Survived the Christmas Trip to Illinois

This is a discussion on Survived the Christmas Trip to Illinois within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As most of you know, the state of Illinois( well the crooks in Chicago anyhow) is not friendly to firearms ownership and the state does ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By Hiram25

Thread: Survived the Christmas Trip to Illinois

Survived the Christmas Trip to Illinois

As most of you know, the state of Illinois( well the crooks in Chicago anyhow) is not friendly to firearms ownership and the state does not recognize or issue concealed carry permits. My in-laws and some of my wife's family still reside there in the Springfield area so we make an anual pilgrimage to the Land of Lincoln for Christmas or New Years. We had to remain virtually unarmed during the trip. Thankfully there were no "events" that required any self defense.

This year, we were able to be out there on Christmas Day, and it was a good Christmas. We had a two room suite at the Drury in Springfield, with free Wi-Fi so I could keep up on the happenings at the DC forum. The room was filled to capacity; friends, family and we all had a great time opening gifts and generally celebrating a great day.

My wife was able to show off her new "toy" that I got for her October birthday, the Ruger LCR. Her family and friends are not anti firearm and welcomed the chance to handle the (unloaded of course) revolver and check it out. I had her LCP as a back up. We kept the firearms according to IL law so rest assured we would not ever want to break a law concerning firearms while there, it would get ugly for sure.

It is ironic that Illinois is now surrounded by states that issue and recognize valid permits. They are like an island amidst the states that offer the right to their citizens. Wisconsin is the most recent one. Perhaps in the future, Illinois will cave in and allow it. However, I'm not holding my breath.

Traveling through Illinois was uneventful but I did breathe a sigh of relief once we crossed the Wabash River into Indiana where our permits are recognized and we could re-arm. Kentucky also recognizes WV and we had no problems traveling through there to home.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas. Maybe got that handgun, rifle or ammuniton you've been desparately wanting? Now we look forward to the coming year 2012.

Surviving an Illinois Christmas I believe is a good thing!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The best part of a trip to Illinois is seeing it in the rear view mirror. Welcome back to the land of the free.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It really does feel like your only wearing one shoe, doesn't it!
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The best part of a trip to Illinois is seeing it in the rear view mirror.

Links