Medical Update on DaveT

This is a discussion on Medical Update on DaveT within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; hang tough!! you are in our prayers!!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical Update on DaveT

hang tough!!

you are in our prayers!!

2. Remove Ads

Dave - thanks for the update.
    Hang in there!

In my thoughts and prayers,
    Eric
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

DC Founder
    Like everyone else said, Dave, hang in there! Cancer can be beat and we're all here rooting for ya....

Keep us updated.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Thanks everyone. We're two treatments into the second stage now and I'm so tired, I have a hard time sitting upright on the pot without falling asleep.... and yes, I do spend a lot of time there......

A very long day Tomorrow (Friday). Have to be up early for the hour and a half drive to Abilene, need to be there by 10:00 A.M. for the treatment, then drive from there another three hours to Lubbock for a meeting with the folks at the VA to explain why I have had to miss a couple of scheduled appointments lately, then another three hour drive home. Good thing I have lots of lomotil and the weekend to rest up !

See y'all back in here on Saturday.

Assistant Administrator
    Holy crap Dave - all this driving - tedious is not in it.

Travel safe tho eh - and report in when back. All best wishes. Your ''family'' wants to stay in touch
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good luck tomorrow Dave. Everyone here is rooting for you - update us on Saturday.

No traveling around West texas for me today, feeling very poorly this morning. Hopefully the meds will kick in and I can make my normal treatment time this afternoon. This kind of 'feeling bad' does not equate too well with riding for long periods of time in a car. Not too many bushes out in west texas to hide behind.....

Felt good early on when I woke up, then WHAM. Called and re-scheduled the VA appointment.

Had a long talk with the radiation oncologist today following treatment number 20. Topic of conversation was me being sicker the last 3 days than I ever have in my life, despite the two different nausea medicines they have already prescribed.

Doc called my pharmacy and prescribed a high dollar nausea medicine. A 20 day supply costs $1,600.00. My prescription insurance will only pay for 10 days worth, my deductible on that will be $60.00 and it should be at the pharmacy in Abilene by tomorrow.

I got to thinking about it on the way home today. After taking all those pills, I might finally be worth something !

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT
    I got to thinking about it on the way home today. After taking all those pills, I might finally be worth something !
    I'd say you would be worth quite a lot....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    A 20 day supply costs $1,600.00
    Hard to know what to say to that Dave Almost seems criminal.

I hope tho the nausea will improve - that is something that when persistent is enough to ruin every day big time. Totally miserable.
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    Dave, we are praying for you, especially that the nausea will subside. Glad you can joke about it.

I tell you what, if I wasn't nauseous when I got there I would have been when he prescribed a medicine that costs $1600 for 20 days.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Just an update:

Today was treatment number 24, only 16 more to go.

This week has been one of the worst in my life, just about non-stop nausea and the 'other' problem lower down keeps me pretty busy.....

New high dollar medicine works good, but for short periods of time only. Nausea is better for 4 to 5 hours after taking one, but everything comes rolling in like a tidal wave when the effects of the pill wear off. Oncologist is working with our prescription insurance to try and come up with more pills so I can take several a day, not just one.

Off for two days....... HALLELULAH !!!

Gun Show in Abilene this weekend, hope I feel good enough to make another trip down there. Don't really need anything, but would like to look around.
    Stopped by a gun dealer in Abilene today before we came home, had a chance to get a good look at a Sig P229. That is one BIG gun !! I have larger than normal hands and had a hard time getting my hand around the factory plastic grips. It is much wider than my Glocks, kinda surprised me.

Assistant Administrator
    Hope you can feel fit enough for the show Dave - almost for sure do you good.

So - 0.6 of the way thru - geez - talk about needing fortitude. Long haul indeed and i can but imagine how darned miserable you must feel. Heck, I feel rough with just an hour or two of nausia.

Hang in there fella - and thx for the update - keep em coming as we are with you on this all the way.
    Chris - P95

Hang in there Dave! You'll make it through. Hope they get you covered for more than one a day. Be good for you if you can make the show! We're praying for you on this end.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Wow, the radiation and chemo did the same to my uncle.

Hang in there, I'm reading the threads in here (thanks for the new forum, it makes it easier to keep up with everything) and I may not be there in person but I am there in spirit.

Wayne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links