Anonymous Donors Paying Off K-Mart Layaway Accounts

Anonymous Donors Paying Off K-Mart Layaway Accounts

This is a discussion on Anonymous Donors Paying Off K-Mart Layaway Accounts within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Anonymous donors paying off Kmart layaway accounts across US : page all - NorthJersey.com OMAHA, Neb. The young father stood in line at the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Anonymous Donors Paying Off K-Mart Layaway Accounts

Thumbs up Anonymous Donors Paying Off K-Mart Layaway Accounts

Anonymous donors paying off Kmart layaway accounts across US : page all - NorthJersey.com

OMAHA, Neb. The young father stood in line at the Kmart layaway counter, wearing dirty clothes and worn-out boots. With him were three small children. He asked to pay something on his bill because he knew he wouldn't be able to afford it all before Christmas. Then a mysterious woman stepped up to the counter.

"She told him, 'No, I'm paying for it,'" recalled Edna Deppe, assistant manager at the store in Indianapolis. "He just stood there and looked at her and then looked at me and asked if it was a joke. I told him it wasn't, and that she was going to pay for him. And he just busted out in tears."

At Kmart stores across the country, Santa seems to be getting some help: Anonymous donors are paying off strangers' layaway accounts, buying the Christmas gifts other families couldn't afford, especially toys and children's clothes set aside by impoverished parents.
    Eagleks, tkruf and Rock and Glock like this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Dunno what's happening... suddenly screen all blurry.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    My screen fuzzed up too. It makes the glaring white background almost bearable...

Good example of how today is the day we can all make a difference in someone's life.
    hazard123 likes this.

A conspiracy of goodness?

Who'd a thunk it?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Thats awesome,maybe we all should do the same,especialy since we are all so blessed!

There is still hope for mankind and we are truly not all bad. Years ago I had a bumpersticker from my Episcopal church which read "Do Random Acts of Kindness".

I think that is what this is all about. It sure is good to see it though.
    oneshot and surefire7 like this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    A conspiracy of goodness?

Who'd a thunk it?
    Nahh..Gotta be some sort of Communist takeover plot or something.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    For the last few years I have been losing faith in humanity, one Snuggie at a time. This has restored a little bit of that faith.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

How to help?

Thank you for the article link!

I sent an email to Kmart customer service asking how I can participate. I imagine I'm not the only one. Hopefully, they will get back to me in time for me to help a family before December 25th.

Below is my email:

"Would it be possible for me to help someone pay off their layaway plan before Christmas? Ideally, I would like to help someone that is buying clothes or children’s toys, has made many payments, and is at risk of not being able to make the final payment to complete their contract.

Please let me know."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RCS1300 View Post
    Thank you for the article link!

I sent an email to Kmart customer service asking how I can participate. I imagine I'm not the only one. Hopefully, they will get back to me in time for me to help a family before December 25th.
    Would you mind posting back your findings to this thread?

Will do!

Administrator
    I don't want to take anything away from this thread, but one method I've used myself as well as different professional organizations I'm active in is to visit some local churches and ask about families in your town in need. Either the church will donate to them direct, or I'll find out as much as the church will tell me, and pay a bill or two for them. Last year, my wife and I paid off a car repair bill at a local shop- the shop owner learned what I was doing and why, and split it with me.
    So, my point is, even if the kmart thing doesn't work out, there are plenty of ways to help out in the same manner and spirit as the original story posted here.
    JoJoGunn, RMS, oneshot and 2 others like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't want to take anything away from this thread, but one method I've used myself as well as different professional organizations I'm active in is to visit some local churches and ask about families in your town in need. Either the church will donate to them direct, or I'll find out as much as the church will tell me, and pay a bill or two for them. Last year, my wife and I paid off a car repair bill at a local shop- the shop owner learned what I was doing and why, and split it with me.
    So, my point is, even if the kmart thing doesn't work out, there are plenty of ways to help out in the same manner and spirit as the original story posted here.
    Absolutely. I'm helping out several different people in need this season. The Kmart Layaway plan is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It is amazing how often people show up and do incredible things like this!

I got a check in the mail this week made out to the church with this written:

Pastor, thanks! No act of kindness is ever forgotten. Signed first name only.

I have no idea why (I do have a guess).

By the way, it was a LARGE check.
    We will put it to good use.

And bless all y'all for your kindness and compassion!

Merry Christmas!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

There is an anonymous Santa around here each year for about the last 12 yrs, and he will walk in and give a charity a coin, and in some cases has special delivery mailed it to them. He will give 5 - 10 out each year. Each coin, has been gold and worth over $10,000 each on the market. It's not always the 'same' year / make of coin. They've never figured out who it is.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links