Been gone for a while.

Been gone for a while.

This is a discussion on Been gone for a while. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've been tied up with some personal issues for a good while now and thought I'd take a minute to check in here - I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been gone for a while.

Been gone for a while.

I've been tied up with some personal issues for a good while now and thought I'd take a minute to check in here - I very much approve of this Bob Ford's Place Forum, it seems a fitting memorial to one of our own.

Where I've been: About three weeks ago I got a phone call from my best friend. His youngest son (age 16) was found unconscious and unresponsive at a "friend's" house. They Life Flighted him (helo evac)to the Nashville Trauma Hospital at Vanderbilt University where he's been in a deep coma in ICU since.

The docs ran several tests along the way and discovered that what we all thought was a great kid had marijuana, methadone, ecstacy and alcohol is his system. Apparently sometime during the night he vomited and aspirated which severely reduced his oxygen supply and caused massive brain damage, this coma is very likely permanent and irreversable - all due to the stupid, stupid act of a teenager. Detectives from the State Drug Task Force are currently investigating the circumstances surrounding the ordeal and, as I understand it, several subpeonas (sp?) have been issued. The lead detective is taking this very seriously and intends to get those involved off the streets so no other family has to go through this.

In the mean time I've been getting up early, trying to get a quick chore or two done around home and going to the hospital. I'm usually there from 8:00am to 10:00pm or later - my wife, God love her, has been stopping by the hospital after work each day to check on everyone. In the tradition of a "Sheepdog," I watch their belongings so they can both sit with their son or visit the Chapel. I've run off a good number of freeloaders and street people who've come in looking to take the provisions family and friends have brought them. We share what we have freely with the other families there but have no intention of supporting those who drift in from God knows where.

Being a University hospital, I've had to leave my gun in the car before going in - talk about feeling naked! I've spotted a drunken/stoned bum approaching cars at one particular intersection on the way home at night ... the 642 sure is comforting to have along.

It's been a trying ordeal for all of us and my friend has been more like a brother ever since high school. We've always been there for each other and his Mom's pretty much "adopted" me as a third son. Hopefully, their son will be moved to a rehab center soon (only to teach his parents how to care for him) and then we'll get him home so life can return to somewhat normal - my bud and his wife have spent every night sleeping in the waiting room and they need to get home soon.

Sorry for the long winded post but I appreciate the chance to vent a bit, it's one of those things you wouldn't wish on anyone.
    Jack

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Welcome Back...
    My stepdad is the lead FLightnurse for Vanderbilt... Your son's friend is in excellent hands there...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

VIP Member
    Welcome back. Sad to hear about such an ordeal. Keep up the support for your friend and brother, sounds like they will need it. God bless.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Sorry to hear this Jack.
    I think I will read your story to my son’s to show them the unbelievable pain and suffering that one stupid act like this can cause.
    I hope you are holding up well, it can’t be easy.
    Our prayers are with you and your friends family.
    James
    THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE IN THE WORLD IS BETWEEN A MOTHER AND HER CHILDREN.
    -Lady Liberty-
    United Stats Army,(Ret)

Thanks for the support all, very much appreciate it and hope to get back here shooting the breeze before too much longer.

Dimmak: Please give your Step-Dad our deepest thanks, we're all grateful beyond words. He and the others working with him kept my friends' son alive until the Trauma Team could step in. No doubt in my mind the boy would've died en route without their skill and intervention. God only knows what the future holds for this boy but I'd much rather hold this vigil than attend his funeral.
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Hi Jack - you had been missed - now I know why. Good to see you.

What a tragic tale and so so avoidable, as we all know. And yet these kids sometimes seem hell-bent on excesses with little thought for consequences - in particular consequences toward those who care for them.

It does not sound good at all - tho as ever hope springs eternal. I can see how you have had your time cut out with all this going on, and just hope pressures ease off for all soon - your bud and his wife need some serious recoup' time it seems.

Take care.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Good to have you back. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and the family as well as the young man.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Good to have you drop back in. Do remind, and keep reminding the family to care for thiemselves and eachother as well as him tho . Folks tend to " burn the candle at both ends during trials like this and can become another burden thro neglecting themselves and falling ill .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    I've watched some of my classmates go through stupid things - some survived and learned, others are still going downhill, and a couple died after sniffing glue and playing chicken with oncoming cars.

I hope your friend's son recovers swiftly and learns to never, ever touch those drugs again. Even good kids stumble. He'll need an army of support to help get him through, and seeing how you and your wife have stuck by him so far and he's not even related to you, I'd say he's in good hands.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    Welcome back. Sorry to hear the Son's prognosis isn't good.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Jack, been missing you. You are being a great friend to your buddy. Having someone you can depend on in a time like this is so valuable and encouraging. I will be praying for your friend and his family and for you as you serve them. Keep us informed as to how the situation goes.

If there is anything I can do, call on me.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    I'm sorry to hear of this tragedy. Prayers go up for everyone involved.

Administrator
    Welcome Back maclean3.
    Good lookin' out, you're a good man.

That's actually not very common for a kid that young (only 16) to be that loaded up on so many different substances all at once with no previous signs/indications of any drug use at all.

Maybe a first timer & the wrong group of "friends" pressured him into it. Very sad.

Welcome back!

The family and their son is in my thoughts & prayers.

Keep us informed.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

I knew I'd forgotten one of the drugs they'd found in the tox screen, he also had cocaine. I'm no angel and I did my share of partying when I was younger (usually with the kid's Mom and Dad) but we stuck mostly to beer and sometimes liquor - we were all deadly at "quarters." Most of what he took was considered "rich man's drugs," or wasn't even invented yet when we were kids.

I'm so old and uncool now the only thing I know about methadone, cocaine and "X" is that it's probably not the best idea to take them together or mix them with alcohol - call me a codger.

They moved the kid over to a rehab center today (the Stallworth Center at Vandy for those familiar with Nashville). The plan is a week or so there, mainly to teach his folks how to care for him, and then they'll take him home. Not sure how they'll manage things but it looks like round the clock care for the rest of his life. These are the times when I'm thankful I never had kids, I just don't know how I'd handle something like this.

I checked out the kid's blog on Myspace.com (got a tip on that) ... unbelievable. Parents, snoop if you have to but be aware of what your kids are doing. They may very well hate you for it but it just might save their lives.
    Goodnight all and God Bless,
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links