A true hero passes away.

This is a discussion on A true hero passes away. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; They just dont make them like they used to. . Flagstaff, Ariz. -- Keith Little envisioned a place that would house the stories of the ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By vietnamvet66
  • 1 Post By Eagleks

Thread: A true hero passes away.

A true hero passes away.

They just dont make them like they used to.
    Flagstaff, Ariz. -- Keith Little envisioned a place that would house the stories of the Navajo Code Talkers and where people could learn more about the famed World War II group who used their native language as a weapon.

His family now hopes to carry out his dream of a museum in Arizona that also will hold wartime memorabilia and serve as a haven for veterans. Mr. Little, one of the most recognizable of the remaining Code Talkers, died of melanoma Tuesday night at a Fort Defiance hospital, said his wife, Nellie. He was 87.

Mr. Little was 17 when he joined the U.S. Marine Corps, becoming one of hundreds of Navajos trained as Code Talkers. They used a code developed by 29 tribal members that was based on the then-unwritten Navajo language. Their code helped confound the Japanese and win the war.

"My motivation was to fight the enemy with a gun or whatever," Mr. Little told the Associated Press in a July 2009 interview. "When I went into the Marine Corps ... I knew nothing about the Navajo code. It was really astonishing to me to get to Camp Pendleton and there were a bunch of Navajos there, and they were working with a Navajo code."

Mr. Little, the longtime president of the Navajo Code Talkers Association until his death, traveled the country seeking funding for the museum that is expected to cost up to $30 million. He preached about the preservation of Navajo traditions, culture and the language that the federal government tried to eradicate before he and others were called on to use it during the war.

It was a story he never tired of telling, association secretary Yvonne Murphy said.

"That was his life. That was the drive behind him," Murphy said Wednesday. "It didn't matter where he was. If there were people who came and wanted to sit and talk with him, he would share with them."

Nellie Little said her husband hoped the museum would be open by 2014 at its proposed location just outside the Navajo Nation capital of Window Rock. But she said more money is needed.

She is asking people to send museum donations rather than flowers for his memorial.

Mr. Little's health had been deteriorating over the past year, as he went in and out of hospitals between speaking engagements and appearances in parades - the last time in New York in November for Veterans Day, the association said.

A video on the association's website features him speaking about the importance of the unbreakable code. Fellow platoon members referred to the Navajos as "walking secret codes," with each message having to be memorized and destroyed after it was sent or received, Mr. Little says.

"That is something that in itself was marvelous," he said in the AP interview. "It was so proficient and safe."

A public memorial is planned for Friday in Window Rock, with funeral services scheduled Saturday in nearby Fort Defiance. Navajo President Ben Shelly has ordered flags lowered across the reservation from today through Sunday in Mr. Little's honor.

Read more: Navajo Code Talker, museum backer Keith Little dies

2. Remove Ads

God Bless him, and the rest of the men of that war. We are losing them in great numbers.
    Naufragia and 9MMare like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Rest in peace. Your dream will become reality.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    God Bless him, and the rest of the men of that war. We are losing them in great numbers.
    In my family my dad and 7 uncles served during WWII. My dad is the only one left. He'll be 93 in June of this year. It won't be long until the last of that generation will be gone, but never forgotten.
    Naufragia likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Most events are forgotten,unless there is somebody that keeps it alive by continuing to tell it to whomever will listen.The Navahos went above and beyond and deserve to have a museum.I don't give away money to every organisation that begs for donations,but to me this is one that I will support
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

They made a movie about these guys a few years back. My father served as a Navy Corpsman in the Pacific during that war. When coded radio traffic was needed, a question often asked over the air was, "Do you have a Navajo?"

God bless Mr. Little and his family.

sgb
    "Semper Fi"
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    All of my uncles served in WWII. From Alaska to the South Pacific. Army, Navy and Marines. The last one died recently at the age of 94. Never forget!

Another Warrior Gone. Rest in Peace my Brother. Semper Fi.
    Naufragia likes this.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Quote Originally Posted by Naufragia View Post
    They made a movie about these guys a few years back. My father served as a Navy Corpsman in the Pacific during that war. When coded radio traffic was needed, a question often asked over the air was, "Do you have a Navajo?"

God bless Mr. Little and his family.

Naufragia likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Links