In need of prayers

This is a discussion on In need of prayers within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My father-in-law has cancer, and has taken a sudden turn for the worse. He had a barrage of tests this week and finds out Tuesday ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: In need of prayers

In need of prayers

My father-in-law has cancer, and has taken a sudden turn for the worse. He had a barrage of tests this week and finds out Tuesday what the deal is for sure, but we all know. He's a great man, only 69 years old, Vietnam Vet, and since I was 17 (I'm now 43) he has been a father/brother/best buddy to me. For 26 years he has been my golf partner, adventure wing man, travel companion, vacation buddy, fishing buddy, etc. As long as I was with my wife's Dad, she couldn't get mad at me for going and doing stuff...and we've had a lot of laughs and good times. He told me about the good old days. It is sad to see our older and wiser generations pass as we become the older generation. Who will we look to for guidance and wisdom?

Hardest part is he is in NC and we just moved to FL at Christmas. It's hard to be so far away. We came up to visit this past week and attended my wife's uncle's funeral too (his sister's husband). He was a funny character that used to go on trips with us too. And my Aunt was buried last weekend in Virginia (I didn't get to go to her funeral, she was 94). I hate it that my 3 year old son won't get to know him or remember him. He had 3 girls, so at least he has gotten to experience a little boy with my son....I just wish he had more time. He has always been full of life until the last few weeks. We played golf together less than a month ago and now he can hardly do anything. He got his first hole in one within the last month too. I'm sure gonna miss him!!!!!!!!!!! Please add my family to your prayer list. Thanks guys.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Consider it done. Peace be with you.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Lots of prayers your way partner! Look to God for wisdom as he is the wisest of them all my friend. Best place to find comfort in hard times

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Knute likes this.

A great man indeed...
    “Put your pain in a box. Lock it down. No man is stronger than one who can harness his emotions.” -Act of Valor

Bugdude, I think I'm close to his area if I recall correctly so if I can do anything for ya drop me a PM. Prayers go without saying.

Prayers for your father-in-law and also prayers for you and your family Bug. Count on it. Hoping for the best outcome too! May the Lord Bless you and your family.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'm really sorry, man. I've been through a lot of the same and I have deep sympathy for you and yours. I get a little teared up thinking about how prevalent this all is and I wish for the best for him and for your family. A life lived without pain and surrounded by love. Thanks for sharing.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." -Obligatory Founding Father Quote

Thanks guys. They've traced all of this back to Agent Orange exposure when he was in Vietnam. 40 years later and that war is still claiming lives. Much thanks and adoration to all of our Veterans...you guys rock!!!

I forgot to mention my FIL is also a strong 2A supporter and has been one of my shooting buddies for years. He has been telling me for several years now and just mentioned it again in the last couple of days that I need to get into competitive shooting...perhaps I should. He also told me the same thing about billiards...funny he never mentioned it about golf!!!!!

Prayers sent Bug! I've got some issues also, but the only thing they are really sure of is that they are not caused by Agent Orange! Funny, they can't figure it out, but know that had nothing to do with it. I also had In-Laws that I loved and interacted with until we lost them. It really makes a family when all sides get along and love each other. You've had it better than most, so did your FIL!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Praying for ya'll this morning.

God Bless and Prayers Sent
    Just try to spend as much time as you can with him as you wont regret it. Tough situation as I have been there several times
    myself and it never gets any easier.
    TC

What type of cancer? Or is it the meds?

I hate cancer. Best wishes sent, but I hate how it robs us of loved ones and makes us worry.
    Last edited by QKShooter; May 14th, 2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: remove the word "effing"
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

BD, praying for your FIL, wife, family and you!
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Prayers sent.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma 2 years ago. The doctors thought they could manage it conservatively and get him 10 more years checking him out with CTs every 6 months. He has been doing great, until the last couple months. Feeling tired and weak, hemaglobin getting lower. Tried irons pills, iron iv, then blood transfusion. The day after the blood transfusion he couldn't breathe. That's when they started the battery of tests. CT showed mass on chest wall and another in lung. Fluid building up on lungs and drawing it off. Echocardiogram showed fluid build up around heart. They also did an MRI of the brain (don't know about it yet). Pericardial effusion with lymphoma or lung cancer (which is what they expect) is a poor prognosis.

They diagnosed my Dad not long ago with prostate cancer, but it is very early and minimal at this point. He has other issues related to possible Alzheimer's which are more worrisome at this point. One of my best golf buddies died of prostate cancer a number of years back at 52. My best friend growing up, his first wife died of breast cancer in her mid 20s. It is a terrible disease, robbing families and people of time.

The reality of life is we just never know when or how. Appreciate yesterday and learn from it, prepare for tomorrow in case it comes, and make the most of today because that's all you have for sure. I'd say my FIL has done that...he has been a great mentor and buddy to me.

I've been very fortunate with my in-laws. My wife and I started dating when I was 17 and her 15 and they just took me right in and made me feel like family from the very beginning. Traveled together, went on vacations together, have done everything together even after we moved away. They always came to visit and us them. It's been super. My mother-in-law is thinking about coming to Florida to stay with us during the winter. That would be cool. I was hoping my FIL would get to do much of the same with all of the golf here in the winter, but that doesn't look possible. He did ride with me to Florida when I came and stayed with me a couple weeks in a rental and we hung out, played golf, and expored the area. That was before I moved my family and stuff down. He also came down to visit after we moved.

It just won't be the same...but things never stay the same, they always change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links