Medical Update on DaveT

Medical Update on DaveT

This is a discussion on Medical Update on DaveT within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Since several have PM'd with toughts of encouragement, thought I would post an update since we finished the first part of radiation for the Hodgkins ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Medical Update on DaveT

Since several have PM'd with toughts of encouragement, thought I would post an update since we finished the first part of radiation for the Hodgkins Lymphoma cancer yesterday.

Yesterday was treatment number 17, the last of the first series to specifically target the areas where cancerous lymph nodes were found in all the earlier testing. Side effects have been increasing, pretty rough lately with a lot of nausea, diarrhea, hair loss and being very tired with no energy all the time.

Today (Thursday) they will re-mark me and begin the next series of radiation that will cover everything from the pelvic area up to the diaphragm. That will be another 17 treatments to insure that any cancer cells that might have escaped the bad lymph nodes are taken care of. Side effects are supposed to become much worse, especially the nausea and energy problems.

After the next set of 17, there will be 6 treatments left to once again target the bad lymph nodes, just like we have been doing the last three and a half weeks. Then I should be done for a month before I have to go back for another full body radioactive PET scan to see if everything was taken care of. If it was, I am home free for three months before the next scheduled checkup. However, if any cancerous cells are found during that PET scan, I'll have to start chemotherapy.

Ongoing prayers and positive thoughts from y'all are appreciated. Even though the first stage is finished, there is still a long way to go. Next Monday, at treatment number 20, we will be half way through.

We did find out that the Lymphoma Foundation has a $500 grant available to help pay for travel expenses. We are in the process of filing for it, doctor is filling out the paperwork. That will really help as the 150 mile daily round trips are averaging about $50.00 every three trips for gas.... and that's at the gas prices today, sure hope they don't go up much more.

That's all from here.... now back to your regular scheduled forum activities.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Dave,

Thanks for the update.....
    Glad to hear you've progressed well so far. I'm sure it's very stressful both mentally and physically and we are praying and believing for a full recovery.
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Our prayers are with you Dave. Both for the treatment and for the funds. I know that end all to well. Hang in there and know are with you! Have a few friends who've been through this and have remained cancer free so know there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Dave, my prayers and thoughts are with you.

VIP Member
    Hang in there, Dave

Rough going now, but it'll have been worth it when you've finished.

note: I've relocated this thread to "Bob Ford's Place".
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Prayers have gone up. God bless!

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    Thanks for the update Dave, Im still praying for you.
    Fear No Evil.

Lead Moderator
    Hang in there, we are all pulling for ya, you can beat it!
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Stay strong, and keep your head up. Were all here for you and ready to listen.

Assistant Administrator
    Dave - thx for the update - and it is obvious just how much of a toll this is taking on you. I can but imagine the strain. It seems not just a battle but also all out war.

Be assured you have many friends here rooting for you and thinking good things your way. Stay in touch on this as it goes on further.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    My prayers are with you!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Lead Moderator
    Hang in there, this stuff can be beaten!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Sorry to hear about your illness. I'm glad things are progressing. Hang in there.

Thanks for the update Dave

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Dave let me first off say hang in there . I opened this thread 4 times today and once i saw the post box all the words left me . Tho i have never delt with lymphoma the big C is all too familiar to me , its like a dammed liberal , when you think its starting to make sense it relapses lol . There is a light at the end of the treatment tunnel tho , and now days its usualy not a train . Hang in there , get naps as you need , eat as you feel you dont but everyone else wants you to . , in short my friend get well . The world cannot afford to loose even one like you , and your job is not yet done here .

Bob
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links