for years seems to be working well. Eat lots of chocolate, a few beers every week, and blissful excursions with the Mrs at least 5 times a week will keep ya fit, and happy.
    Damn Glockman that sounds a lot better (and more fun) than choking down Vitamin D pills :)

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I really appreciate the kind of information brought forth by the OP. Doctorbob, I understand your concern about Low T, but do you have a recommendation. To help with low T, Other than going on a prescribed treatment. Thanks.
    The supplement business makes gobs of money for the businesses but there are precious few well conducted studies that show it makes much differnece. A few exceptions are vitamins B12, C (for scurvy), and maybe D for ricketts (the jury is still out on Vit D for other things - recent research has been negative but 'hype' abounds).

Supplementing testosterone has to be done parenterally (not by mouth) with shots or patches. Doing it in any fashion messes up the pituitary- testicle axis and throws off the natural production. I helped co-author an article years ago that showed the highest levels of T were present near the end of an 8 hour sleep period. There is some evidence that adequate restful sleep may be an important part of maintaining T levels.

In general, weight loss, exercise, an appropriate diet (e.g. mediteranean style, high fiber, low fat and low refined carbo, limited protein < 70 grams/day, and low or no alcohol), adequate sleep (8-9) hours a day, are your best bets. Yeah, it's hard to do but it is cheap, will make you feel lots better, improve your mood, and have general good effects with little or no side effects. In a pinch, very judicious use of a testosterone gel or patch might be prescribed for a short period of time to get you started on the life style changes. Keep in mind that the adverse effects of T supplementation are really serious and relatively common while the 'good' effects are uncommon and transient.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    A word about statins (drugs that lower your cholesterol):

They discovered it from Red Rice Yeast. It is more expensive (not covered by insurance) but just as effective and you are taking a whole food with all the supporting nutrients instead of a manufactured drug that just extracts the key component. Get it from a trusted source.

The mechanism of stopping cholesterol production of statins is the same mechanism that produces CoQ-10, so if you take a statin, you MUST supplement your diet with CoQ-10.
    I ask ALL my patients on statins or those that are thinking about statins to read this article and discuss it with me before I will start them or refill a statin Rx. Before you worry about your cholesterol, you need to click on the link and read this article and discuss it with your doctor (who may be in the thrall of Big Pharma with its cheer leader drug detail people...).

Do Cholesterol Drugs Do Any Good?

Think before you act...

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    The supplement business makes gobs of money for the businesses but there are precious few well conducted studies that show it makes much differnece. A few exceptions are vitamins B12, C (for scurvy), and maybe D for ricketts (the jury is still out on Vit D for other things - recent research has been negative but 'hype' abounds).

Supplementing testosterone has to be done parenterally (not by mouth) with shots or patches. Doing it in any fashion messes up the pituitary- testicle axis and throws off the natural production. I helped co-author an article years ago that showed the highest levels of T were present near the end of an 8 hour sleep period. There is some evidence that adequate restful sleep may be an important part of maintaining T levels.

In general, weight loss, exercise, an appropriate diet (e.g. mediteranean style, high fiber, low fat and low refined carbo, limited protein < 70 grams/day, and low or no alcohol), adequate sleep (8-9) hours a day, are your best bets. Yeah, it's hard to do but it is cheap, will make you feel lots better, improve your mood, and have general good effects with little or no side effects. In a pinch, very judicious use of a testosterone gel or patch might be prescribed for a short period of time to get you started on the life style changes. Keep in mind that the adverse effects of T supplementation are really serious and relatively common while the 'good' effects are uncommon and transient.
    Thank you, I will consult with my Doc and see what he says. While using the above as a reference.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

sounds like you need a good dose of "lets crank off a few hundred rounds of 5.56",just my thoughts,it usually helps me when i'm feeling down,and the voices want talk to me anymore.
    Piratus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "the dreaded prostate exam."
    I think they can check for prostrate Cancer with just a simple blood test these days. Just FYI.
    Two stories, if I may, about the prostate check in the keister. (1) I turned fourty last year and had my first one. I was really glad that I picked a female doc with thin lady-fingers. I recommend that in a physician.

(2) A week prior to that visit I wrecked on my bike and one of the handle bars slammed into my inner thigh about four inches south of my groin and left a nice dark purple hematoma. I mean, this was no bruise, it was about 5 inches across and shades of blue, red, purple, and a little green! At the physical exam, Nurse handed me the towel to cover my lap and instructed me to strip nekkid but for the privacy towel across my crotch.

Female doctor and nurse walk in and say hi.
    I'm seated on the table with only the little towel.
    Pointing to my upper, upper thigh I said, "Ladies I'm glad you're here, there's something I reeeeealy want to show you!" Then lifted the towel to reveal only my enormous hematoma.

They love me there....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links