Have you hugged your pets today.

This is a discussion on Have you hugged your pets today. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As I write this post this morning, I sit here with a heavy Heart. My wife and I said goodbye to a awesome little buddy ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

As I write this post this morning, I sit here with a heavy Heart. My wife and I said goodbye to a awesome little buddy this Sunday morning. I woke up this Sunday just like every other Sunday morning, but as I started down stairs I heard a faint meow... I stopped and heard it again. It was coming from downstair, so I went on down to see what Sylvester was into. Then I saw him laid out on the living room floor similar to the pic below, but something was wrong. He looked up at me and gave out another what sounded like painful meow. I woke my wife and we decided to get him to the vet asap. Being six am on Sunday the vets office was closed and it would be some time before we could get him to his vets office. All we could pretty much do is wait and try to make him comfortable, it was obvious he was on his way out, so I made him as comfortable as I could by placing him on a pillow from the guest room, and we sat with him through the painful process. He died a short time later and It was truly gut wrenching to listen and see him pass. Both my wife and myself sat there for the hour and talked to him and gently loved on him until he took his last breath and passed on.

Sylvester was a stray that we took in several years earlier and I must say, he was one of the best animals I have yet to care for. He had all his claws and yet he never once to um out on the sofa or other furniture. He didn't fight with our rattie "Winnie", or our other cat "Pugsley". Pugsley died a couple years earlier and that was a rough day too, but Sylvester went so fast that it has taken us by surprise. I really don't know why I feel compelled to post this other than the fact that misery loves company I guess, but I do want to say this to any fellow animal lovers here. Have you hugged your pets lately, if not, please do so, I'm living proof that they do bring happiness to our lives and they are missed tremendously once they're gone.

Here's a pic of my little buddy; I'm going to miss him trotting down the stairs everyday when I get home from work and asking for his treat for the day.

Last edited by gottabkiddin; July 17th, 2011 at 02:28 PM.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    We feel for you buddy. We had to put our oldest pointer, a rescue, down five weeks ago yesterday. We've also lost several others over the years and it does not get any easier as time goes by.

Remember the good times and may you find some solace in the following................

The Rainbow Bridge
    Last edited by GunnyBunny; July 17th, 2011 at 08:54 PM.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Sorry to hear about Sylvester, but he isnt suffering anymore and is in a better place. I am sure he was extremely thankful for you guys taking him in and it seemed like he loved you as much as you loved him.

Try to treasure the moments you had and not dwell on his departure.

BigJon

VIP Member
    Sorry for your loss. I have 4 cats, ranging in age from 13 years to 9 years. I know the day is going to come when their health starts to go. Not looking forward to it at all. I've put too many loved pets down in my years.I have fond memories of all of them.

As I sit here typing this my little Lissie is in my lap, and Maggie is laying on the floor beside me. Waiting for Lis to get down so she can have her turn.

They give their love unconditionally. The only thing they ask in return is food and water, a kind word and a pet.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

GM
    I am so sorry for your loss; you and your wife have my deepest sympathy.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'm sorry for your loss and understand your hurt. Remember the good times...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    I'm sorry GBK, and yes, my dog got his usual hug this morning. We enjoy the days we have.

Distinguished Member
    I'm sorry to hear about your little buddy Sylvester. It's never easy to lose a pet, they really are part of the family and it hurts for a long time.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    I am truly sorry for your loss.

_
    I urge anyone who lives with a loved companion animal to look into their local 24-hour emergency care veterinary clinics now. It may offer you a modicum of solace knowing where & when help is available.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I'm so sorry. But I'm sure your attention made his passing easier.

OD*
    Very sorry for your loss, my deepest sympathy to you both.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Very sorry for your loss.
    It's never easy when you lose one. But, at least, Sylvester listened to your voices and felt your touch...

I feel your pain also,we had to put two of our cats to rest,not at the same time.We both cried like like little kids,it hurts!!
    And, yes,I just got done hugging our new rescue persian cat just before i read this.
    Retired (traveling and loving it!)
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Thank you all for the kind words. My wife and I can't describe how much appreciated they are.

As stated above; yes they do become part of the family, and it's incredible how sad their passing can be.

Thanks again everyone. God bless.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

I'm very sorry for your loss. I have one dog I got from the shelter nine years ago and two stray cats that I found in my yard two years ago. I know one day we will part but when that happens I also know their memories will stay with me. If you are not familiar with the Rainbow Bridge do a search of it. I think it will bring you some comfort. Now, excuse me, I have a dog and two cats to go hug.
    "Let not your heart be troubled." John 14:1

USN Retired Vietnam/Desert Shield/Desert Storm

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links