I'm moving to Florida

This is a discussion on I'm moving to Florida within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I never thought this hillbilly would leave the mountains of Virginia, but I start a new job just north of Clearwater December 1st. I hate ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm moving to Florida

I'm moving to Florida

I never thought this hillbilly would leave the mountains of Virginia, but I start a new job just north of Clearwater December 1st. I hate the thought of moving, but you gotta do what you think is best for your family's future. I've been researching the laws on handgunlaw, and I'll maintain a residence in VA for a while and live in temp housing there. They reciprocate with VA, so that'll get my through there until I establish residence there. Seems like Florida's process is pretty quick. No OC in FL, and I imagine no shooting groundhogs on the golf course like I do here in the country...but there are some shooting ranges and clubs in the area. At least I get to play golf in the winter!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Ugg!

Edit: I mean "Welcome!!"

I'm not sure if they sell chewing tobacco down here?

I won't be far from Tampa...you say ugg like it's a bad thing. I hope its not that bad.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

It's a beautiful area just north of Clearwater. Lived in the area just south of there a while back. Wave hi for me when ya pass the CG air station, I helped open it.

Don't worry about shooting groundhogs, they have roaches they politely call water bugs that would make a groundhog cower. They make excellent targets especially the flying ones.

There's tons of stuff to do and some really beautiful day trips to be had from there. Don't forget to drive over the skyway bridge in south St.Pete.

Travel safe and best of luck!

Fishing is outstanding in Florida! Also, if you have to move, why not move to a State that has some very good gun laws!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Congratulations on the new job!

Moving is a serious pain, but, as you say, you do what is best for your family.

Good luck down there!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Welcome to sunny Florida! I just moved to Orlando recently from Knoxville, TN. There isn't a day goes by where I don't miss the mountains but Florida is definitely not a bad place to live.

I would go ahead and start working on your Florida permit, mine took exactly 1 month to receive but the process was pretty easy.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    Welcome to sunny Florida! I just moved to Orlando recently from Knoxville, TN. There isn't a day goes by where I don't miss the mountains but Florida is definitely not a bad place to live.

I would go ahead and start working on your Florida permit, mine took exactly 1 month to receive but the process was pretty easy.
    After you take your Concealed Weapons Course, Find the Branch Office of the FL Dept of Ag that issues the permits nearest to you. You can do everything on line there including your finge prints. I did this and my permit arrived in the mail within a week...

VIP Member
    I've been considering Florida as well. Though I'm not keen on the high humidity and bugs the size of rats, at least the coastal beach life is great!
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I won't be far from Tampa...you say ugg like it's a bad thing. I hope its not that bad.
    The only thing thats bad is the heat and humidity in the summer! Most everyone here is from someplace else so "culture shock" is not a worry.

If you like baseball, the Phillies have their spring training at Brighthouse Field in Clearwater. They usually arrive in March. The BlueJays have spring training in Dunedin about the same time. Tropicana Field in St. Pete is air conditioned while watching the Rays.

Bugs arn't really a problem in my experience. You will get your occasional palmetto bug. We have two seasons of "lovebugs" that usually last about a week or so.

Spring break usually starts in March. If I were you, save yourself some aggravation and stay away from the beaches until after Easter.

You will like it here and never want to leave

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
    The only thing thats bad is the heat and humidity in the summer! Most everyone here is from someplace else so "culture shock" is not a worry.

If you like baseball, the Phillies have their spring training at Brighthouse Field in Clearwater. They usually arrive in March. The BlueJays have spring training in Dunedin about the same time. Tropicana Field in St. Pete is air conditioned while watching the Rays.

Bugs arn't really a problem in my experience. You will get your occasional palmetto bug. We have two seasons of "lovebugs" that usually last about a week or so.

Spring break usually starts in March. If I were you, save yourself some aggravation and stay away from the beaches until after Easter.

First, I forgot about the lovebugs, they seem to have decreased in numbers a bunch so their not as big an issue. Just DON'T forget to wash them off EVERY DAY otherwise the acid will ruin auto paint.

I have to disagree with your last statement
    After being a natural born Floridian and over 25 years on my last residency there I can say you most definitely WILL consider leaving. There are places that offer more of what life is all about.

Welcome A Board

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I've been considering Florida as well. Though I'm not keen on the high humidity and bugs the size of rats, at least the coastal beach life is great!
    Indeed life long for me .

Dont buy into big bug myth

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    Indeed life long for me .

Dont buy into big bug myth
    Yeah, those palmetto bugs are not very big at all. You barely notice them if they land on you. Oh, that's right, forgot to mention they fly.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Yeah, those palmetto bugs are not very big at all. You barely notice them if they land on you. Oh, that's right, forgot to mention they fly.
    You may have sketters that big

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links