Calling all LEOs

This is a discussion on Calling all LEOs within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have my first interview for a police job this friday. I have passed the written and physical exams and am going to the next ...

Thread: Calling all LEOs

Calling all LEOs

I have my first interview for a police job this friday. I have passed the written and physical exams and am going to the next step. What advise do you all have for the interview. Any advise would be appreciated, prayers would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Tell the interviewer you don't need to go to the Academy, that your ready to hit the streets and blow away all the BG's, and that you have memorized every episode of TJ Hooker and CHIP's as well as never missing an episode of COPS. J/K

Seriously, be honest and up front with the interviewer. They've done enough interviews to know when someone is trying to blow smoke.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Dress for an interview. A suit, no less. Look sharp and focus on the questions they ask you. Dont try to guess what they will ask, or how the structure of the interview will be. Take your time and answer their questions as best you can. They'll be looking for someone who is honest, eager, intelligent, and articulate. Oh, and use spell check on your resume (a-d-v-i-c-e) Just messing with you! Relax and dont rush. The mouth has a tendency to run faster than the brain when you are stressed. Remember, everyone else that interviews will be just as nervous as you are. Good luck!

Just be honest, and be yourself.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Come across as trainable and eager to learn. Do NOT try to impress them with your knowledge of guns, tactics, etc. Also, convey to them the fact that you want to be a police officer as a way to earn a living, not some exciting quest for adventure.

Be honest and answer the questions as best as you can. They have investigated you like you would not believe. They went to NY State and interviewed my Grandmother's neighbor. My parents had lived with my Grandmother when I was 3. They probably know more about you at this point than you do. They have to be very interested in you for you to get to the interview stage.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Know - that they know all this and that about you already.

Know - that they already know the answers they want to hear.

Know - that you should know how to spell advice.

Know - that untruthfulness is a fatal error.

Know - that they will look at your car in the parking lot.

Know - that your grooming will be scrutinized.

Know - that you should know when to stop talking.

Know - that we wish you good luck.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Be honest above all things in answering the questions. If u don't know say u don't. They will be looking at how well u come across in ur ability to explain answers a lot.

Distinguished Member
    Besides dressing appropriately and being honest make sure you make eye contact when answering questions, and when I meet new people and shake their hand I always like to repeat their title/name - it shows you are listening.

Don't over think your answers, you haven't been trained yet just be able to explain why you would do something a certain way. Most of all don't second guess your answers if challenged (and they will challenge you). Right or wrong, being able to defend your thought process and stick with your decision is more important at this phase than being perfect, they don't want someone on the street that can't make a decision and stick with it.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Thanks guys. And yes, I had someone else proof read my resume.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Be yourself, and shine your shoes!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links