Marine's Final Act of Valor

This is a discussion on Marine's Final Act of Valor within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This occurred, near Chanute, Kansas. They gave no cause of the crash. Read the whole story... but here is a piece : Marine's final act ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 5 Post By Bark'n
  • 2 Post By WHEC724
  • 3 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By First Sgt

Thread: Marine's Final Act of Valor

This occurred, near Chanute, Kansas. They gave no cause of the crash. Read the whole story... but here is a piece :

Marine's final act of valor saved friend from plane wreck | Fox News

Marine's final act of valor saved friend from plane wreck
    Published May 14, 2012 FoxNews.com

An Oklahoma Marine made the ultimate sacrifice when he pulled a friend out of a fiery plane wreck, saving her life but suffering fatal burns over 90 percent of his body.

Friends of Hannah Luce, the lone survivor of Friday's crash of a twin-engine Cessna 401 just northwest of Chanute, Kan., hailed Austin Anderson as a hero who gave his life without a second thought. The pair was among five young adults bound from Tulsa for a Christian youth group conference in Iowa.

“He is a very tough guy, but once you got to know he was such much of a teddy bear,” Lauren Rockett said of the man she got to know at Oral Roberts University. “It would be totally like Austin's character.”

Three companions aboard the flight, Stephen Luth, Luke Sheets and Garrett Coble, died instantly, but Anderson, 27, and Luce, 22, survived the crash. Luce was trapped inside the burning fuselage, but Anderson managed to pull her out and guide her to a nearby road. Luce had a passerby call her father while they waited for an ambulance, which then took them to a Wichita hospital. Anderson died there early Saturday morning.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Semper Fidelis...rest in peace
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    That was a very sad, but inspiring story.
    The young girl and her family will never forget.
    May God rest his unselfish soul
    scgunlover1 likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Uncommon Valor is a common trait in many Marines.

Rest now, but standby for new orders. You will now, and forever more be guarding the streets of Heaven. Peace be with you Marine!

Semper Fi, Austin.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Very sad,God, Bless Him and His family,Amen

VIP Member
    Semper Fi, Austin

God bless you and your family
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    I saw this briefly in the news while cooking dinner last night. It didn't have this detail, but I suspected that some serious heroism had been demonstrated.

Reading this, I held it together until I saw where they were headed on their flight. Given what he demonstrated here, I can't imagine the duties and roles he'll enjoy in Heaven.
    oneshot and scgunlover1 like this.

He had served 2 tours in Iraq. In the crash and rescue, he suffered burns over 90% of his body ..... wouldn't stop until he had her out and safe. ... yet he & she walked to the road afterwards to try to flag vehicles down for help.

I can't even begin to imagine that.....

He has a special place..... in heaven.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    .....and they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines.

Semper Fi rest in peace brother.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Who needs super heroes? We got real, live, people who are here amongst us (for a while anyway)... maybe they're really angels in disguise... regardless...

As I write these words on an inexplicably blurry monitor, I applaud those heroes like Austin Anderson, and pray that little kids get to see what real live superheroes do... every day in this country, and defending this country abroad...

My condolences to Austin's family, who must surely be grieving, yet need to know he has met the Lord. Who has told him "Well done, My good and faithful servant"

Amen
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

A true Warrior who had his "Angel's Wings" awarded BEFORE his arrival on his next duty station. RIP Austin Anderson...
    oneshot likes this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    I can think of no better ending for anyone. Well done!

Sponsored Links