My back - Page 2

My back

This is a discussion on My back within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Update: Had MRI the other week, and saw neurosurgeon two days ago. Turns out that I have spinal stenosis, and 3 herniated disks. L3-4, 4-5, ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My back

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Update:

Had MRI the other week, and saw neurosurgeon two days ago. Turns out that I have spinal stenosis, and 3 herniated disks. L3-4, 4-5, and 5-6. 3-4 and 5-6 to a much lesser degree. Going to try steroid injections to try and fix it, but it's most likely going to be surgery.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

sgb
    I'm doing my third round of the steroid injections tomorrow for lumbar spinal stenosis, they help for a while. I've got more weight to loose but I've pretty much made up my mind to do the surgery, I've talked to three people who've had it done and they all say it improved their quality of life drastically. Living in constant pain sucks.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I'm doing my third round of the steroid injections tomorrow for lumbar spinal stenosis, they help for a while. I've got more weight to loose but I've pretty much made up my mind to do the surgery, I've talked to three people who've had it done and they all say it improved their quality of life drastically. Living in constant pain sucks.
    My wife had L4-5 fused about a year after we started dating, and she's been doing great. I just REALLY don't want to have to get surgery.

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Good luck with your issues with the back. My wife has spinal steno sis and at age of 72 with other medical issues she is not a good candidate for surgery. I hurt me see her going thru all that pain daily.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

Hopyard NAILED IT above ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Hopyard likes this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    I'm 23. I HAVE pulled muscles and tendons, and muscles and ligaments, and I have the same problem as my grandfather where my spine narrows a little too much as it gets lower. I work in an automotive shop (Pep Boys), and the pain wasn't brought on by my job, but it is made worse.

My wife (she was still my girlfriend at the time) had L4-L5 fused, and hasn't had any problems since. In the past year I have lost at least 40 pounds, and the pain has only gotten worse.

I had my L 4 & 5 fused after he eliminated a herniated disk there.

I am about 50-60% better, but still in pain.

Good luck with it.

Back pain sucks.
    Chiropractic helps.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

I also have had lumbar surgery. I am fused from L4 to my sacrum. Surgery is not always the answer, and leg pain is not always caused by low back problems. Have the MRI to see what is going on with the low back. Do not overlook what is called "peripheral artery disease". This will cause terrible leg pain, I know I have it, and in time if you do what I did, blamed my low back fusions, you will not be able to cross the street without stopping. Good luck, remembers they have made great strides in low back surgery and sometimes a surgeon can replace a bad disc with a stainless one. Get a good ortho to check you out, one who specializes in back problems. Avoid surgery if possible.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready" TR

Like Lima I went to a chiropractor for a long while working on my back issues, lower and upper/neck, and a misaligned hip from a motorcycle accident. That helped a lot initially, however, the stretches the doc had me doing are really what did the trick. And later I learned that many of the stretches I was doing were similar to yoga.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

My mother suffered for 2 years with back pain then leg pain. She went to chiro and he was going to take care of her. After more than a year of sometimes daily office visits she gave in and saw an MD. He told her she needed a 3 level fusion in her lower back. She called me freaking out because he said one possible outcome was paralysis. I have been in the Ortho surgery world for 10 years but this was the first I heard of any of her problems. I sent her to a Doc recommended by friends in her area. After 15 minutes of exam and reviews or scans he asks "what did the other surgeon tell you?"..."You have two herniated disks, I will do a micro discectomy, which will take 30-45 minutes. You will walk out of the hospital 3 hours later and in 2 weeks you will be pain free." She had the surgery and true to his word she has been pain free for 4 years with almost no risk or recovery time. I guess the point is ask everyone you know if they know someone that has found a great Doc and no matter what get at least a second opinion before anyone cuts you. I see surgeons every day that repair, rebuild, relieve things that other lesser surgeons said could never be done. I am not disparaging or criticizing your Doc as I have no idea who he is and no knowledge of your situation beyond what you have posted, just making the general statement that there is always some difference in quality in any profession. After all the guy that just barely passed med school in Granada last in his class is still called Doctor.

Had my consultation with the surgeon today. And I don't see any way out of doing surgery.

I have three disks that are causing problems. L3-4 is a minimal problem. L4-5 is completely shot, and L5-S1 isn't far behind. The doctor showed me the MRI (finally), and even I- who have no real medical background- can see that my back is pretty screwed up. I saw where doing something like shaving the disks would only lead to a bigger problem down the road.

So, surgery it is- fusing all three levels- and hoping that all goes smoothly. I go in May 9th, and I'll be out of work, and out of commission for at least 90 days after that. Doctor said at the three week mark, I start physical therapy, and at three months, I might be recovered enough to go back part-time. But, I'm not banking on that. Not yet, anyway.

Just thought I would give an update for anyone who cares, and also lets me vent a little. I HAVE gone through three rounds of steroid injections and physical therapy, and they didn't do much for me. I really don't see how my doctor thought it would- after I saw my MRI, I don't know WHAT had them thinking that injections and PT would help. But, they definitely didn't.

RM, good luck and God bless! I have had enough back pain ro really sympathize. Hang in there.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links