Live every day like it could be your last

This is a discussion on Live every day like it could be your last within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I attend 12 step meetings regularly,been clean for over 20 years now,Last night we were sitting outside bs'ing before the meeting.There was a guy I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Live every day like it could be your last

Live every day like it could be your last

I attend 12 step meetings regularly,been clean for over 20 years now,Last night we were sitting outside bs'ing before the meeting.There was a guy I have known for about 2 years that was there,he had his nursing license suspended and had recently been reinstated a couple of weeks ago.
    Suddenly without any indication of distress/warning he fell face first from a sitting position on the ground,checked for pulse/respiration and none detected,started CPR and about 10 min later ambulance shows up and takes over,they worked on him for about 20 minutes and he never responded.
    The only good thing I can think of from this is the fact Casey didn't die alone,I'm guessing due to the way he went it was probably a brain aneurism that ruptured.
    Sometimes we forget just how fast things can change within a few seconds.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

Reminds me of how my Dad went. He was raking leaves and enjoying apparent good health on a sunny November day. He sat down on his porch to rest a minute, leaned back in his chair and called it a day. We're none of us guaranteed another second on this earth.

You just never know what's in store when you get up in the morning.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Yes, I do think about such things from time to time. Especially after watching Steve Jobs' speech 'How to live before you die'.

I'm the last in my direct family. Brother died at 33, father at 79 and mother at 77. Coronary runs on my father's side but he smoked for a good portion of his life. Mom was a chain smoker so that got her. My brother dropped from a freak heart attack from another illness. I never smoked aside from second-hand exposure in bars and I've lived a cleaner life than some. Still, you never know and I feel I’m already on borrowed time. Every time I hear a sales person say 'lifetime warranty' or 30-year mattress warranty I cringe.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Thank you for this story. Also, congratulations for being clean and sober for over 20 years!

It is usually later than you think.

VIP Member
    We had a Young 23 year old come off His motorcycle last Sunday and He did not make it. He was a good Kid with a great smile and always up beat. He went before His time. Not a good way to see a Mother. Be safe out there.

20 years keep up the good work.

VIP Member
    You are right in that each minute is a gift, but sometimes its hard in this day and age to reflect on it that much..

My Grandpa Died the same way when I was 8 or 9. He was coming out of a restaurant in St Helen with my Grandma, her sister and her husband, and he just went down like a sack of potatoes.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Very good and sobering post. It is one that will not be taken lightly.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    Wish I had a nickel for every family member that has said this exact same thing.

Thank you for posting this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

Lately, I have had some relatives, friends, and acquaintances pass on...it's always a rude awakening as to how fragile life can be.
    When one gets older, bones squeak and muscles ache and we know that life is starting to approach the end.
    I've already had some close calls...but I have grown to appreciate the life I do have much more.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about the loss of a friend.

I learned the uncertainty of life going on 14 years ago now. It hit me when I got the call that my 24 year old son had been killed in a car accident. It changed my life forever. I no longer take anything for granted. I live my life to the fullest and enjoy each minute, knowing it could be my last.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

My parents are still here they are getting older mid 70's.

My Dad has said for years to live life like every day is your last .

They are in good health and active.

Its been a rough year for me , loosing my job and heath issuses .

But in last few months I see the light and I try not to beat myself up as much with worrie.

I know they are many folks way whorse than me .

My cousin- a tremendous gentle soul who loved his wife, kids, friends, and our planet with all his being- dropped while jogging. He had no indications of any health issues. He was a month from 40. His kids were almost 2 and 3. This world lost one of it's best that day. Tears are coming out as I write this.
    I have a tattoo to commemorate his passing and the lesson I took from it.
    "this too shall pass"
    When I need an attitude adjustment, it helps me remember- I don't have forever. This is my life, whether I'm enjoying it or not. We don't have forever. Everything passes, including ourselves.
    It's a beautiful day. I'm gonna go live it.
    Skillet Hot!

How do you live every day like it is your last? I understand the concept of trying to do your best and living honorably, but what does the saying really mean?

If you knew the end was actually coming, would you spend it at work or running errands? Probably not.

I guess I should just move to Rio and party it up for the rest of my life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links