Update on our Son- Arachnoid cyst

This is a discussion on Update on our Son- Arachnoid cyst within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It has been a while since I posted an update. After much more testing, which Scotty has endured MUCH, MUCH better at 9 years old ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Update on our Son- Arachnoid cyst

Update on our Son- Arachnoid cyst

It has been a while since I posted an update.

After much more testing, which Scotty has endured MUCH, MUCH better at 9 years old than I at 43 would have, it has been determined that the cyst is in fact the cause of the headaches he suffers from. Further, it has been determined through observation that the likely mechanism is an in ability of the cerebro-spinal fluid to drain from the cyst into the spine when he is lying down. In the morning he will often have a pretty bad headache that will subside within 30 minutes of his getting out of bed and moving around while getting ready for school.

With this new observation, his Doctor put him on a medication that lessens his body's production of cerebro-spinal fluid. And now that he has been on this medication for 3 weeks, his headaches have stopped almost completely. He has had one, and only one in that three week period and it was a 2 on the 1 to 10 pain measurement scale. It lasted less than 5 minutes after his waking up.

He is doing very well these days and the outlook is good. Because that the cause of the pain has almost completely been determined to be the cyst, this actually makes the possibility of surgery more likely as there is a good chance that with the mechanics of what is causing the pain being understood, the likelihood of being able to correct it permanently with surgery is high.

For right now, the medication is doing a good job of keeping the pain away. We have another visit with the Doc in November and an MRI scheduled to see how things are going inside his head with the cyst. I will have more info then and will update again.

Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes everyone. They have not been forgotten and they are appreciated more than I could ever even begin to tell you.

By the way, if anyone would like a quick look at him and his fraternal twin brother Brandon, they appeared in a promo for the TV station i work at in Indianapolis. Brandon is the kid who gets struck by lightning and Scotty is the punch line of the whole promo, the sunburned kid in the hammock-

,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the update, Mike.

Prayers will continue for your son and your family on this end.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Mike,

Sounds like very positive news! And no pain is the best.

Glad for Scotty and his folks!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Fantastic news!!!!!!!!!!!!

OD*
    Excellent news indeed.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrator
    Good news, I'm very glad to hear things are looking better. I always hate to hear about a kid in pain.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Prayers will continue that he is healed completely. By the way, how's the job, getting any better?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The job is the same. But I may have the chance to get out of TV altogether in the next 6 months. Looking into it and hoping for the best.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Good luck Mike,and hope that your son continues to show progress until one day they can safely remove the cyst
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Best wishes for a quick and effective recovery...glad things are figured out...still on the DC list.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Mike,

I'm really happy to hear his headache's are going away. He will be in my thoughts.

VIP Member
    'Glad to hear it, Mike. I really enjoyed the video too.

Excellent news. Glad things are starting to turn around.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Good news

That is MUCH better news!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links