Recovery

This is a discussion on Recovery within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; May 9th, I had back surgery- I had discussed it with a few of you previously, if you can remember. I went through with it, ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By RevolvingMag
  • 1 Post By highvoltage

Thread: Recovery

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

Recovery

May 9th, I had back surgery- I had discussed it with a few of you previously, if you can remember. I went through with it, and now I feel great. We did a 3-level decompression and fusion on L3-S1- my incision starts just below my ribs, and runs to just above... well, just above the crack... (Sorry to be so crude, but... yeah) No staples, just sutures that are coming out later today- a bit late, but still coming out today.

I haven't been pain free for ten years, and now the only pain I feel is really in my back where the incision is- obviously. But, this isn't the main reason for my post. I wanted to tell you all about the things that have happened to me since. And it's been a whirlwind- some good, some bad, but all of it with an underlying amount of wonderful because I can smile now.

A week after my surgery, I got moved from CMC Pineville to the HealthSouth facility in Rock Hill. And I actually had a wonderful time. (Believe it or not)

I arrived there Wednesday evening and started therapy Thursday morning. Started Occupational Therapy at around 8am, and spent the next 3 1/2 hours working hard. I got to the Physical Therapy room and was amazed. I was by far the youngest patient there. The only people close to my age were the therapists. And, all of the male therapists I spoke to are fellow gunners, and my female case worker and her husband are gunners as well. Made the whole thing much more fun.

The next youngest patient I met was my senior by about 25 years. But, while I was working all the 'little old ladies' loved me; we laughed, joked, and had a great time while we were exercising, and 'therapy-ing'. But what really blew my mind, were the men there.

There were a few men I spoke to that were either WWII, Korean, or Vietnam vets. Or any combination of the three. I talked to them all as much as I could, and we got along great. We talked everything from guns, to cars, to women (their topic, not mine), to the wars and how the guys who were in Vietnam talked about shooting a bunch of trees. But, after our talks, they all seemed to work harder. They smiled at their therapists more, they joked, they laughed, and they put forth a much larger effort to get more done. I felt good, they felt better, and we all healed.

Shortly after leaving the hospital I found out that my cousin had killed himself. 23 years old, and shot himself. The only really not terrible part of it all is that he was an organ/tissue donor and he's going on to help 60+ people. Jason Lee Gunwall was a good man, and loved by many people- he will be missed by many. His memorial service was Sunday, and I was there. I worked extra hard to make sure of it. My therapists were astounded at how fast I was progressing.

They wrote me out as "Mod-I" (Moderately Independent) w/walker. But, Saturday, I was walking around the PT room carrying a cane. Sunday, I used the walker as little as possible. Mostly relying on my cane. And, I still don't use the walker as much as I can avoid it. I start outpatient PT on the 4th, and was told Saturday to tell my therapists that I don't need the walker, that I'm ready for the cane- they just had to put "w/walker" on my paperwork because they didn't think anyone would believe I was already using just a cane.

I haven't been here in a while, and I figured someone might be interested in what's been going on.
    phreddy and msgt/ret like this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

2. Remove Ads

Here's wishing for a speedy recovery for you. It's good to see you posting again.

VIP Member
    I'm sorry about your cousin. I hate suicides. I lost a friend that way.

It is good to see you back. Chronic pain can suck the life out of you. I hope you're well on your way to a complete and pain-free recovery.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Good luck with your recovery. I had L4-S1 fusion back in 1996. I've doing great ever since. Visit a chiropractor every two weeks and get a deep tissue massage once a month. I was out digging trenches for 6 hours on Saturday, never felt better.
    lyz_grace likes this.

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    families and events.....both the good and the bad. some say everything happens for a reason, though we may never know the details.
    and you mention the donor card......

what caught my attention was the 10 years of pain. and now relief. oddly, as i do not know you,
    yet i feel good for you. i'm in year 4 of peripheral neuropathy and the meds but hardly take the edge off now.
    my doc's are optimistice that it will get worse. at least they have some humor.

take this time and share your enjoyment
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

I'm so sorry about your cousin It's terrible when someone so young is so confused.

I just felt like I needed to chime in as the daughter-in-law of two chiropractors and the wife of a soon-to-be-chiropractor to echo highvoltage and say make sure you stay adjusted! There are ton of different chiropractic methods out there - find one you're comfortable with and you'll be set for life Good job with the speedy recovery!

VIP Member
    glad you're feeling better, continued good luck to you

and sorry about the cousin, I know how difficult that is, had friends and one extended family member get to that point
    I had to deal with one at work this weekend also, terrible for all involved
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Great news on your recovery! Not so on your cousin. May God give peace to his family and friends, RM.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Thank you, everybody for the well wishes for myself, who you hardly know except through some words on a screen, but even more so for the well wishes for my family who you've never met at all.

It really means a lot to me. We're all doing pretty well, my wife's birthday is tomorrow, so my aunt and uncle might come up to see her for her birthday- especially since it gives them an opportunity to get out of that part of the state for a few hours.

I'm still stiff- of course- but plugging away. Got the sutures out of my back yesterday afternoon, and I really feel SO much better. It's amazing how much those little... suckers can pull and hurt. I hope never to have any more stitches anywhere again- they weren't that bad except for the pulling on my skin... ugh.

Just waiting until I can get back to the range... I need some serious range time.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

So happy to hear you are on the mend. I have continued hope for a full recovery for you.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your cousin. Sometimes we never know what pain and personal demons chase those we love. I pray for peace and acceptance for you and your family. This too is a type of recovery.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Congratulations on your recovery and condolences on your cousin. Being in Rock Hill you may have had my brother as a therapist, his name is Will but I am not sure where he works.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Links