To Kill The One You Love

This is a discussion on To Kill The One You Love within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have absolutely nothing to be thankful for today except for the fact that heavy dew on thick green grass in this morningís pre-dawn light ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: To Kill The One You Love

To Kill The One You Love

I have absolutely nothing to be thankful for today except for the fact that heavy dew on thick green grass in this morningís pre-dawn light allowed my 1/4 Cherokee ancestry to slowly draw my CC .380, silently approach the most cherished love of my life from behind, and put a bullet through the back of his head without him ever knowing what hit him, feeling no pain, or ever knowing it was the one he loved and trusted the most who just killed him.

He was a gentle giant named Frisco, and he was one of Godís greatest and most precious blessings in the form of a huge, fluffy, snow white, 175-pound Great Pyrenees who has been my constant friend, guardian, pal and loving companion for the past 11 years. Even though heís lived two years beyond average life expectancy for such a big dog, his last three months have been with increasing pain from hip-joint deterioration that made it more and more difficult for him to get around.

I was awakened this morning by his painful cries from outside as he was continually trying to get up and falling back down again; and regardless of how deeply I love him, the sudden incapacitation and terrible pain was too much for me to bear even though his brave spirit kept him struggling until he collapsed from exhaustion.

Iíve enthusiastically hunted all my life with the concept of putting food on the table in a fair, sporting and humane manner; and I also thought I was very mentally and emotionally calloused after working through the many times of deep remorse over taking an uncounted number of human lives during combat in SE Asia and two more during LE years - but I have to honestly admit this is the most personally devastating thing Iíve ever had to do in my life. Iíve had many wonderful and loving dogs in the past that either died of natural causes, accidents, or were euthanized by vets when no hope was left; but Iíll not be getting another dog because Iíll never be able to do this again to something whoís loved me and trusted me for so long.

Iím not posting this for sympathy, and Iíd rather not have any responses. Iím only giving myself some closure by publicly recognizing the life and passing of Frisco. He was a wonderful ďnon-humanĒ with more intelligence, unconditional love, compassion, honesty, bravery, understanding and gentleness than most people I know Ė and most certainly was a better man than I am.

2. Remove Ads

You took care of your companion as best you could. What you did took courage beyond what a lot of us can muster.

I am quickly reminded of the story Roy Huntington, editor of American Handgunner, told of his own experience with putting down a beloved pet. That story appeared in his "Insider" column and can be found here: On responsibility: Ginger's legacy ó a true story - The Insider | American Handgunner | Find Articles Re-reading that for umpteenth time got my eyes misty all over again.

Be prepared for an onslaught of comments that what you did was cruel and inhumane, why didn't you take Frisco to the vet to put him down, and similar blather, but those will come from people who don't know you and don't have the same level of commitment and personal responsibility toward their companions that you do.

You're an honorable man, and surely worthy of Frisco's devotion. May God ease your sorrow.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    I've read a few of these types of posts and, frankly, I don't know if I'd be able to step up in a similar situation. Even knowing that I might be the best hope for my short-lived companion & friend to pass on without the burdon of additional pain & suffering.

It seems almost odd that I can be committed (in theory) to using deadly force in a life threatening situation, but something like this just sets my head a-buzzin'.

Prayers to you, & hope that you can find some peace in the good memories of your loved companion.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

You cared for, gave him love and joy during his life in this world, that's more than many people do. Although there's pain now, he wouldn't have had it any other way..god bless my freind and heal soon. He wants you to.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

I can sympathize with your decision.
    I've personally had to put a couple of smaller pets out of their misery, but not a dog yet.
    Taking them to the vet, or having the vet come to the house, for euthanasia is the hardest thing I've had to do and I've been in that spot three times.
    I learned the first time, that I'm sad anyway and digging a big hole to put my pet (friend) in after the fact only adds to it.
    Next two times, when I knew it was "the day" I dug a big hole before hand. The first time my wife wasn't expecting that, and when she got home she saw the hole; she found that sight a little disturbing.
    Last time, my wife was home when I dug the hole. She called the vet (we have a vet that makes house calls) and told the vet that our dog had suffered enough needed her services. The vet wasn't sure she could make it that day; I told my wife to let the vet know that if she didn't come there would be no need to come tomorrow because I would handle it myself. The vet came that day. I was with my first two dogs when the vet put them down, I simply could not watch this last time; that stressful job fell to my wife.
    Our pets trust us and I feel that it's my responsibility to prevent their suffering, sometimes that involves making tough choices.
    I'm in the difficult position to do what they can't do for themself.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

I understand exactly. You did what you needed to do for your friend to end his suffering. There is great honor in that, along with great pain. He fulfilled his obligations to you, and you fulfilled yours to him.
    oneshot likes this.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

He is at peace now due to your courage and devotion.......sorry for your loss.

"Truly, Man's Best Friend"...........

VIP Member
    You did the right thing.
    We had to put our 12 yr. old lab down a couple years ago, and I had to drive to the vet, walk him in, and as they closed the door after I said goodbye to Buckwheat, I was sad, for losing a good friend/guardian for my family,, but not for doing what was right, letting him go W/O anymore needless suffering and pain.
    Prayers are sent to you this day Eaglebeak,,,

Thanks for the link to the touching , beautiful story gasmitty,,,,,,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    He is at peace now due to your courage and devotion.......sorry for your loss.

"Truly, Man's Best Friend"...........
    +1 here I feel the same way. Sorry for the loss.

Peace be with you, as it is devastating to lose a piece of your heart and soul. I am very sorry for your loss.

I understand. I could never understand why it seems the right thing to do is always the most difficult.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Once a dog person always a dog person; I have been where you are many times and it’s never easy but the good times outweigh the bad. To say never again is hard words to eat because when you are saying no it will happen; some dog will need you

Senior Moderator
    Sorry for your loss Eaglebeak.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I sincerely appreciate everyone's kind thoughts. I had already pre-dug Frisco's grave because I knew his time was coming soon. I live out in the country, the nearest vet is 25 miles away, charges $200 for weekday "house calls", isn't open on weekends, and charges $400 for weekend or after hour emergency house calls. Frisco wasn't afraid of anyone or anything except for the vet and needles; and since it was Saturday morning and I didn't want his last moments of life to be filled with fear, I did the toughest thing I've ever had to do. I find it very strange, if not very unsettling, that I've been able to drop the hammer on many people in the past without this much remorse. Perhaps it was because the people were the enemy or a BG up to no good instead of someone who loved and trusted me unconditionally. Healing will not come easy - if ever. Thanks again my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I understand. I could never understand why it seems the right thing to do is always the most difficult.
    Doing it right comes with a lot of emotion and pain, that IMO is why its so hard.

@Eaglebeak, I learned that lesson when I was 14, I admire you for being able to take care of your Dog. In life as well as death...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links