My grandmother is in the hospital again.

This is a discussion on My grandmother is in the hospital again. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My grandmother- who is just over 60- is in the hospital. She has serious breathing problems- emphysema, COPD, and no telling how many other problems ...

Thread: My grandmother is in the hospital again.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

My grandmother- who is just over 60- is in the hospital. She has serious breathing problems- emphysema, COPD, and no telling how many other problems with her lungs. She also smoked for at least 30 years.

She is in the ICU as of last night- she was in the 'partial intensive care' ward/unit (or whatever they choose to call it at that hospital), she has had a few seizures- the one last night was the reason they moved her to the ICU. They have her strongly sedated- almost to the point of a coma to keep her from having more seizures- and occasionally back the medication off a little to check on her. They have her on a ventilator, which was doing 70% of her breathing, but have since backed it down to 35%.

We have all been scared of what would happen if she had to go back into the hospital- and even more so of what would happen if she had to be put on a ventilator. I will most likely be going to Columbia tomorrow to visit her, then coming back to be at work at 730 Saturday morning. This is going to be a wonderful Christmas.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    You and your grandmother are in our prayers. Don't most likely go and see her, just go and do it. We never have as much time as we would like so we must take full advantage of those moments when they come. My mother passed in 2002. I was picking my wife up from her job and then we went for a late meal. When we got home there was a message on our answering machine. Don't give them a chance to make that call, be there for her.

Your grandmother is added to my DC list...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Prayers sent, I miss both of my Grandmothers!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Prayers sent as well.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Prayers sent & I hope your Christmas will be merrier than you may think.
    SCGunLover1

Thank you everyone. I appreciate it, and I'm sure that everyone else in the family will as well.

I just got another update from my mother- my grandmother is responding better now. My grandfather was there when they brought her 'back around' and she responded better to him/his presence than to anyone else's so far. So, I'm taking that as good news.

Things are definitely looking up a bit better now.

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    She is in our prayers

My grandmother is home again- she went from the hospital (shortly after new years) to a nursing home that specializes in physical therapy. She was there for about 3 weeks until she stopped trying to get better. Since then, she's been home being taken care of by one of my cousins, and my mother. And she is walking a little- very little- talking, and having conversations. But, most of what she talk about she's not in her right mind. She can't tell the difference between her imagination, her dreams, and reality. Overall she seems to be mostly functional when it comes to talking to people and can get herself out of bed when she tries hard enough. She's just not so in touch with reality anymore.

She can do a lot of simple things for herself things that are really simple- like putting on a robe, but you have to MAKE her. It may sound bad, but, that's just the way it is- she only way she is going to get any better at all is if she does stuff for herself.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    My grandmother is home again- she went from the hospital (shortly after new years) to a nursing home that specializes in physical therapy. She was there for about 3 weeks until she stopped trying to get better. Since then, she's been home being taken care of by one of my cousins, and my mother. And she is walking a little- very little- talking, and having conversations. But, most of what she talk about she's not in her right mind. She can't tell the difference between her imagination, her dreams, and reality. Overall she seems to be mostly functional when it comes to talking to people and can get herself out of bed when she tries hard enough. She's just not so in touch with reality anymore.

She can do a lot of simple things for herself things that are really simple- like putting on a robe, but you have to MAKE her. It may sound bad, but, that's just the way it is- she only way she is going to get any better at all is if she does stuff for herself.

^^^^^TO bold^^^^^^^^^^^
    Above:

Sounds as though you need to have her re-evaluated, and get some different doctors on board.
    It sounds as though her meds are screwing her up, unless she was this way before she fell ill.

Sorry to hear she is still having an uphill climb
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^TO bold^^^^^^^^^^^
    Above:

Sounds as though you need to have her re-evaluated, and get some different doctors on board.
    It sounds as though her meds are screwing her up, unless she was this way before she fell ill.

Sorry to hear she is still having an uphill climb
    It was caused by medication, but she's been off of those meds since she went into the hospital. I'm scared/worried that this is a permanent side effect- this most recent occurrence is at least the second, maybe third. I honestly don't know that she'll ever be quite 'right' again.

Links