A danger to himself ?

A danger to himself ?

This is a discussion on A danger to himself ? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I need advice on this please. A good friend joined the ranks (with me) this week in the unemployed line. ( I have been out ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By gunsnroses

Thread: A danger to himself ?

A danger to himself ?

I need advice on this please.

A good friend joined the ranks (with me) this week in the unemployed line.
    ( I have been out since July 4th this year )

I spend my days Monday through Saturday looking and applying for work. ( mostly on line ).

We are both about same age. ( 50 ) He is a few months younger .

We both have been employed in same industry ( retail service management).

My Friend was out of work last year for about a year so he has been down this road before.

Here is the thing, I as long as last year check and call him daily ( sometimes more )

He owns a 9mm I know for sure. He is not a big gun guy and he does not carry or really want to. That's his choice.

He is one of only a few next to my family that know I carry.

He has stated last year a few times and this time as well about doing himself in.

He is a family man his & wife works.

He is very active in his church. He is Catholic.

His problem with being out of work this time is worse being he won't get unemployment.

I have told him each time to not talk that way and I try to stay positive with him.

I am wondering If I should ask him to let me keep his firearm safe for him for awhile.

I am no counselor so thoughts please.

Thanks

It wouldn't hurt to ask, he probably won't let you have it. If you let him know that you are concerned about him, it might make him feel a little better. At least try to let him know that things will work themselves out in due time, not to go doing anything stupid like a "forever solution to a temporary problem". Also that his family needs him with them.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Moderator
    As stated, you can always ask.

I'm no therapist either but I have been severely depressed before and I found what got me through (and what seems to get many people through) is finding something to appreciate and be thankful for again. It certainly can't hurt for him to know that you care.

If he's a reader it might be beneficial to get him a book like "365 Thank Yous."

That being said a lot of people who TALK about suicide are not serious about it. It doesn't mean their threats should go unheeded but it's generally a call for help. Offer the help.

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    I'm not a counselor either and anything I say may be taken out of context and used against me later. Good luck!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

mkh
    Since he is out of work he may need money so offer to buy the gun from him. That gets the gun away from him without being confrontational.

Please have him check out AFSP: Understanding and Preventing Suicide Through Research, Education and Advocacy My wifes cousin and also her best friend both commited suicide. It is a perment solution to a temporary problem. I walked on the 16th to help raise money for the cause. The Long Island chapter raised over $150,000 and was attended by 1,700 people.

I have a little bit of life experience in this.

Please tread lightly!

I hate to see you carry around any guilt concerning something that you really couldn't do anything about....even though you tried.

If he is really serious about "doing himself in," securing his firearm wont stop him.
    Hopyard and gottabkiddin like this.

Ask him if he'll invite you to his church. Then go another day and have a word with his priest, let him know that you're concerned about your friend. He may be able to help.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    It wouldn't hurt to ask, he probably won't let you have it. If you let him know that you are concerned about him, it might make him feel a little better. At least try to let him know that things will work themselves out in due time, not to go doing anything stupid like a "forever solution to a temporary problem". Also that his family needs him with them.
    There is nothing wrong with telling a good friend that you care about him and are concerned for his wellbeing. I had to do this once and consider it worth all the effort put into it.
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

Thanks to all for the help

Sponsored Links