Here is a story for you...that happened last night

This is a discussion on Here is a story for you...that happened last night within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Last night around 10:30 right at shift change, two officers from the dept that I work with were in the office discussing life. One had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Here is a story for you...that happened last night

Senior Moderator

Last night around 10:30 right at shift change, two officers from the dept that I work with were in the office discussing life. One had just come on shift and the other was about to go home. There wasnt much going on other than a horrendous thunderstorm,complete with high winds that broke a few trees with a few power outages due to branches falling on power lines.

It was raining hard enough that visibility was very limited,it was the kind of night that most sensible people stayed out of, about the only people on the roads were going to and from work.

While the Officers were in the office, a call for a stranded motorist came in and it was urgent. Apparently, a young man on his way home from work came home the usual way and came into a curve where the road was below water. Since it had rained over two inches in a short time, the ditches and creeks were filling up very quickly. He hydroplaned, lost control of his small truck and came to a stop right in the middle of a small bridge crossing a small creek that is normally dry except when it rains. That small creek had become a raging torrent and the water flow slammed the small truck against the bridge. The young man, realizing that he was in serious trouble when he tried to open the door and couldn't because of the water pressure, grabbed his cell phone and dialed 911. He was stuck in his truck, which was barely on the bridge and the water was about to push him off of it into the raging creek.

The two responding officers could not reach the vehicle due to the flooded road, and the water was rapidly rising. They both realized that it was a true emergency situation, and with the fast water and in the complete dark with the rain coming down so hard that they could barely even see, one of them called the Fire Dept. in hope that the large truck would be able to at least get close enough that they could hook a cable to the truck or if nothing else, rescue the driver who was becoming very anxious.

All attempts failed. The water was moving too fast and the situation became perilous enough that the Swift Water Rescue Team was called in. This county has a team that rescues stranded canoers due to the several swift water rivers that run through the Ozark Forest that are very popular and with the abundance of lakes around here they actually see a lot of action. They also do body recoverys, usually doing several a year for various reasons.

After much work, rising waters and some pure luck, 3 hours later the young man was rescued by a diver that managed to loop a cable around a tree that was upriver and basically let the water take him to the driver. The cable was attached to a winch on one of the Fire Trucks and all was well. This afternoon, the water had receded enough to be able to recover the truck and it was taken to the young mans house.

But that is not all there is to the story. You see, unknown to most of the people that were there until the young man was actually recovered due to the dark and the rain and even though the young man called 911 and stated his name, that information was never revealed to anyone that used the radio that night.

What was really amazing to all was that when he made it far enough that he could walk out of the water to a waiting patrol car where one of the Deputys was waiting with a blanket to drape upon him as he was cold and wet, the Deputy placed the blanket around him and shined his flashlight so that he could see him and only then did he realize that it was his own son that he was attempting to save.

It was a touching moment to all that witnessed it. The Officer, cold,wet and and so tired that he could barely walk was somewhat relieved that the rain blended in with the tears that came streaming down.

This story was just told to me by one of the guys that was there and I must admit, I was touched. The Lord works is mysterious ways some times.

Just another chapter in the life of a small town.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Very touching story. I'm glad everything worked out well.

This is very well written. Perhaps you should take up writing novels if you aren't already doing so?

Wow... quite a story, one that should get handed down for a generation or two. Gives one pause to think.

Thanks for sharing, HG!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Happy everything turned out ok and everyone is alright. Fast water is nothing to mess with, or take chances with.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Wow. I read that I-40 got closed for awhile. That happened last May when we were headed East. Got detoured
    South to Stuttgart and DeWitt and who knows where. Roads were passable but barely. So I have slight idea of what it gets like back there. I think it took me 6 hours or more to get from LR to Memphis.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Moderator
    Fortunatley for the young man that was rescued, his Dad is a retired Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer that was very well versed in all kinds of rescue techniques. He pretty much spearheaded the operation. Had it not been for his efforts and experience in difficult matters, the outcome may not have been as favorable.

I dont believe that anything happens by accident.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Coast Guard and Navy Rescue Swimmers are definitely the tops when it comes to water rescues
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

We watched a similar situation once with a smaller car, and watched in disbelief as the car began to shake, then the water took off with the car down the creek. We rushed to a house and finally convinced them to call 911. They found the car about 1/4 mile down the creek, and the guy drowned.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Excellent outcome. Excellent post.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Awesome story and equally awesome ending...Thankfully the young man was okay. I can only imagine the emotional momment that the father experienced when he recognized his son, but I'm sure he'll never forget the event.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Great story.

I haven't read anything in Readers Digest in a long time, but it sounds like a story they'd used
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Unique story...glad it worked out the way it did (could have really been bad). Thanks for the post.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

OD*
    Excellent post indeed.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member
    A truely touching story. Just re-affirms my beliefs.

Great outcome. Its nice that the officer was giving it his all, even tho he had no idea it was his son...Good on him for doing a DAM good job.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links