Disgusted, PO'd, Heartsick, and Mad as a Wet Hen............Stupid Shooters!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Disgusted, PO'd, Heartsick, and Mad as a Wet Hen............Stupid Shooters!!!!!!!!!! within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A very close friend's husband was walking their half-Malamute half-Alaskan Husky yesterday. The dog is 75-80 pounds, and had a blaze orange collar on. The ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Disgusted, PO'd, Heartsick, and Mad as a Wet Hen............Stupid Shooters!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbs down Disgusted, PO'd, Heartsick, and Mad as a Wet Hen............Stupid Shooters!!!!!!!!!!

A very close friend's husband was walking their half-Malamute half-Alaskan Husky yesterday. The dog is 75-80 pounds, and had a blaze orange collar on. The husband had a red sweatshirt on. They were accompanied by three other dogs. The dogs are all voice trained, and here is my friends story:

At 2 pm, on this gorgeous sunny Saturday, J went for his customary hike with our dogs. We hike and/or ride our horses with our dogs 4-5 times per week on the trails near our house. He parked at his usual place at the trailhead on Cedar Mountain Road, and was hiking down a marked foot trail that leads to the 717 system. Two men, one from Castle Rock, and one from Colorado Springs, were out shooting coyotes for fun. They were utilizing some type of "coyote calling" device to attract coyotes, and this got R's attention and she went towards the noise. She was shot in the chest. She is a tall 75 lb malamute/husky, wearing a bright orange reflective collar with tags.

J wrapped R in his sweatshirt to stem the bleeding, and immediately called me. Fortunately I was at home, and within minutes I was there and I was able to get R over to Teller Park Vet and into surgery. With the assistance of Dr. X, we spent two hours working on her, and despite a horrific wound and extensive blood loss, I believe she will survive, although it remains to be seen if she will be able to return to her previous level of fitness and continue to climb 14er's with J.

J called the Teller County Sheriff's department and the Division of Wildlife. Apparently, as long as the "hunters" "believed" that they were shooting a coyote, they are within their rights to shoot and/or kill dogs, hiking alongside their owners, with absolute impunity.

This is OUTRAGEOUS. I am incensed and livid that in a relatively densely populated area like Divide, on a marked trail, adjacent to Teller County's largest subdivision of Indian Creek Estates, recreational shooters can shoot and kill your dog while you are hiking with it. They did not shoot her because she was unattended, at large, or chasing wildlife or livestock, or threatening anyone - in fact, she is quite shy and would never approach a stranger. They shot her because they were trigger-happy and did not have a clear enough view to distinguish a 75 lb collared malamute mix, hiking with a man and 3 other dogs, from a coyote.

On the USDA Forest Service's own website, Pike National Forest is described as "... a busy urban national forest noted for the majority of fourteen thousand foot peaks in Colorado ..." We do not live in an area where you would not expect to see other hikers, horseriders and ATV'ers and dog walkers!
    Around here a coyote might hit 40 pounds, and does NOT have markings like the Malamutes/Huskies. The shot would have required POOR ID and questionable IQ.

I am just so frustrated and unhappy that IDIOTS did this, giving sportsmen, recreational shooters, and hunters a bad name. Shooting something CLEARLY not completely identified no less. Arggghhhhhhhhhh

May the two men rot in hell.

If anyone wants to see a chest shot wound I'd be glad to share it, but it is not pretty.

2. Remove Ads

Horrible story man, I agree these 2 guys are idiots and should rot. Glad to hear the dog should make it. I would be interested in seeing the pics if you don't mind.

VIP Member
    Bad. Some folks just shouldn't be carrying a hunting license. I once had a secretary whose dad was shot out of a tree by some moron who didn't know that deer don't wear orange and don't climb trees.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Sad story! Idiots should not have guns. If I was anywhere near the dog, I'd be claiming they tried to kill me, missed and hit the dog.
    21bubba, RETSUPT99, tkruf and 1 others like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

No offense but why was the dog off the leash on a busy trail? That does not excuse the hunters for not properly identifying their targets however.

I believe strongly that carelessness with a firearm should be jumped on harshly. Then when the authorities refuse to respond with sanctions, you end up with idiots like this being a menace to everyone.

A couple years ago, we had a complete and utter moron in my county who was attempting to install a satellite dish. He didn't have a proper drill bit to drill a hole through the exterior wall of the house to run the cable in. So this moron used a gun to shoot a hole in the wall. The bullet hit his wife in the chest who was outside playing with the kids and killed her. The prosecutor opted not to charge him saying it was a tragic accident.

Well, yeah, it was a tragic accident but it was also a negligent act of supreme stupidity which screamed for at least reckless endangerment or negligent homicide charge. It was a case which warranted punitive action. A 25 year old mother of three is dead because of sheer and utter stupidity. There were a lot of folks with their hackles up at the prosecutor for not charging the guy in that event. (Someone even posted the story on this forum which some of you might remember.)

Now he's free to be stupid again. No repercussions for that and no one learns a lesson. This idiot got no probation, no community service, no blemish on his record, nothing. Just free to continue to be an idiot.

Very sorry to hear about your friend and his dog, Rock and Glock, it is disgusting.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

No offense but why was the dog off the leash on a busy trail?
    I don't know the exact answer but off-lead is fine generally in the County (outside of towns) if under voice command, which R was.

Senior Moderator
    Sorry to hear about that. It shouldn't have happened.

While it may seem silly to most, the hunters may not have had the slightest clue what was happening.
    They were coyote hunting, in a sport where the shots are quick and the targets fleeting. While I am in no way trying to justify their actions, I can see it happening.

A caller, a quick movement, a silhouette of a dog in a sport where the timing from seeing to shooting can be in just a few seconds.

I sincerely hope that the dog recovers...and that the hunters pick a better spot where they are less likely to encounter pet dogs.
    oneshot likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I am sorry for your friends tragic incident. I would like to know how far she was from her owner.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Sorry to hear about that. It shouldn't have happened.

While it may seem silly to most, the hunters may not have had the slightest clue what was happening.
    They were coyote hunting, in a sport where the shots are quick and the targets fleeting.
    While I am in no way trying to justify their actions, I can see it happening.

A caller, a quick movement, a silhouette of a dog in a sport where the timing from seeing to shooting can be in just a few seconds.

I sincerely hope that the dog recovers...and that the hunters pick a better spot where they are less likely to encounter pet dogs.
    I understand you are not siding with the hunters or justifying their actions!

However, an errant round is an errant round. It could have just as easily hit a human instead of the dog. Especially since the dog's owner was reported to be in the immediate vicinity of the dog, if not a couple feet away.

People need to be responsible for the errant rounds which leave their gun. If no more than receiving a fish & wildlife citation (hunting privileges suspended) and/or being held responsible for the veterinarian expenses of the dog, some accountability is in order for this accident and should have happened.

As a hunter myself, with a strong moral compass and strong affection for dogs, had something like that happened to me, even if the law did not hold me liable, I would have offered to pay the vet expenses anyway as a sign of responsibility and moral character.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    The problem is...the hunters probably did not know that the men were not far behind. Brush, trees, whatever...I seriously doubt that they saw them.

It wasnt an "errant round" until it became evident that they shot a dog and that the owner wasnt far behind.

It sucks without a doubt.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The problem is...the hunters probably did not know that the men were not far behind. Brush, trees, whatever...I seriously doubt that they saw them.

It wasnt an "errant round" until it became evident that they shot a dog and that the owner wasnt far behind.

I agree.

And is shows the caliber of men they are for not offering to help out with vet expenses.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

May the two men rot in hell.
    +1 on that.
    Last edited by HotGuns; December 11th, 2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: language workaround

Target identification error.. an extra half second may have allowed for better ID..... My Granddad taught me a shot not taken was better than a shot you are not sure about.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I nearly lost both my dogs to a nasty crazy neighbor that shot my dogs on a fenced in cattle yard of a fellow neighbour. Never could prove it was him. But when a Nam vet, my dad says this is where something was shot and it came from there....looking straight at the guys house there was no doubt in the families mind. Our fellow neighbour with the cattle was so ticked since he loved when we brought our dogs over to let them play with his cattle. He had a few words with the other guy, something to the effect of never shoot anything on his land again.... Mysteriously the man who shot my dogs yard died, all 3 acres.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links