My Dad Passed Away Yesterday Morning.

This is a discussion on My Dad Passed Away Yesterday Morning. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A few months after his 91st birthday and a few weeks shy of his and my mother's 65th wedding anniversary. My mind is mush right ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: My Dad Passed Away Yesterday Morning.

VIP Member

Unhappy My Dad Passed Away Yesterday Morning.

A few months after his 91st birthday and a few weeks shy of his and my mother's 65th wedding anniversary.

My mind is mush right now. I have thoughts coming from the heart and others coming from the head.

My head thoughts say he was 91 and had led a great life. Born in England, joined the British Army at 14 as a trumpeter and was on active duty at the age of 15 on the border between Afghanistan and what is now Pakistan. He was dispatched to France at the beginning of WWII and served there until the Dunkirk evacuation. He was a sergeant by the age of 19. He served with the Royal Horse Artillery (very elite in the British Army) and attained the rank of Captain by his 21st birthday. He served as a forward observation officer in combat with the Japanese Empire in Burma and was awarded the Military Cross (think one notch below your Medal of Honour) for bravery in combat on the battle field. They were very poorly equipped and averaged only one rifle for every 10 men with only 5 rounds per rifle. He was in command of a regiment of Gurkhas, a group of warriors he had nothing but the highest respect for. After serving in India, France, Belgium, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Burma, Germany, and England, he left the army in 1946 when he married my mother. They emigrated to Canada in 1951 where he became a hospital administrator and consultant. For anyone interested he even wrote a book about his experiences that can be viewed here Amazon.com: Pick Up Your Parrots and Monkeys...: The Life of a Boy Soldier in India - A Brilliant Memoir of the Last Days of the Raj (Cassell Military Trade Books) (9780304365647): William Pennington: Books. He had several battles with cancer over the years including one about 15 years ago that I still remember vividly. His Dr. looked him in the eye and said "You will be dead within 6 months". She was wrong, and we were blessed with the extra time together.

The thoughts from my heart? My Dad's gone. He took me fishing, camping and helped me through scouts. He mentored me and made sure I persevered and succeeded in life. And now he's gone. I walked into the hospital room yesterday morning to see the shell of a once great man. Now weighing maybe 90 pounds, ashen, with lifeless eyes staring out the window. I always thought the nurses would close them once he was gone.

Thanks for letting me post this here.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quite an interesting story. Thanks for sharing some of it during one of the hardest days of your life. Best thoughts to you and yours.

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like a great life.

Very sorry for your loss Gunny. And my deepest condolences go to you and your family. I pray for his soul and may the Lord comfort your family.

Your father lived though some interesting times and I have no doubt he is now having a grand old time being reunited with many of his comrades of yesteryear. May he rest in peace.

And may you find peace and joy in the many great memories that a man of your father's caliber leaves behind with his loving family.

Peace be with you and God Bless.
    oneshot and surefire7 like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    He was a sergeant by the age of 19. He served with the Royal Horse Artillery (very elite in the British Army) and attained the rank of Captain by his 21st birthday. He served as a forward observation officer in combat with the Japanese Empire in Burma and was awarded the Military Cross (think one notch below your Medal of Honour) for bravery in combat on the battle field. They were very poorly equipped and averaged only one rifle for every 10 men with only 5 rounds per rifle. He was in command of a regiment of Gurkhas, a group of warriors he had nothing but the highest respect for. After serving in India, France, Belgium, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Burma, Germany, and England, he left the army in 1946 when he married my mother.....
    Thanks for letting me post this here.
    Your dad was a grizzled vet by the time he became of age.

A regiment of Gurkhas can compensate for a few rifles with low ammunition. They are amazing.

Condolences on your loss.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Senior Moderator
    Sorry to here it GunnyBunny. My condolences.
    Thanks for the writeup.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about your loss, you and your family are in my prayers. When his story is told along with others from his generation it is not difficult to see why they have been called "The Greatest Generation". If you need to talk please do, there are many here who are willing to listen. Take care.

Sorry for your loss.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Sorry for your loss. Prayers sent.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Sorry for your loss. Prayers sent.
    SCGunLover1

Gone but never forgotten,He will live on in your memories,my Dad passed at 70,hardest day of my life,he was here as long as he needed to be to teach us the life skills we would need and to pass on to our children
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'm sorry for you and your family's loss. He sounds like he had a great life and made a tremendous impact while he was in this world. God bless to you and your and I hope the Lord provides His comfort to help you through this difficult time.

Losing a dad is a sudden realization that a generation is passing...i understand your loss.
    Condolences to you and yours...

ret
    Bark'n likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Sorry for your loss. He lives on within the hearts of all who knew him. Thanks for the story.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Your dad was a rare warrior; may he rest in peace.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links