Sad day for newest neighbor ....

This is a discussion on Sad day for newest neighbor .... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I left the house to go pick up the kids from school, I smelled a hint of smoke in air. But it was nothing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Sad day for newest neighbor ....

When I left the house to go pick up the kids from school, I smelled a hint of smoke in air. But it was nothing untypical of someone who had burned something in a fireplace, or burnt something in their yard, which is not uncommon around here this time of year.

I got back about 20 minutes later, and the smell of smoke was super strong, but I could not see anything and could not tell where it was coming from, so I started to walk around my house and checking the different directions to see if I saw anything. Whereupon, I saw my newer neighbor... and she said , "their house is on fire" .... a brand new neighbor we didn't really know yet who had moved in within the last 1 1/2 months. The house (2 houses down from me) had been completely redone inside, and sold to them about that time.

As I went around and the house was in view, billowing smoke was coming out of the front and back of the house from the eaves of the house. LOTS of smoke... just rolling out. She had called the fire dept, which is 5 minutes away. In the meantime, we realize their son's bicycle is laying there.... that we've seen him ride home from school. Oh hell, is he inside. The man working on the neigbors house suddenly busted the door in and goes inside to check for him, and comes out and says there appears to be no one home. As soon as the door was forced open.... big billows of smoke came out of the house.

Police arrive about that time. Then 1 fire truck arrives, then they call in and ask for more help, as this thing is growing and spreading very rapidly in the last 5-10 minutes now. They send 3 more trucks, who are there within 5 minutes. Ironically, they just opened this fire station this summer, and the nearest one was some miles away before that.

As we are standing there 25 ft from the house, noticing the 'now' blackened window of a bedroom and smoke starting to come out of the seams around the window (that moments earlier appeared normal) ..... BOOOOOM .... it blows out and we have glass and all types of things flying thru the air at us. We retreat 30 ft further in a flash trying to avoid the big mass of small glass pieces and debris coming at us. We no more say "that was close" , and BOOOOOM, a bigger explosion and more stuff is coming out even further out this window and we quickly have to retreat even further.

Firemen, are fighting the fire inside. I think when they hit it with water, being a hot surface, it all blew. What we do see inside this house now, is all black. The new owner drives up with the boy inside of her car (whew , thank God), and yells out ..... "did they get the dog out of the house". Dog ?
    I don't know them and knew of no dog. The firemen quickly are checking for a dog, and soon carrying out an animal in their hands.... which ends up being a cat.

Apparently, the dog was locked in a crate in the bedroom where the fire started. It broke out of the crate (little dog) and hid under the bed, only to succumb to the smoke, heat, etc. Strange thing was, it was right near the window we were outside of.... we had not heard any dog bark, or we would have gone in after it, and when the guy went in he said he never saw a dog. So, I surmise, when I smelled that smoke to go get the kids, the fire was already burning inside, and by the time we were back ... realized what was going on... the dog was already gone.

Here's the house still burning, smoke starting to slow down, and their main concern... was their dog. It would be mine as well. We do appreciate and love our dogs. The cat got oxygen and survived the ordeal, as it was not in the same room as the dog.

I patted the boy on the back and talked with him... and told him how concerned we were that he was in there, and we were really happy he wasn't. I told him, "you can't imagine how glad we were to see you, and that you weren't in there".

So, the inside of their house is toast. It appears the roof structure and ceilings in that section of the house was probably on fire as well.

The boy (13-14 yrs old) told me.... "this morning I finished my laundry and layed all of my clothes out on my bed" . His "room" was the one the dog was in, and we saw the window blast out of . Everything in that room, is gone. He lost his dog, and everything else... including his just washed clothes.... the owner, had been gone only 30-40 minutes to go pick him up.

This boy, has got to be a good 58 " chest, about 5'6-5'7" tall. He needs some "clothes"..... because in the morning, he has nothing to change into at all now. I told this boy, "hey, I know where we can go get you a few xtra sized clothes if you need them .... let me know when things settle a little bit today ".

One hell of a way to meet your new neigbors. Tragic that we did not know a dog was in there, or would have been able to do something sooner.

And, a reminder, how fast life can change things ...........

Gave my dogs some extra treats tonight. Sad sad day for these people.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Wow very sad day and an awful way to meet the neighbors. Glad everyone is safe although it is disheartening to lose a pet. We have these stickers on all doors and windows just in case.

Decal In Case of Emergency PLEASE Save Our Pets! - Gift Assorted
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

As a retired firefighter after 23 years of service who's seen countless hundreds of the same sad scenario, I've never become "used to" or hardened to the point that my heart doesn't pour out to those who've suddenly lost everything in this world but their lives (and sometimes, that as well).

Now is the time to really show them what a true "neighbor" and friend is all about because they suddenly have nothing. Even with insurance settlements that will come months (at best) from now after all the bureaucratic investigations and red tape are finalized, they will need all the emotional support and unselfish generosity that others are willing to share.

Take just a few moments to consider yourself and family in the same situation, then try your best to do what you would pray others would do for you under the same sad circumstances while rallying the rest of the neighborhood to do the same. In the long run, the little humanity and compassion they receive now will end up being far more valuable and cherished for the rest of their lives than everything that was lost.

Understood. We've always taken care of our neighbors around here and we are already on it full bore.
    mkh and thephanatik like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member
    Wow. That sure recalibrates my whine-o-meter.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Thank god nobody was trapped inside,I realise that nobody wants to lose an animal in a fire,but people have died going back into burning houses.Seems like Cold Temps bring a lot more house fires with people cranking heaters on after being off for the summer,and even using space heaters when It really gets nipply
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Understood. We've always taken care of our neighbors around here and we are already on it full bore.
    Great. That is the way it should be and these pepole really need help right now.

Prayers sent that they get their lives back on track as soon as possible. Boy needs a new puppy!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

OD*
    That's a shame.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    Wow. Any clue what caused it? Start of heating season? Like, maybe they didn't install the furnace and flue right when it was remodeled? It is important that they learn what caused it because in addition to their own homeowner's insurance, there may be some liability on the contractors who worked there--depending of course on the exact cause.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Prayers sent that they get their lives back on track as soon as possible. Boy needs a new puppy!
    As soon as possible when they get started catching up, maybe a trip to the animal shelter. I'm sure there would be a pup in need of a boy.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

source of fire : lamp / electrical -- faulty. (Probably made in China).

Yep, told the boy that when he feels ready and it's time, he only needs to pick out a dog and I'll cover it (with parents permission).

I can't imagine at any age, let alone at his age, losing everything he had ... in a flash. It will be extremely hard. Especially, when he lost his dog on top of it ... his mother said that he took care of the dog completely and it always stayed in his room.

I don't think I can describe the "panic" they showed and the look in their eyes, when they pulled up, seeing smoke rolling out of their house, with fire trucks sitting there, fireman going in and out of the house in a hurry, etc....

And the look on all of our faces when he & his mom said " Did they get the dog out ? " ..... over and over... panicky to find the dog.

The fireman outside quickly rushed in to find the dog. Then they came out and informed them the dog had died......

The boy seemed to almost turn limp.....

With exception of the dog, Everything that famiy lost can be replaced. What is important is that nobody was killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Yep, told the boy that when he feels ready and it's time, he only needs to pick out a dog and I'll cover it (with parents permission).
    Don't care what they say about you, you're all right
    BigFish, thephanatik and 357and40 like this.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Eagleks,
    You sir are a fine man and a gentlemen. Best of luck to them.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links