R.I.P. Jim Marshall

This is a discussion on R.I.P. Jim Marshall within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Being a gamer I started to post this on my Guild's forum but after reading the thread regarding Earl Scruggs I realized that this would ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Caertaker
  • 2 Post By l1a1

Thread: R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Lightbulb R.I.P. Jim Marshall

Being a gamer I started to post this on my Guild's forum but after reading the thread regarding Earl Scruggs I realized that this would probably be a better venue. Regardless of your musical tastes but especially if you like hard rock the last titan that made that genre possible has fallen.
    Jim Marshall obituary: Creator of famed rock 'n' roll amps dies at 88 - latimes.com

On my Mount Rushmore of Rock Tech Legends there are three faces - now all departed:
    1. Les Paul
    2. Leo Fender
    3. Jim Marshall

They may not have had groupies throwing themselves at their feet but without their labor neither would Led Zepplin, The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, Guns n Roses or any other of the countless bands that profited from their genius. In my opinion, without Jim Marshall, the backdrop to the tapestry of you life would have been as different as if John Browning had never lived.
    MikeNice likes this.

2. Remove Ads

R.I.P. Les, Leo and Jim.

I've owned a Fender guitar and Marshall haff stack. Sold them a long time ago for an acoustical Alvarez. Wife didn't like the sound.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Jim Marshall definitely influenced and left a mark on Rock'n'Roll. A lot of bands would have never had the signature sound they had if it weren't Marshall's designs.

Condolences go out to Marshall's family and loved ones.

What Caliber is a les paul
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I loaded mine with .010s

The highest caliber! Unfortunately, too spendy for me, so I settle for my Fender accoustic and an Ibanez electric...

Ace
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Mine is this caliber. Not sure about the others.
    LesPaul2.jpg

Truly an impact on music, bands and touring, in all forms.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Marshall was as responsible for the sound of Rock and Roll as Elvis, The Beatles, or any other musician. Bands from all genres used his gear to revolutionize. The only genre I think he didn't change was Jazz.

For a kid of my generation a shirtless Slash with his Les Paul and a Marshall stack was the eptiome of rock and roll attitude.

Jim will be missed.
    Remember the teacher telling you to “Bring enough for everybody”? That applies to gunfights, too. ~ Sarge @ Sarge's Roll Call

This is my LPSO (Les Paul Shaped Object) kit guitar and my Marshall inspired Ampeg which died nearly the same day as Jim Marshall. Jim might be more than a little bit responsible for some of my hearing loss. Les Paul might factor in as well as John Browing for that matter!

zz2.wmv - YouTube

Nice LP Caretaker! :)
    Caertaker and gunthorp like this.

Without Jim Marshall's innovation in the amplification arena....we wouldn't have modern amps like Engl, Line6, Bogner, Randall, Mesa, etc. I got rid of my Marshall head years ago in favor of a more modern head. I'm still running into the Marshall 1960 cab tho :D

RIP Jim
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

Links