Daughter update

Daughter update

This is a discussion on Daughter update within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As I related here: http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...e-morning.html , my daughter had a seizure on Dec. 10th. Since then we have been to the neurologist, she's had an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Daughter update

Daughter update

As I related here: Huge scare this morning...., my daughter had a seizure on Dec. 10th. Since then we have been to the neurologist, she's had an MRI, and a EEG, which didn't go all that well and may have to be redone, both tests were last week. Spoke with the doctor yesterday, and they can't really have an idea to cause yet.
    The seizure came from the left temporal lobe, which they know from how I described the seizure, this is the same area effected by the event 5 years ago. The doctor said this area showed some "change" but no "abnormalities", which at first i wasn't sure what he meant, however upon reflection, I think he is referring to the repaired myelin sheath that was destroyed.
    The doctor also stated that for the portion of the EEG that she actually slept, everything looked good, but this was maybe 7 or 8 minutes out of 60 minutes. My daughter has high anxiety when it comes to medical procedures and she wouldn't go to sleep, even after being deprived of sleep all night. This is why they want another EEG, which we will do when we go back in 3 months. In the meantime we are to continue her seizures control medication and keep an eye out for signs of on coming issues as much as possible. A reduction in chaotic external stimuli like video games, flashing lights, etc. has also been recommended. Anyway, my kid hasn't let this slow her down one bit, and we are going ahead with plans for her birthday trip to Disney world, she turns 10 in 2 weeks.

Thanks for all the prayers!
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Wishing for a good outcome for her.

--------------------------------------
    Sent from my Sprint Photon using Tapatalk
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    As I related here: Huge scare this morning...., my daughter had a seizure on Dec. 10th. Since then we have been to the neurologist, she's had an MRI, and a EEG, which didn't go all that well and may have to be redone, both tests were last week. Spoke with the doctor yesterday, and they can't really have an idea to cause yet.
    The seizure came from the left temporal lobe, which they know from how I described the seizure, this is the same area effected by the event 5 years ago. The doctor said this area showed some "change" but no "abnormalities", which at first i wasn't sure what he meant, however upon reflection, I think he is referring to the repaired myelin sheath that was destroyed.
    The doctor also stated that for the portion of the EEG that she actually slept, everything looked good, but this was maybe 7 or 8 minutes out of 60 minutes. My daughter has high anxiety when it comes to medical procedures and she wouldn't go to sleep, even after being deprived of sleep all night. This is why they want another EEG, which we will do when we go back in 3 months. In the meantime we are to continue her seizures control medication and keep an eye out for signs of on coming issues as much as possible. A reduction in chaotic external stimuli like video games, flashing lights, etc. has also been recommended. Anyway, my kid hasn't let this slow her down one bit, and we are going ahead with plans for her birthday trip to Disney world, she turns 10 in 2 weeks.

Thanks for all the prayers!
    I have a daughter the same age as yours. I will most certainly send prayers in your daughters direction. I have had two seizures in my life, I am 36 years old, I honestly believe both were caused by office lighting and they were about 9 months apart, Just threw that out there because it was so odd, I had no history of it before or after, this happened around age 22 I guess. Anyway the birthday trip to Disney is a great idea, And I might add, the great ones never do let things like this slow them down, not one little bit! You have quite a little trooper there and you should be real proud of her.

Well, I guess the news could be worse. I'd rather have a mystery on my hands than looking at an image of a brain tumor or something. I had a bout with vertigo a few years ago and had to get an MRI. I was relieved when it came back normal. While I still had vertigo, I was glad to see there was nothing seriously wrong with my brain! In my case, they eventually determined it was caused by an inner ear problem and it eventually went away.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Prayers and best wishes to your family

VIP Member
    Glad for her high spirits...prayers sent.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    First, I just want to wish you all the best possible outcome with this situation.

I want to re-emphasize what you already know about keeping external stimuli minimum. You wrote: "A reduction in chaotic external stimuli like video games,"

EVEN healthy people can get bad reactions to these. When my kid was in 6th grade he developed a vocal "squeak." It seemed to be a "nervous tick," but we decided that if it didn't go away we would get him checked out. It certainly was causing a problem at school and I'm surprised looking back that the school didn't get on us.

Anyway, video games were a new thing back then. One day I decided to just take the video game away to see if that would have any effect. (I was thinking that his squeak might be a minor form of epilepsy.) Sure enough, the moment I made the video game disappear the "squeak" disappeared. He has never ever again had any sort of seizure or any other tick. For what ever reason, playing Mario Brothers was causing the problem. Now, 22-23 years later he is just fine.
    shooterX likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Wish you and your daughter the very best, hope they can figure it out and either cure it, or stop it from happening.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I have a daughter who had a life-threatening childhood illness, and I know it's tough when you can't help her right now. I hope your girl does well. The majority of ADEM patients have total or near total recoveries (NINDS web-page). Prayers to her and your family.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Inspector Harry Callahan

Thanks for the update and now for the healing process to begin.

Continuing prayer for your daughter and your family.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    First, I just want to wish you all the best possible outcome with this situation.

I want to re-emphasize what you already know about keeping external stimuli minimum. You wrote: "A reduction in chaotic external stimuli like video games,"

EVEN healthy people can get bad reactions to these. When my kid was in 6th grade he developed a vocal "squeak." It seemed to be a "nervous tick," but we decided that if it didn't go away we would get him checked out. It certainly was causing a problem at school and I'm surprised looking back that the school didn't get on us.

Anyway, video games were a new thing back then. One day I decided to just take the video game away to see if that would have any effect. (I was thinking that his squeak might be a minor form of epilepsy.) Sure enough, the moment I made the video game disappear the "squeak" disappeared. He has never ever again had any sort of seizure or any other tick. For what ever reason, playing Mario Brothers was causing the problem. Now, 22-23 years later he is just fine.
    Epilepsy has been mentioned a few times.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Thanks for the update!! I hope everyone has a great time on her Bday trip.

Quote Originally Posted by shooterX View Post
    The doctor said this area showed some "change" but no "abnormalities", which at first i wasn't sure what he meant, however upon reflection, I think he is referring to the repaired myelin sheath that was destroyed.
    The best advise I can give you is, don't let the doc leave the room until they explain everything to a point that you understand it. Some docs are better about this than others.
    oneshot likes this.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Glad to hear that everything seems to be ok for now. I hope everything goes well.
    Have lots of fun on her trip, and don't let anyone come back without a story to tell.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post

The best advise I can give you is, don't let the doc leave the room until they explain everything to a point that you understand it. Some docs are better about this than others.
    Yes, and don't be afraid to contact them later for more info if you feel the need. I will add that it always helps me to write down all of my questions before-hand and refer to them when I'm with the doctor. Otherwise I tend to get fixated on the explanations he does give me and I completely forget the other questions. My doctor loves it & has gotten so he just takes my list of questions & goes over them point-by-point.

Too, the doctor's nurse can be a tremendous aid in answering your questions or relaying information to/from the doctor. I've found the nurses to be more willing to spend as much time as necessary in understanding my concerns and explaining things until I truly "get it".

Best wishes for you and your daughter during this time. It looks like you are doing everything right.

Be strong.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post

^^^^^^^Sorry to hear the sad news.

I, as well hope you and yours have a most memorable day @ The Magic Castle.

Prayers sent for a solid diagnosis, with a happy ending to follow.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links